Just curious but when did it happen or Lebanon valley is and considered upstate New York? I always thought that was downstate. 

3 minutes ago, dan dan said:

Just curious but when did it happen or Lebanon valley is and considered upstate New York? I always thought that was downstate. 

If you live in New York City everything is upstate. Albany is upstate. But when I think of upstate I think of Massena, Malone, Plattsburgh, Watertown, Alexandria Bay, etc. I guess it depends on which lens you are looking through 

I can see it that way I guess. I was just curious cause the article on Hearn on front page said lv was upstate. Just seemed odd to see that worded upstate. 

If you ask someone from NYC or Long Island, anything above the Catskills is upstate... Capital District is probably the more proper term for LV putting it in with Fonda, Albany Saratoga and Glen Ridge for the tracks in that area... 

I have lived in the Albany area my whole life and LV is definitely 'upstate' imo. There are many theories as to what is really considered 'upstate NY' but I go by the rule of everything above Poughkeepsie is upstate and everything below it is downstate/The City.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Rabbitt said:

If you ask someone from NYC or Long Island, anything above the Catskills is upstate... Capital District is probably the more proper term for LV putting it in with Fonda, Albany Saratoga and Glen Ridge for the tracks in that area... 

I like the idea of the breaking it down into the Adirondacks, Capital district, NYC, finger lakes, etc. Such an expansive, beautiful state that it is far too general to just say upstate when you are talking about anything 100+ miles north of NYC

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Rabbitt said:

I was told by a NYC resident that upstate starts where the north bound subway ends.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The state can be divided into 2 sections, NYC, the part of the state that takes and spends all the money, and the rest of NY, the part of the state that works to pay for NYC. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, rpm72x said:

The state can be divided into 2 sections, NYC, the part of the state that takes and spends all the money, and the rest of NY, the part of the state that works to pay for NYC. 

You’re backwards with that common misconception but that’s not on the topic.

Lvs is upstate New York. Considering it Massachusetts makes more sense then downstate NY

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

You’re backwards with that common misconception but that’s not on the topic.

Lvs is upstate New York. Considering it Massachusetts makes more sense then downstate NY

Lol...ok....but let’s stay on topic

I wasn't trying to start a arguement. Was just curious is all. I'm 6 or so hours away so it kinda didn't seem like upstate to me. Just wondering what the General conseus was, nothing more nothing less. 

3 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Yeah, that's not accurate. NYC generates a lot more tax revenue that ends up being spread out across the rest of the state. Because, duh, tons of people in NYC and not so many of us in the rest of the state.

There are actual designations for different parts of the state -- Hudson Valley, Capital District, Mohawk Valley, Southern Tier, North Country, Finger Lakes and Western NY. And to NYC Long Island and Jersey people, pretty much everything is upstate.

• Like 3

The record number of people moving out of upstate NY year after year agree...just because a lot of people live someplace doesn’t mean they are all paying taxes.....but yes there a lot of different area distinctions in ny

• Like 1

In the old “ I Love Lucy” show they would take a upstate vacation to Westchester. There’s Upstate , North Country, Western NY and The Power Lines of Buffalo 

13 hours ago, rpm72x said:

.just because a lot of people live someplace doesn’t mean they are all paying taxes.....

I know lots of us in the rest of NY love to play that "big bad NY City taking advantage of us" card, but overall, Metro NY (including Long Island, Westchester and out of state commuters) has 62% of the population and generate 82% of the tax revenue, so yeah, as a whole, NYC subsidizes cow country. It's not quite as cut and dried as that, NY City gets more medicaid funding than it contributes, but as a whole, NY City does contribute more than it gets back.

https://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2018/feb/01/robert-mujica/do-downstate-ny-residents-contribute-more-income-t/

https://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/oct/14/chris-jacobs/state-spends-more-western-new-york-it-receives-tax/

That said, NY City and the rest of NY are completely different realities and it wouldn't be such a bad thing IMHO if Metro NY was its own state and upstate was independent.

• Like 3

I live in NYC and anything outside of West Chester to me is “upstate” for what that’s worth. 

The term "upstate" has always driven me nuts. If places that are only 20 miles from the southern border of the state are upstate new York.  Then Los Angeles is in upstate California. 

For what its worth, there are 2 correctional facilitites with the names Upstate and Downstate. Upstate is in franklin county and downstate is in souther dutchess county i believe. That should clear things up a bit:lol:

Orange County Fair Speedway is Downstate from Albany-Saratoga Speedway where Brett Hearn will be racing on Friday nights and Lebanon Valley Speedway is Upstate from Orange County Fair Speedway where Brett Hearn will be racing on most Saturday nights. That should help eliminate some of the confusion..LOL 

• Like 2

For the record Lebanon Valley is located at the exact center of my universe. 

2 hours ago, PaGeOrGaBleBHisable said:

For what its worth, there are 2 correctional facilitites with the names Upstate and Downstate. Upstate is in franklin county and downstate is in souther dutchess county i believe. That should clear things up a bit:lol:

Doesnt get much more upstate than Franklin county 

They have more albino deer then regular deer there. That's a scary place, with something in the water for sure. 

On 3/29/2019 at 2:43 PM, Devin Willis said:

Doesnt get much more upstate than Franklin county 

One of my delivery stops up there had me pulling the cab of the truck into Canada and backing into the driveway that was on the us side. 

Really ? a racing forum post with  23 replies on whether the lebanon Valley is up state or down state? ? ?

Bored are you?

No worse than complaining about were cars are postionined at a car show when you walk in. A lot of fans have cabin fever. 

• Like 2