Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Lawrence

Florida Dream 602 Winter Nationals

4 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

I think what some are saying is if you're willing to travel to Florida for these events then why not support promoters in the Northeast that have events with much higher purses.

Because Florida isn't in the northeast.  It's a unique experience that has merit well beyond just the payout.  The high temp is Lake City next Friday is looking to be around 80 degrees.  When is the last time it was 80 in New York, August?  :p   It's a little vacation with racing mixed in!    

6 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Guys let me throw this out there and maybe I’m wrong . 

1) the races at NFS are paying as good as the Dirtcar series and Roc do for sportsman for a reg series race?

2) it’s 3 consecutive nights so you can park the hauler and not move racing for 3 purses?

3) this is an option not mandatory. It’s a testing of the waters to see the kind of support . Plus it’s also a good test and tune before the up coming season. Half the drivers might have been going down to watch at Volusia or Daytona so the fuel is just a little extra. 

4) when is the last time a sportsman series got a track intrested enough to be broadcasting on the Internet? Even though there is a cost it’s still good exposure for sponsors. 

5)if they paid more you would have more experienced drivers cherry picking. Yes I understand the cars maybe be the same but there’s no replacing experience!!

im pretty sure Phil at NFS would love to make this an even bigger event next year. But also he can’t go over board paying silly money if the support isn’t there. He’s bringing the sportsman to weekly racing at his track. Give the guy some slack. He posted a respectable purse and isn’t charging a fortune to get in. So good luck to all the racers coming down and I’ll see you at the track. 

David

Why is it that yourself and a couple others seem to be hinting that the field is soft for this one. On the roster are Warner, Thompson, Inmann and Smith these same drivers would be a threat to win any race anywhere. They are previous track and series champions in that group, not to mention Danny Johnson and Brett Hearn. 

20 minutes ago, racerguy said:

Why is it that yourself and a couple others seem to be hinting that the field is soft for this one. On the roster are Warner, Thompson, Inmann and Smith these same drivers would be a threat to win any race anywhere. They are previous track and series champions in that group, not to mention Danny Johnson and Brett Hearn. 

Until this race happens I wouldn’t put a lot of faith in that roster of drivers. 

• Like 1

I've been having fun posting all kinds of nostalgia stuff on my facebook page and you know what? Nobody complains. I don't click on every thread when I come here, just the ones that interest me most. Every now and then I click on the others to keep caught up.

One thing I've noticed over the years...

We've got some of the best racing to be found anywhere in the country, and some of the worst fans who intently look for shit to complain about.

• Like 11

Timeout Racerguy!!!!!

were did I say the field is soft?? 

Sportsman class is one of the most competitive racing there is. I think they will have a good turn out. I have heard but don’t quote me Thompson has decided to possible run big block at Volusia instead of NSF. I do hate to see big block drivers dropping back down. Don’t hate me Jake but even Rocky I hate to see go back down. I think it’s going to be good deal for the sportsman. 

So just so you understand Racerguy I’m all for this show and wish nothing but success Phil and NFS for bringing the sportsman down to Florida. I’ll be there!! Will you??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BobMiller said:

\We've got some of the best racing to be found anywhere in the country, and some of the worst fans who intently look for shit to complain about.

Agreed. Some folks need to spend a couple of seasons down in the South to realize what we have up here.

Time trials ... for every single car. 8 divisions, each with no more than 10 cars. First feature starts after midnight. Oooh, sign me up.

That said, there are pockets all over the country where racing seems to be thriving ... the Midwest seems really strong in particular. But we have a really good thing up here.

• Like 3

Just throwing my 2 cents into the mix. First off, I think this race is a great idea and I would LOVE to run in it! But it would be exactly like others have said, for the fun experience and the extra exposure. NOT for the purse. That being said we are a practical low budget race team. When a bent part will still work as well as a straight one we keep running the bent part. Frankly with no sponsors and running on a shoe-string budget we do not have the funds to tow to Florida and back regardless of the purse. If you're a small team you would be better off saving your money for tires and such for the regular season. If you have the budget to actually go to Florida and do it right, I say go for it! But I'm very envious of you and I have to wonder if you're talented and have that kind of support behind you why don't you race real Modifieds? I'll say this, a lot of 602 teams claim to be low budget and bitch and moan about having to race against well funded teams but if you are making this trip don't try to tell me you are a low budget team like mine. If you truly were struggling you wouldn"t consider making the trip. But if you are Good Luck, I hope it works out and I hope I have the opportunity to watch you all having fun in the sunshine state!

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

Agreed. Some folks need to spend a couple of seasons down in the South to realize what we have up here.

Time trials ... for every single car. 8 divisions, each with no more than 10 cars. First feature starts after midnight. Oooh, sign me up.

That said, there are pockets all over the country where racing seems to be thriving ... the Midwest seems really strong in particular. But we have a really good thing up here.

Auburndale doesn’t run time trials. 15-20 cars in each division. Back at Disney by 11. 

Modoc 65 cars 5 divisions. Time trialed every damn division. Left before the LM feature back at the hotel 1AM. 

36 minutes ago, DWelty123 said:

Just throwing my 2 cents into the mix. First off, I think this race is a great idea and I would LOVE to run in it! But it would be exactly like others have said, for the fun experience and the extra exposure. NOT for the purse. That being said we are a practical low budget race team. When a bent part will still work as well as a straight one we keep running the bent part. Frankly with no sponsors and running on a shoe-string budget we do not have the funds to tow to Florida and back regardless of the purse. If you're a small team you would be better off saving your money for tires and such for the regular season. If you have the budget to actually go to Florida and do it right, I say go for it! But I'm very envious of you and I have to wonder if you're talented and have that kind of support behind you why don't you race real Modifieds? I'll say this, a lot of 602 teams claim to be low budget and bitch and moan about having to race against well funded teams but if you are making this trip don't try to tell me you are a low budget team like mine. If you truly were struggling you wouldn"t consider making the trip. But if you are Good Luck, I hope it works out and I hope I have the opportunity to watch you all having fun in the sunshine state!

Yes there are at least a couple teams who always say they are low budget yet here they are hauling to Florida. At least 1 team is taking 2 cars and 2 drivers down and yet claim they cant afford to run 358. If they dont dominate (which they don't) they should be embarrassed. Actually when they get beat they just beat up the competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWelty123 said:

Good post. Thank you for sharing. People in all aspects in life love to be the big fish in a small pond so to speak. Shit I see minor hockey teams load up to play in a lower division so they can improve their record rather than test the kids against better competition. Racing is no different. I applaud those sportsman teams that take the leap and jump into the deep end by moving up. Nothing notable about winning 20 or more races a year in sportsman and staying put. But again, to each their own 

There is a big difference in a sportsman budget and 358! There is big difference between sportsman and pure stock. In racing you need to look at it like this far as I’m concerned and again I’m sure many will argue. You pick a class you think you can afford the best, have fun at, and be the most competitive. 

Because a guy has 12 tires in a tire rack and you have 2 don’t be mad! If you could afford it you would have the 12 tires too:) some people are better at attracting sponsors. Those that aren’t can either a) find someone to help them that’s good at it or b) sit back and do the best with what you got. 

Racers are there own fault they have no money to operate thier team. Have a fund raising dinner, do a super bowl pool, or take a marketing course. Money and sponsors isn’t going to fall from the sky like many think. If you don’t work extra hard to get it you won’t. 

At 1200 miles st 6 miles to a gallon your looking at $850 for gas. Find a buddy that has a business and bring him gas receipts . It’s a write off to him.

If your running sportsman and complain your low budget think about the guy running 4 cylinders and pure stocks for $25 to take the green who would love to run sportsman but can’t afford it. 

Money doesn’t always win races. If you think it does your at a disadvantage before you leave the shop.

• Like 1

I don't think dale ever said money wins races. He has proven that. And if you think he is handing you a line about being on a shoestring budget your are severely mistaken. His shoestring has been tied back together many times. 

I’ve seen Dale run on many occasions and he runs very well. Im not going to get into what constitutes a low budget racer. When I raced I had a 3 pump jack 20 years ago and people thought I was high dollar. And my arguement was this, I asked them how much they spent on cigarettes and going out drinking each week? $100. I choose to get something with my money instead of wasting it. 

Its more about spending money wisely if you don’t have a lot of sponsorship. Dale knows how to do that. Why jeopardize going to Florida it’s not going to benefit his weekly program. I’m sure deep down he’s jealous others are going and he’s not. But if he really wanted to I’m sure he could have . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

I’ve seen Dale run on many occasions and he runs very well. Im not going to get into what constitutes a low budget racer. When I raced I had a 3 pump jack 20 years ago and people thought I was high dollar. And my arguement was this, I asked them how much they spent on cigarettes and going out drinking each week? $100. I choose to get something with my money instead of wasting it. 

Its more about spending money wisely if you don’t have a lot of sponsorship. Dale knows how to do that. Why jeopardize going to Florida it’s not going to benefit his weekly program. I’m sure deep down he’s jealous others are going and he’s not. But if he really wanted to I’m sure he could have . 

Did you read Dale’s post? 

I did not see any Comments about DANNY JOHNSON listed among the Sportsman drivers, did everybody miss that??

Fran, 

if you look at my post about 7 back you see my thought! And trust me I’ve known Danny for probably longer than most! I use to spot got him when he ran the Freightliner car.  

I wish the tracks did more to keep the big block drivers out of running sportsman. And Danny’s not just any driver either! He one of the top 5 all time. 

Go karting has rule state that if you’ve won certain amount of money races your not allowed to compete in lower classes. Maybe sportsman can adapt something like that. 

15 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Fran, 

if you look at my post about 7 back you see my thought! And trust me I’ve known Danny for probably longer than most! I use to spot got him when he ran the Freightliner car.  

I wish the tracks did more to keep the big block drivers out of running sportsman. And Danny’s not just any driver either! He one of the top 5 all time. 

Go karting has rule state that if you’ve won certain amount of money races your not allowed to compete in lower classes. Maybe sportsman can adapt something like that. 

The rules already exists for dirt sanctioned races I believe 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:23 PM, montess said:

May I ask a question? What would be a decent purse for this SPORTSMAN race? I mean they are paying $1000 the 1st night $1200 the 2nd night & $2000 to win which isn't bad. That pay has been considered decent in New York. But because the race is in Flordia everyone needs to express on how bad the pay is. Is that the promters fault the race isn't in NY? Shaould every sportman team from NY that attends this race be bashed?

That brings up an interesting point. If you think about it paying 1K for a promoter in Florida is more then a 1K purse in NY. 

• Like 1

Not sure why people think it’s a shocker teams would travel to Florida without a giant purse.

If given the option to go to a big race in New York paying twice as much or the race in FL I’d choose Florida.

its much easier to get friends and family to come to Florida in February then an unappealing place in NY

Drivers are all competitors. It’s a big stage. National spot light. Top nascar drivers competing and watching 

A chance to show the southerners we have better racing in the northeast 

also hang on the beach after the races or stay home and shovel snow?

For a race track selling yourself to drivers is more then just throwing money into a purse

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Johnyc yes I did read it. Not sure what you are hinting at. 

I say that because he (Dale) says he’s envious. No speculation required, the man was pretty clear on what prevented him from going (lack of $$) and that he was envious of those who were able to make the trip 

On 2/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Fran, 

Sorry Missed it.