Sign in to follow this  
Goggles Paesano

Carrier Dome Indoor Races

I'm wondering why a guy like Jeremie Corcoran or another promoter hasn't taken a swing at doing a dirt race inside the Carrier Dome.  I think it would be a home run.  Yes, they couldn't draw in Albany but I think it could work in Syracuse.  DIRT Mods, Midgets, Sportsman, Late Models. What do you think?  

That’s an awful lot of work to squeeze in between all the events at the dome during the winter...building a dirt track sustainable for full size cars and holding a multi day event at the dome is not possible given the winter schedule there....just finding a place for the pits would be tough....parking can be a nightmare for people in cars never the less stacker haulers....

• Like 1

I wish AMA Supercross would race in the dome.  I would rather go there than Toronto

side note. I heard there is no air conditioning in the dome. True?

46 minutes ago, leroy said:

side note. I heard there is no air conditioning in the dome. True?

Yes.  Not a problem for most events, but the Florida St football game was brutal. 

12 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

True...but the renovation plans call for a/c 

4 minutes ago, Fulbrew said:

Yes.  Not a problem for most events, but the Florida St football game was brutal. 

The  main reason i thought this was crazy,  "Carrier Dome"?   do they not do refrigeration?😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leroy said:

The  main reason i thought this was crazy,  "Carrier Dome"?   do they not do refrigeration?😀

Willis Carrier, a New York native, invented air conditioning. Hence the "Carrier" dome.

8 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Never be able to fit it in with all the high school football playoffs and Syracuse basketball schedule.

My thoughts exactly.  They wouldn't have access to the Dome until at least April unless they aren't hosting any NCAA tourney games.

Yeah I doubt any race they would have could fill that place like an Orangeman home game. Not gonna replace your bread and butter for a novelty race.

The racing at St Louis in the dime has been pretty lackluster, and the crowds were down this year. I don’t think doing the exact same thing in NY would be worth the time, effort, and money required to put on such an event would be prudent. The chances of making any RoI are extraordinarily low. 

10 hours ago, TheUnderdogBulldog said:

My thoughts exactly.  They wouldn't have access to the Dome until at least April unless they aren't hosting any NCAA tourney games.

It would be more like June after you factor in Men's and Women's Lacrosse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh Bayko said:

The racing at St Louis in the dime has been pretty lackluster, and the crowds were down this year. I don’t think doing the exact same thing in NY would be worth the time, effort, and money required to put on such an event would be prudent. The chances of making any RoI are extraordinarily low. 

I don't know if the crowd was really "down" as I believe they announced a sell out of the lower bowl area.  I think though they were hoping to sell enough tickets to open the upper deck, which didn't happen. 

I think they are onto something with having the midget division there, but they need to get the track figured out.  This year they really struggled between the Late Models and the UMP's with track conditions.  I thought the announcers were polite when they said the track had "character" at times during the live show.

I'm no track prep expert, but they need to get that figured out or their gonna start losing cars as well.  The combination of the horsepower of the late models and the narrow tires of the UMP's has caused for a rough, one lane track surface every year now.

1 hour ago, FondaFan16 said:

I don't know if the crowd was really "down" as I believe they announced a sell out of the lower bowl area.  I think though they were hoping to sell enough tickets to open the upper deck, which didn't happen. 

I think they are onto something with having the midget division there, but they need to get the track figured out.  This year they really struggled between the Late Models and the UMP's with track conditions.  I thought the announcers were polite when they said the track had "character" at times during the live show.

I'm no track prep expert, but they need to get that figured out or their gonna start losing cars as well.  The combination of the horsepower of the late models and the narrow tires of the UMP's has caused for a rough, one lane track surface every year now.

I talked to some people that were out there this year and they mentioned the crowds were down some. It’s entirely possible the date change had something to do with that. 

I don’t really think that full size cars like late models and mods are a good idea on a track like that. Sure, the race Belle Claire and Macon which are roughly the same size as the dome track, but their surfaces are far from temporary and both are a little wider and have a bit more banking. 

Midgets are very much the best choice for indoor races. They should maybe drop the lates and mods and make it solely a midget event. Maybe add some mod lites or something. They aren’t anywhere near as brutal on the surface. 

Also, one of the reborn XFL teams is going to be playing there. That might screw with the ability to have this event there in the future. 

12 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Never be able to fit it in with all the high school football playoffs and Syracuse basketball schedule.

This the correct answer.   Events like AMA Supercross and Monster Jam almost always are done during the offseason for the pro or college teams that call domes or stadiums home.  

I'd much rather see a show of Midgets, 600 micros, etc. on a track at the Dome. They could easily get a ton of 600s from PA/NJ.

Have Slingshots, Xcel 600s Mods and/or Cage Karts as support divisions, same show Lenny's family runs in NJ/PA all winter, just on dirt. If you make sure Stewie, Matt, the Dr, and all of the other big names have a ride, the fans will be there.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, Josh Bayko said:

I talked to some people that were out there this year and they mentioned the crowds were down some. It’s entirely possible the date change had something to do with that. 

I don’t really think that full size cars like late models and mods are a good idea on a track like that. Sure, the race Belle Claire and Macon which are roughly the same size as the dome track, but their surfaces are far from temporary and both are a little wider and have a bit more banking. 

Midgets are very much the best choice for indoor races. They should maybe drop the lates and mods and make it solely a midget event. Maybe add some mod lites or something. They aren’t anywhere near as brutal on the surface. 

Also, one of the reborn XFL teams is going to be playing there. That might screw with the ability to have this event there in the future. 

XFL season isnt supposed to start until after nfl comes to an end in February so I would think it would be fine 

17 hours ago, inthecuse said:

How was the attendance at the East Coast Nationals this year and compared to previous years??

Up from last year. Not a sellout by any means but it's trending in the right direction.

• Thanks 1