Surprised there is no scuttlebutt yet over this. 

10lb fire suppression systems mandatory in 2019 for DIRT BB's SB's, sprints and late models. Sportsmans get a 50;lb weight break for 2019 if you run them and mandatory for all sportsman in 2020. System from what ive seen start at about $600 and on average $800.

They made it optional last year, but did say it was going to be mandatory this coming year. 

1 minute ago, TheKraken said:

Surprised there is no scuttlebutt yet over this. 

10lb fire suppression systems mandatory in 2019 for DIRT BB's SB's, sprints and late models. Sportsmans get a 50;lb weight break for 2019 if you run them and mandatory for all sportsman in 2020. System from what ive seen start at about $600 and on average $800.

When priced we were looking about $500

Great idea. Cant see many quitting this sport over a additional safety feature.

• Like 1

At least it's finally getting sportsman back down to 2400 lbs.  I don't know why they have to continue offering steel wheels a weight break though.

They seem to be running around $700 for a legal system. Keep in mind they have to have 2 thermally activated nozzles, be 10lb, and have steel lines. Also, it is about $30 to recertify them every two years and they are only good for 6 years total. After 6 years the bottle needs to be replaced at about $400. If the system discharges it's about $300 to recharge them. The shipping charges for these systems require haz mat at $27.50 on top of the actual shipping charges. So it's about $100 for round trip shipping to the manufacturer for recharge or recertification.

I am all for fire suppression systems, but the speedway cold fire system is $700. That system can be recharged by the racer, doesn't have to be recertified, and doesn't have and expiration date.

Must be I'm not looking in the right places.  Any I've seen that are 10#, automatic and SFI certified are over $800.  

Am I missing something?

In today’s day of racing safety is s top priority!! But with it comes a price. And the other issue comes is comparing the same standards of system. I will be offering a system that has been proven to have many advantages because not all systems are the same. The cheaper systems use an agent that is more harmful to breath and recks havoc with wiring in your car. Some systems the bottle uses a tube inside the bottle that if upside down will not empty the whole bottle. The system I’m going to recommend was tested to put out fire in SFI testing in under 1.75 seconds were others are over 5 seconds! Now if you don’t think 3 plus seconds of extra protection isnt important think about this , would you rather be in a fire any longer then you have too? I get that this is a big expense for a lot of teams. But also I just want people to know that don’t jump on the cheapest option you see out there if your looking for the best protection. 

David

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

In today’s day of racing safety is s top priority!! But with it comes a price. And the other issue comes is comparing the same standards of system. I will be offering a system that has been proven to have many advantages because not all systems are the same. The cheaper systems use an agent that is more harmful to breath and recks havoc with wiring in your car. Some systems the bottle uses a tube inside the bottle that if upside down will not empty the whole bottle. The system I’m going to recommend was tested to put out fire in SFI testing in under 1.75 seconds were others are over 5 seconds! Now if you don’t think 3 plus seconds of extra protection isnt important think about this , would you rather be in a fire any longer then you have too? I get that this is a big expense for a lot of teams. But also I just want people to know that don’t jump on the cheapest option you see out there if your looking for the best protection. 

David

Spot on right there with that post. Heres my suggestion for drivers that feel this is a financial burden,  how about not spending $800-1K on a new wrap for 2019 and instead buy the fire suppression system? Problem solved, your racing and your safer than before. 

• Like 1

I guess I overlooked this because it does not say what the suppression chemical is, and it is specified in the rules.

Funny it says for Lucas Oil Late Model Series but does not mention WOO.

And their site (firebottleracing.com) says it should be sent back annually to be inspected.

Not sure about what's in it. My last firebottle had the DuPont fe36. They don't have to be sent back every year, but apparently firebottle wants you too. The sfi 17.1 spec does require them to be recertified every 2 years.

13 minutes ago, TheKraken said:

Spot on right there with that post. Heres my suggestion for drivers that feel this is a financial burden,  how about not spending $800-1K on a new wrap for 2019 and instead buy the fire suppression system? Problem solved, your racing and your safer than before. 

Never had a wrap on any car I have ever raced. Not worth the $$ unless the sponsor wants one and they are paying for it.

On Speedways description of the product, I love this:

"Some parts are not legal for use in California or other states with similar laws/regulations"

3 hours ago, matt_s86 said:

At least it's finally getting sportsman back down to 2400 lbs.  I don't know why they have to continue offering steel wheels a weight break though.

I feel like we’ll be back to 2450 after next year though. This is just to handcuff the guys that don’t have it basically. 

Tho I very much agree with the rule (I have had one in my car for two years). I disagree with it being a mandatory automated system. Basically, the one I have now is useless and I have to go out and spend another grand or more to be “within the rules”. 

Side note, they do work very well, used mine this season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam Leslie said:

I feel like we’ll be back to 2450 after next year though. This is just to handcuff the guys that don’t have it basically. 

Tho I very much agree with the rule (I have had one in my car for two years). I disagree with it being a mandatory automated system. Basically, the one I have now is useless and I have to go out and spend another grand or more to be “within the rules”. 

Side note, they do work very well, used mine this season. 

I wonder how much money DIRT is making on this move?

• Like 1

Does the system actually weigh 50Lbs or is the weight break just some asinine thing to create a competitive disadvantage to half the field? Yes, i know its supposed to motivate people to get them but at the cost of creating a competitive disadvantage is really really dumb. 50lbs is allot on these low HP cars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racer80 said:

I wonder how much money DIRT is making on this move?

I don’t think they’re making money off this as they havnt told us to buy only “x” system to be legal Or even only one manufacturer we can choose from (like they do with tires/fuel).

Just now, TheKraken said:

Does the system actually weigh 50Lbs or is the weight break just some asinine thing to create a competitive disadvantage to half the field? Yes, i know its supposed to motivate people to get them but at the cost of creating a competitive disadvantage is really really dumb. 50lbs is allot on these low HP cars. 

The system weighs MAYBE 15lbs total. So yes. The weight break is designed to “encourage” us to get it ASAP or be at a disadvantage to those who have it.  IMO anyways

I think a lot of these fire suppression rules are being either mandated or incentivized by the insurance companies who insure the sanctions. Lucas, for instance, has the same rules. Charlie Floyd dying in the fire brought the issue to the forefront. 

15 minutes ago, Josh Bayko said:

I think a lot of these fire suppression rules are being either mandated or incentivized by the insurance companies who insure the sanctions. Lucas, for instance, has the same rules. Charlie Floyd dying in the fire brought the issue to the forefront. 

That’s when I bought mine. After his death. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Adam Leslie said:

That’s when I bought mine. After his death. 

It was tough to get them for a while after his death because they kept selling out. Racing can be such a reactionary sport when it comes to safety. 

2 hours ago, TheKraken said:

The vehicle weight is what it is...2450 aluminum wheels, 2400 with steel.

Add a fire suppressant system that meets their criteria and you can knock 50lbs off those numbers.

Hypothetically even if the system weighed 500lbs, you still get to weigh 2400 or 2350 with one installed. 

Same deal for pro stocks.

When they are mandated in 2020, will the weights go back up to where they were or stay at the 50lb less?

Anyone trying to run both AR and the DIRTcar sportsman at Outlaw with the same car will either have to put weight on and off or run heavy with AR's or have the fire system so the weight will be 2400 for both runs.

3 minutes ago, Darrell Welty said:

Anyone trying to run both AR and the DIRTcar sportsman at Outlaw with the same car will either have to put weight on and off or run heavy with AR's or have the fire system so the weight will be 2400 for both runs.

You're going to have to buy one for 2020 anyway the weight vs cost thing is basically a moot point you're going to have to get one anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Darrell Welty said:

Now you at least have the option of weighing the same everywhere if you get the Fire Suppression system.