This may be old news but I saw that Rocky and Jake are going back to sportsman this year. I get it as far as economics go but I thought Rocky was starting to get around pretty well with the modified... Too bad they won’t have another season to see how he does.

2 minutes ago, JPPatterson said:

This may be old news but I saw that Rocky and Jake are going back to sportsman this year. I get it as far as economics go but I thought Rocky was starting to get around pretty well with the modified... Too bad they won’t have another season to see how he does.

The way some sportsman shows are paying you are likely further ahead financially that’s for sure 

52 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

The way some sportsman shows are paying you are likely further ahead financially that’s for sure 

Can’t argue with that and ultimately it’s not my money to spend. I’m just glad to see that Jake is still fielding a car.

Glad to here jake staying in racing,he's pretty smart knows the racing game well,staying where it's fun and somewhat affordable,looking forward to seeing them again

Heard he isnt getting rid off all the big blocks. He will still have one for the big races this year and someone other than Rocky will be in the car. The someone, his last full time driver, before Rocky.  Either way, sportsman or modified, Jake knows what he is doing. Good luck on a very successful season!!!!

I wish it was Alan Johnson. I don't think anyone had more success with Jake other than Aj. JMO, wishful thinking!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't look at as a big fish in a small pond.  I look at it as do I continue to lose my ass or go back to where I may have been making money or breaking even or atleast not loosing so much. Smart decision I think. And if you want to go with the big fish In a small pond theory, aren't there a few bb drivers that win a lot that should be moving on to something else? 360s/410s sprint cars, late models etc?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dan dan said:

I don't look at as a big fish in a small pond.  I look at it as do I continue to lose my ass or go back to where I may have been making money or breaking even or atleast not loosing so much. Smart decision I think. And if you want to go with the big fish In a small pond theory, aren't there a few bb drivers that win a lot that should be moving on to something else? 360s/410s sprint cars, late models etc?

It's crazy to imply guys in BB modified are cherry picking and should move to 410 sprint cars. No comparison from that to modified and sportsman. Something just doesnt feel right to me when a team has a modified budget but races sportsman. I know its America but I dont like it. And this always reminds me of the 90's when Glen used to say he didnt have many good paying sportsman races cause if he did guys wouldnt move up. I always thought Glen was cheap but maybe he was way smarter than I gave him credit for.

It you are comparing, compare it to the cherry picker Kryle Busch running the trucks & XFinity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macho said:

It's crazy to imply guys in BB modified are cherry picking and should move to 410 sprint cars. No comparison from that to modified and sportsman. Something just doesnt feel right to me when a team has a modified budget but races sportsman. I know its America but I dont like it. And this always reminds me of the 90's when Glen used to say he didnt have many good paying sportsman races cause if he did guys wouldnt move up. I always thought Glen was cheap but maybe he was way smarter than I gave him credit for.

What about modified teams with WoO budgets, racing for $1200-2000 each night? A 410 sprint car is no more expensive to build, and probably less to maintain than a top notch big block.

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

What about modified teams with WoO budgets, racing for $1200-2000 each night? A 410 sprint car is no more expensive to build, and probably less to maintain than a top notch big block.

That's so stupid. Because you dont like him Matt Sheppard should start traveling the country in a 410 sprint car????? Hes in the highest class of modifieds. Not to mention modifieds are NOT for beginners while sportsman are for  open wheel 'beginners'. And by your ridiculous logic Donny Schatz should go race the truck series or Infinity series???? Hellllloooooo?????? Or Bloomquist should start racing sprint cars????? Should Kyle Busch go race Indy full time????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Add in the diesel needed to travel every weekend to places 410s actually race and any savings on the car itself would be a wash. 

Rocky is hardly the first driver to move up to big block, and then back down to sportsman.

Also, how is it everyone on here seems to know what Jake's budget is??

Drivers race what they feel they can afford or not.   Or just plain race what they want to.   Why is up to everyone else to decide?

Personally, I do not care if Matt Sheppard or Kyle Busch races 4cyl.

Never been a driver just a fan.  But I believe fans get more riled up about drivers dropping down than the competitors.  If you are driver , why wouldn't you welcome a chance to beat the best?  Provided equipment is the same/ legal

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, leroy said:

Also, how is it everyone on here seems to know what Jake's budget is??

Have you seen the truck and trailer they use? It's a nicer and newer setup than what most modified teams have.

What about all the new cars or numerous engines? 

Jake can spend his hard earned money wherever he likes, but he can't honestly expect people to think it doesn't seem strange for a team like that to drop down to Sportsman.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, macho said:

That's so stupid. Because you dont like him Matt Sheppard should start traveling the country in a 410 sprint car????? Hes in the highest class of modifieds. Not to mention modifieds are NOT for beginners while sportsman are for  open wheel 'beginners'. And by your ridiculous logic Donny Schatz should go race the truck series or Infinity series???? Hellllloooooo?????? Or Bloomquist should start racing sprint cars????? Should Kyle Busch go race Indy full time????????

Yeah, I didn't get those comments either...……...big block racing is a top of the line deal for professional racers...…….they are at the top, the idea is to stay there for 30 years

3 hours ago, Pinesol said:

It you are comparing, compare it to the cherry picker Kryle Busch running the trucks & XFinity.

You don’t see guys playing on the PGA tour and web.com tour at the same time. Why they let cup contenders race on Friday or Saturday is beyond me. But then again there are probably 20 things that are more F’d up in that sport right now. It’s totally unwatchable 

48 minutes ago, DIRTCar97 said:

Have you seen the truck and trailer they use? It's a nicer and newer setup than what most modified teams have.

What about all the new cars or numerous engines? 

Jake can spend his hard earned money wherever he likes, but he can't honestly expect people to think it doesn't seem strange for a team like that to drop down to Sportsman.

Brianna Ladoceur too. It’s crazy what some will spend in sportsman. But alas, it’s not my money or place to tell others what to do 

2 hours ago, macho said:

It’s not a totally out of left field comment. Guys spending $250,000 a year to race with only the slimmest of chances of breaking even is pretty damn crazy. This is a regional thing unlike the other examples which are, at minimum, touring series. Hard to attract national sponsors to float the cost when your market is limited to the northeast. 

But on the other hand thank goodness there are guys out there still willing to do it. Willing to burn through money to benefit fans. I love dirt track racing. Wouldn’t drive 5 minutes to watch F1, or nascar (at least not anymore) but I’ve driven 6 hours one way for a race in which the feature lasted less than 45 minutes only to turn around and drive home the same night. Thank goodness for those who risk their lives and their finances to do it for our entertainment 

My comment was not directed towards Matt Sheppard. I didn’t single him out. Though I feel he is talented enough to go elsewhere, but doesn’t want the risk involved. There are teams racing modifieds that have the budgets to go race in a national touring series and instead race most of the time for less than 2 grand to win. Yet people on here will say Jake shouldn’t be racing sportsman. Northeast big block modifieds are nowhere near the top of the food chain in short track racing. The purses do not nearly compensate for the money spent by those teams, even if they won every night. Tim mccreadie is a perfect example of what modified racing has to offer. Not enough to live off of in his opinion. He certainly would win more here, but chooses to race late models where there is far more money. I’d bet his latemodel team is not spending what Hbr spends to race for a 10th of the possible winnings. Bloomer and Schatz don’t usually unload for less than 7 to 10 thousand to win, our huge teams with those budgets can’t wait to cash the 1200.00 winners check from Fulton come April. 

• Like 1