Sign in to follow this  

Went out to Volusia last night and was amazed what I saw. 91 UMP modifieds vying for 28 starting spots! 4-18 car b mains taking winner only. Most only started 11-13:)) 

the racing was very competitive. 3 wide racing through out the field. Don’t be afraid to grab a show thinking it’s only modifieds. 

My only complaint was the announcer was talking down some of the racers. But I’m more sensitive than most . 

Modifieds tun til I believe next Monday. And the weather been pretty nice.

1 hour ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Went out to Volusia last night and was amazed what I saw. 91 UMP modifieds vying for 28 starting spots! 4-18 car b mains taking winner only. Most only started 11-13:)) 

the racing was very competitive. 3 wide racing through out the field. Don’t be afraid to grab a show thinking it’s only modifieds. 

My only complaint was the announcer was talking down some of the racers. But I’m more sensitive than most . 

Modifieds tun til I believe next Monday. And the weather been pretty nice.

There is video on front page. "probably you tube too"?

The racing is awesome.  very good!!

UMP is not your weekly IMCA no doubt

24 minutes ago, happyracer said:

91 modifieds (UMP) and it was only $1,000.00 to win. Let the complaining begin 😃 !!

1000 is decent money for UMP mods. Open wheel mods don’t typically get paid all that well. For instance, the top of the mountain for those kinds of mods is USMTS, and their touring shows typically pay 3k to win. 

Why does this thread ring a bell?

Maybe it's because I was saying the same thing 15 years ago when I was doing Florida every year? The best "racing" throughout Speed Weeks is the UMP Mods. I like all of the racing, don't get me wrong. But Volusia is an awesome track for the UMP Mods and they get a shitload of them. The best part about Speed Weeks is that there aren't many mediocre cars. They are all top notch and aren't wreckfests. And I'll say it again... The UMP Mods are faster than the Northeast Mods on that track.

I need to get back down there again. It's been 10 years now.

• Like 2

Just curious -- what are the differences between the different Modified sanctions -- IMCA, UMP, USMTS, any other major sanctions? Is it just a different tire? Different claim rule but essentially the same motor rule?

I know the IMCA Sport Mod was designed to be an entry-level Mod car with a simplified suspension and cheaper motors. Has that worked out ... are the cars really more affordable to run and a good entry-level, or is that just hype?

32 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

Just curious -- what are the differences between the different Modified sanctions -- IMCA, UMP, USMTS, any other major sanctions? Is it just a different tire? Different claim rule but essentially the same motor rule?

I know the IMCA Sport Mod was designed to be an entry-level Mod car with a simplified suspension and cheaper motors. Has that worked out ... are the cars really more affordable to run and a good entry-level, or is that just hype?

No, it's not just a different tire...……..UMP and USMTS type cars have slightly different chassis parts, but the big difference is motors. IMCA A mods run the 604 crate engine on alcohol, where the UMP and USMTS cars run extremely powerful engines turning in excess of 9,000 RPMS all the time. Big smoke. These engines are just starting to make their way into some cars here in the NY center steer modified scene.

The American Racer modified tire is slightly wider and quite a bit softer than the 8" G60 IMCA tire. 

2 hours ago, oilman said:

No, it's not just a different tire...……..UMP and USMTS type cars have slightly different chassis parts, but the big difference is motors. IMCA A mods run the 604 crate engine on alcohol, where the UMP and USMTS cars run extremely powerful engines turning in excess of 9,000 RPMS all the time. Big smoke. These engines are just starting to make their way into some cars here in the NY center steer modified scene.

The American Racer modified tire is slightly wider and quite a bit softer than the 8" G60 IMCA tire. 

I agree with you. I saw the USMTS at South Texas Speedway and they are a totally different animal then IMCA. 

5 hours ago, oilman said:

Unless something has changed recently, UMP ran Hoosiers.

And they still do have a claimer, but nobody will. Everyone is running the same engines you'd find in a Late Model.

8 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Unless something has changed recently, UMP ran Hoosiers.

And they still do have a claimer, but nobody will. Everyone is running the same engines you'd find in a Late Model.

Sorry if it’s an elementary question, but what is a “claimed”? I’ve seen it referenced several times over the years and have never known what it means. 

There are rules to claiming, but essentially it works like this...

You get pissed off because you can't beat the guy 3 pit stalls down from you. Before the feature starts, you secretly go to pit officials and hand them an envelope with $500 in cash (or whatever the claiming fee might be) and tell them you are claiming that dudes motor. You race. At the end of the feature, officials give that envelope to the guy whose motor you claimed and give him a choice. He can either take your money and give you his motor, or forfeit all points for the season and probably not race at that track again for the rest of the season.

The idea behind it was supposed to make it so that guys wouldn't spend $40,000 on engines and keep the class affordable. But that's not how it worked out. Nobody claims motors on a gentlemen's agreement and everyone spends as much as they want. A bunch of years ago I was cruising the pits at Volusia and asking questions. Nobody really wanted to talk to me though because I was a Yankee and they didn't trust me. I finally got the trust of a guy who opened up. I asked him how they could build engines for $500 that could turn 9,000 RPMs every night and he told me you can't. He said most guys had $10,000 of machine work in their motors. So I asked how they could risk putting so much into the motor with a $500 claimer and he said because nobody claims motors. So then I asked what happens if someone with a grudge claimed one anyway? He said the next time that guy was on the track, his car would get destroyed and need a broom and dust pan.

15 hours ago, BillSmith said:

IMCA runs the hard G60 tire and has a lot more rules as far as using OEM front suspension components, no schrader valve shocks, etc etc.  IMCA doesn't mandate the 604 crate, but since it has been allowed and the rules include allowing a small spoiler when running it, it has become the engine of choice.  Plus the 604 has aluminum heads which aren't allowed on built engines.

Other series... UMP, "outlaw e-mods", etc are essentially steel block late model engines.  Pretty much the only rules are steel block, wet sump oiling system.  UMP runs their own spec tire which is softer than the IMCA tire but still not on the level of "open" e-mod tires.  You'll find higher dollar shock packages and many more fabricated (non-oem) front end parts too.

• Thanks 1

I still prefer the Imca hockey puck tire. On any given night Johnny cheap motor can beat mr I got the best of the best. Always nice to see that happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robracer said:

Last I knew USMTS was being dominated by the 604 Crate. That was last summer. 

They are. 604s get a nice weight break and a bunch more spoiler. 

1 hour ago, Josh Bayko said:

They are. 604s get a nice weight break and a bunch more spoiler. 

does the spoiler/weight break really make enough of a difference that they can whoop high dollar custom motors? Why would you run anything else? Lordy,  there are times when I think some car owners  have more money than brains.:)

I LOVE the IMCA hockey pucks -- great equalizers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

does the spoiler/weight break really make enough of a difference that they can whoop high dollar custom motors? Why would you run anything else? Lordy,  there are times when I think some car owners  have more money than brains.:)

I LOVE the IMCA hockey pucks -- great equalizers.

It depends largely on the track which motor has the advantage. There are a few different motor/spoiler/weight combos available, and they all have their pros and cons. The best teams on tour have all the options in the shop and pick the car most suited to where they’re going. 

In the past I have been extremely critical of the IMCA cars in the NY area because of those hockey pucks. Nothing but crasharama  anywhere I saw them.

But since Dundee put down the new clay? Those cars are actually pretty good, and are probably leading the other fields with green to checker finishes.

• Like 3