Sign in to follow this  
Ric

Syracuse 2005-Hearn a relief driver?

Does anyone know the story behind Brett Hearn being a "relief driver" for Ricky Elliott in the rain delayed Syracuse race in 2005?  They just put the #85 on Hearn's car. 

I believe because the race was delayed and later finished in November.  I was there in November and it was t shirt weather.  I think Hearn had a problem early  in that race in October and Elliott was either notcoming back in November  or they worked something so Hearn “filled in for him” and since the driver qualifies he was able to use his car but put Elliot’s number on it. I don’t remember all the specifics but it was something along those lines.

The rescheduled date was the same day as the Delaware State Championships at Ricky Elliott's home track of Delaware International Speedway, so he and car owner Jake Marine did not return for the conclusion of the race opening Hearn to get back into the race. 

Was one of the best races I ever watched at mile. Beautiful warm November day. Infield was empty and could see perfect. Hearn broke in first race then came back with 85 on his car replacing Elliot and broke again I think

14 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

It was a great day. Went for the conclusion at the mile to 5mp & then on to Delaware. 

Wait...

You're saying you got a triple?

6 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Wait...

You're saying you got a triple?

Double. Drove through the night for Delaware Sunday. 

I was going to say - triples don't come very often. I've only done it once myself. Shot the Saturday stuff at Syracuse, flew to Rolling Wheels for the WoO Sprint show, and flew to Weedsport in hopes of catching the last feature - the win and you're in - last starting spot in Sunday's 300. I walked in just as they were dropping the green flag and saw the entire feature. The moon and stars were lined up perfect and it probably won't ever happen again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I was going to say - triples don't come very often. I've only done it once myself. Shot the Saturday stuff at Syracuse, flew to Rolling Wheels for the WoO Sprint show, and flew to Weedsport in hopes of catching the last feature - the win and you're in - last starting spot in Sunday's 300. I walked in just as they were dropping the green flag and saw the entire feature. The moon and stars were lined up perfect and it probably won't ever happen again.

Did the triple once , WoO sprints at Syracuse, Supers/Mods at Oswego  and Enduro race at Fulton.  Rain delay at Oswego made for the trip to Fulton!

The thing I remember of that '05 race getting rained out was Bob Faust and Brett going at it in the driver's meeting (Fuller and Hearn were in the middle of a points battle and both were arguing over who would get points if Brett rejoined the field in someone else's car) when they announced the race would be postponed. Best part was Ricky Elliott standing next to me just laughing at both of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB19 said:

The thing I remember of that '05 race getting rained out was Bob Faust and Brett going at it in the driver's meeting (Fuller and Hearn were in the middle of a points battle and both were arguing over who would get points if Brett rejoined the field in someone else's car) when they announced the race would be postponed. Best part was Ricky Elliott standing next to me just laughing at both of them.

Elliot was laughing, eh?  And where was he in the point standings at the time?

10 hours ago, DaRooster said:

Elliot was laughing, eh?  And where was he in the point standings at the time?

Why would that matter?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shernernum said:

Why would that matter?  

Especially since he wasn't running the tour that year, haha.

The strangest part is the argument to begin with....if you start the race and break or crash out....then your out....points should be credited from wherever you finish...and if you do return you start in your car however many laps down and in whatever position you were in...in Elliot’s case He basically broke at whatever lap the race was stopped on and he should have finished wherever he fell to at the end. If Brett got to jump in his car and continue the race as if he never broke it’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard. 

6 hours ago, rpm72x said:

The strangest part is the argument to begin with....if you start the race and break or crash out....then your out....points should be credited from wherever you finish...and if you do return you start in your car however many laps down and in whatever position you were in...in Elliot’s case He basically broke at whatever lap the race was stopped on and he should have finished wherever he fell to at the end. If Brett got to jump in his car and continue the race as if he never broke it’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard. 

I think you misunderstood what happened. The race went green in October, Brett blew his motor and dropped out. The rain the came and rained it out before the race hit halfway. Ricky Elliott, Kenny Brightbill, Keith Brightbill, Doug Manmiller were all still running on the lead lap when the race got red flagged. Those 4 guys did not return when the race resumed in November. Therefore, Brett got permission from Jake Marine (Ricky Elliott's car owner) to resume the race in place of Ricky Elliott (since he was running at Delaware) as a relief driver.. The car was Brett's, just renumbered 85. Had Brett went on to "win" the race, the win would actually technically be awarded to Ricky Elliott, since he started the race in that car. 

That's not the easiest thing to explain, hopefully I did a decent job because I know it's hard to follow. '05 was definitely a unique SDW! 

I understand what your saying...but there shouldn’t be any other points awarded to Brett had he placed much higher in Elliot’s place....so the argument that he and Faust had seems rediculous to me, if Brett felt that he should have gotten those points.

• Like 1