Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Lawrence

Florida Dream 602 Winter Nationals

On 1/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, robracer said:

What has been said is what I meant. We're going because it's a vacation in February. We race 1 night a week and a regional touring series and that taps out the help for the summer or we would do more high dollar shows like Jake is talking about. I don't think the sportsman guys stand to lose any more than the UMP mod guys, the crate late guys or the BB guys that go to Florida. 

GUYS I WON MY FIRST  RACE AS A CAR OWNER IN 84 AT VOLUSIA  IT PAYED MORE THEN !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Keep supporting these peanut paying races. Promoters love the money they dont have to pay out. I cant understand why you would tow all the way to Florida for such putrid purses vacation or not. A lot of you didn't support devils bowl with $10k and now you want to tow 3000 miles round trip for $1200 to win. Keep setting modified and crate sportsman back to the stone ages. And that comment youll race in front of a ton of people means what ? It didnt put anymore money into the purse.

1 hour ago, premiumdiesel said:

And that comment youll race in front of a ton of people means what ? It didnt put anymore money into the purse.

Drivers have proven time and time again that its not about the money.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, premiumdiesel said:

Keep supporting these peanut paying races. Promoters love the money they dont have to pay out. I cant understand why you would tow all the way to Florida for such putrid purses vacation or not. A lot of you didn't support devils bowl with $10k and now you want to tow 3000 miles round trip for $1200 to win. Keep setting modified and crate sportsman back to the stone ages. And that comment youll race in front of a ton of people means what ? It didnt put anymore money into the purse.

I agree. And some driver's will drive that far in an attempt to cherry pick and stat pad . Ur correct, it's not about the money.

9 hours ago, premiumdiesel said:

Yeah guys....don't do what you enjoy or want to do. Do what some guy on an internet message board tells you to do!

4 hours ago, John Williams said:

Yeah guys....don't do what you enjoy or want to do. Do what some guy on an internet message board tells you to do!

Don't piss and moan down the road about the purses staying the same year after year.....

• Like 2

and once again those with the least in the game continue to make the worst comments ever. if i were a promoter i would see just how low i can go before the teams wont come and then bump it up just enough to the where they will come. id pay like $10 to take the green and 400 to win. id bet id get sheppard, and the rest of the series regulars to come since its not about the money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, premiumdiesel said:

and once again those with the least in the game continue to make the worst comments ever. if i were a promoter i would see just how low i can go before the teams wont come and then bump it up just enough to the where they will come. id pay like $10 to take the green and 400 to win. id bet id get sheppard, and the rest of the series regulars to come since its not about the money. 

1p9zdg.jpg

1 hour ago, premiumdiesel said:

I believe we are discussing 602 Crate  racers......not Sheppard and the rest of the series regulars.

34 minutes ago, premiumdiesel said:

why do you have to be such an ahole ? if someones opinion isn't in line with yours you have to resort to sh like this ? 

Look, I made my post without pretending to use what some would call offensive language.

May I ask a question? What would be a decent purse for this SPORTSMAN race? I mean they are paying $1000 the 1st night $1200 the 2nd night & $2000 to win which isn't bad. That pay has been considered decent in New York. But because the race is in Flordia everyone needs to express on how bad the pay is. Is that the promters fault the race isn't in NY? Shaould every sportman team from NY that attends this race be bashed?

• Like 2

Jake didn’t you tow your car all the way to Charlotte a few seasons ago to race for peanuts?    Like everyone has said drivers don’t care about money.  Shit look at Malta every week huge fields in all divisions packed house in the stands and they have the worse payouts in the area

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

Don't piss and moan down the road about the purses staying the same year after year.....

2000 to win is half a motor for a sportsman car. I think the purse is fine for this event

1 hour ago, Devin Willis said:

2000 to win is half a motor for a sportsman car. I think the purse is fine for this event

That's like, what, $20,000 to win in Big Block dollars, right?

This particular race is not about the purse -- it is a combination of it's a novelty and some prestige and hey, let's go to Florida on vacation and write the whole thing off under our "marketing" budget.

It's not too different from all the teams that have invested a whole lot to run at their local track for $150 to start every week (when, basically, it seems like it costs at least $300-500 a week just to show up and finish last and that's before counting what you spent to get a car, motors, spare parts and a hauler before the season started) and then also haul all the way to Eldora or Charlotte for not much more than gas money to cover the hauler.

It's something cool to do that's out of the ordinary. You know that going in ... and if you have a good week and win some money, cool. It's once a year and therefore, like the World Finals or SuperDIRT Week or the Tulsa Shootout or the Chili Bowl, it's a fun novelty and so guys are going to support it.

• Like 1

The sportsman racing at North Florida Speedway are actually not getting much less than the Super Late Models and Tour Type Modifieds at New Smyrna.(and The New Smyrna World Series is an established event that has been around for about 50 years)

14 hours ago, montess said:

May I ask a question? What would be a decent purse for this SPORTSMAN race? I mean they are paying $1000 the 1st night $1200 the 2nd night & $2000 to win which isn't bad. That pay has been considered decent in New York. But because the race is in Flordia everyone needs to express on how bad the pay is. Is that the promters fault the race isn't in NY? Shaould every sportman team from NY that attends this race be bashed?

I think what some are saying is if you're willing to travel to Florida for these events then why not support promoters in the Northeast that have events with much higher purses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott Friers said:

I think what some are saying is if you're willing to travel to Florida for these events then why not support promoters in the Northeast that have events with much higher purses.

True. But how do you know that all these sportman teams that are going to Florida haven't been supporting the big races in NY? It just seems like a lot of negativity for a race that is like 15+hrs away.

1 hour ago, Scott Friers said:

i think it's a few things ... for these huge local shows, they know there is going to be a field of top-flight cars, so a guy who is midweek at his local track figures I probably won't even be able to qualify or my car will get destroyed by somebody trying to bash through the field. A lot of teams are trying to just make sure they can get out to the track every week during the season -- extra races are harder for mid-budget and low-budget teams that rely on volunteer crew members to travel.

This event is very different -- 1) not going to be a huge field of cars, so a mid-pack car will have a decent shot to qualify. 2) months to prepare 3) It's a chance to get out of the cold and into the sun for a few days and there happens to be a race going on. 

• Like 2

What about the fans who go to all or part of "speedweeks" in Fla., drive or fly 1500 miles, have to pay for lodging and meals every day they are there, take a chance on the weather, pay higher ticket prices, etc. ………… the same fans who do not go to a race at home, even a high paying one,  because the admission is to high, or the track is 2 hrs away, or it's a mid week show, or it might rain, or...….. .

Why do they go to Florida in February?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, premiumdiesel said:

New payout structure as follows:  

1. $1,000
  2.    $500
  3.    $400
  4.    $300
  5.    $200
  6. thru  24.   $100

Make the Trophies a little bigger and they will still come. You wouldn't lose a single car!

Why race if the drivers feel they can't win or will get wrecked? Sit on the damn couch and watch it then if you think that way. 

• Like 1

Guys let me throw this out there and maybe I’m wrong . 

1) the races at NFS are paying as good as the Dirtcar series and Roc do for sportsman for a reg series race?

2) it’s 3 consecutive nights so you can park the hauler and not move racing for 3 purses?

3) this is an option not mandatory. It’s a testing of the waters to see the kind of support . Plus it’s also a good test and tune before the up coming season. Half the drivers might have been going down to watch at Volusia or Daytona so the fuel is just a little extra. 

4) when is the last time a sportsman series got a track intrested enough to be broadcasting on the Internet? Even though there is a cost it’s still good exposure for sponsors. 

5)if they paid more you would have more experienced drivers cherry picking. Yes I understand the cars maybe be the same but there’s no replacing experience!!

im pretty sure Phil at NFS would love to make this an even bigger event next year. But also he can’t go over board paying silly money if the support isn’t there. He’s bringing the sportsman to weekly racing at his track. Give the guy some slack. He posted a respectable purse and isn’t charging a fortune to get in. So good luck to all the racers coming down and I’ll see you at the track. 

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2