I dare anyone to say with a straight face that Doug Hoffman, Jimmy Horton, Pauch, Toby Tobias, Chamberlain, Fitzcharles, Brenn, Budd Olsen, Frankie Schnieder, Carl Van Horn, Kenny Brightbill, Craig Von Dohren, Duane Howard and Jeff Strunk are/were not among the best Modified drivers in their generation. 

To say that the NJ/PA guys can't win without bashing through the field is just plain wrong. It kind of verges on the PA Posse vs. Outlaws whinefest.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, BillSmith said:

I dare anyone to say with a straight face that Doug Hoffman, Jimmy Horton, Pauch, Toby Tobias, Chamberlain, Fitzcharles, Brenn, Budd Olsen, Frankie Schnieder, Carl Van Horn, Kenny Brightbill, Craig Von Dohren, Duane Howard and Jeff Strunk are/were not among the best Modified drivers in their generation. 

To say that the NJ/PA guys can't win without bashing through the field is just plain wrong. It kind of verges on the PA Posse vs. Outlaws whinefest.

This is kind of related to what you're saying, maybe not, but did you ever see how the Accord regulars treat Frank Cozze when he runs there?   

13 hours ago, DaRooster said:

This is kind of related to what you're saying, maybe not, but did you ever see how the Accord regulars treat Frank Cozze when he runs there?   

I realized after I posted I forgot to include Cozze in that list ... I'm sure I overlooked a bunch of other guys, too. The PA/NJ guys didn't follow the DIRT circuit because most of the races are so far away from their home areas and they have a lot of good paying races locally. Just like Fred Rahmer always said he never wanted to tour because he can make good money staying in Central PA and sleeping in his own bed every night. PA/NJ guys have always done well when competing against the NY guys. BOTH areas have great teams. 

A PA/NJ vs NY rivalry is good for Modified racing, it gets the fans excited ... but there is no denying both areas have produced great drivers. It is a shame things are so fragmented that we're not getting too many of those "big" shootout races anymore.

It's funny how the PA guys get slammed for "slam bang" driving at Grandview but really, it's no different at Glen Ridge or Accord or any other bullring. There's a reason those things have big bumpers and siderails.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The PA/NJ drivers were always ahead of the game equipment wise in the 70's at least. jmo

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, BillSmith said:

Wait a minute Bill- don't put Grandview/ Diamond guys in with the other All Time greats that you mentioned. The drivers and racing there is different than anywhere else, it's very rough compared to NY. 

However, CVD, Duane and Strunk can go to other places and completely change their style, for instance Duane Howard is probably one of the best guys to run Syracuse .

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, ranger22 said:

I agree with pretty much all but your last sentence. The weekly fields at Reading in it's prime were second to none, forget all the modified regulars, you also had Kenny Weld, Bobby Allen and Lee Osborne. Lynn Paxton had starts in a Mod. The purses Lindy paid in the 70's were the reason.

I wasn't putting down Reading at all, you are 100% right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oilman said:

Wait a minute Bill- don't put Grandview/ Diamond guys in with the other All Time greats that you mentioned. The drivers and racing there is different than anywhere else, it's very rough compared to NY. 

However, CVD, Duane and Strunk can go to other places and completely change their style, for instance Duane Howard is probably one of the best guys to run Syracuse .

The Grandview/Big D guys have shown they can win anywhere ... they adapt to the circumstances. I think one of the reasons that CVD, Duane and Strunk don't quite have the same reputation as some of the other superstars is that honestly they don't need to travel as much to get some pretty big paydays since the purses at their home tracks are so good. So they don't earn the reputation of the guys who run all up and down the East Coast. 

But yeah, the PA 358 circuit is high contact. :)

Grandview isn't anywhere near as rough as used it be back in the days in 55-60 cars weekly and 9:1 engines in which everyone was so even. Back in the 1980s and '90s, it was not unusual to have three or four cars flip a night. There are a lot of weeks when the feature runs with only a couple cautions. That almost never happened a generation ago. But it is just tight, bullring racing. That's racing on a small, tight track and handicapping.

The racing was not at all like that at Penn National, where the same drivers ran weekly, or even at Susquehanna during their Modified years. In addition, Howard and CVD in particular have always been really good at Bridgeport, which is the biggest weekly Modified track in the Northeast. Howard, CVD and Strunk are all really good at Georgetown, which is another big half-mile.

Not every place is Syracuse or Lebanon Valley or Bridgeport, nor should it be.

One of the bigger surprises of the entire 2018 season was Mike Gular going to OCFS and winning the Deyo show during Eastern States last year. That is a guy who people on this board almost never see race.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2019 at 6:44 PM, rpm72x said:

He’s a N.Y. dirt regular....the fact that Brett has raced in ny his whole career explains why his cars look nice all season and why he has 900 wins instead of 1500

No offense, Brett is one of the greatest of all time, but what was his record like when he tried to run East Windsor.   Flemington also had a pretty stout field.  Brett is from Sussex, which is almost as close to OCFS as Pauch was to Flemington, so why would he have run in NJ on Saturdays for the first 2/3 of his career.  There is no way he would have had as many wins racked up at Flemington as he did running two divisions every week at OCFS either.

NY has the better touring drivers than PA/NJ do and have for the last 10-15 (maybe even 20) years, but that was not always the case.  Unfortunately between PA/NJ/DE combined now there are less tracks in three states that run mods regularly than there are in small regions of Upstate NY.   Racing is dying a slow death in NJ and PA is Sprint Car Country until you get within 30 miles of the Delaware River (especially since Penn National Closed and Susky went back to Sprints and SSportsman).  Mods in Western PA are a high level support division at best anymore, and the inability to get a handle on the rules from region to region hasn't helped matters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1