Sign in to follow this  
JohnyC

Friesen inching closer...

I see that Stew finished second in the truck race last night. Got me to thinking how lucky we are in the northeast that he still continues to basically race a nearly full time schedule on the SDS. Kinda like a guy playing for the Rochester Americans also holding down a position in the Thursday night men’s hockey league.

It’s common for guys to race in various divisions but does anyone else in North America race as OFTEN as Stew? I know Tony Stewart did once upon a time, but what about presently? 

Matt Shepard races all over the Northeast except for a couple of CNY tracks that are scared to death that he might finish ahead of their house teams......and he does his winning with various teams

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, racer80 said:

Matt Shepard races all over the Northeast except for a couple of CNY tracks that are scared to death that he might finish ahead of their house teams......and he does his winning with various teams

No one is scared that Matt might beat them, stop being delusional 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JohnyC said:

I see that Stew finished second in the truck race last night. Got me to thinking how lucky we are in the northeast that he still continues to basically race a nearly full time schedule on the SDS. Kinda like a guy playing for the Rochester Americans also holding down a position in the Thursday night men’s hockey league.

It’s common for guys to race in various divisions but does anyone else in North America race as OFTEN as Stew? I know Tony Stewart did once upon a time, but what about presently? 

Keeping with this analogy and judging by the crowd at Texas, it looks like the Thursday night hockey league gets more spectators than the AHL. 

• Like 3

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get win #1 at eldora this year, if not before then.

Last year he was one of the best, if not the fastest truck but he got caught up in an accident.

1 hour ago, JohnyC said:

Maybe Larson, running the entire Cup schedule, some Xfinity, about 25 Sprint Car races and at least as many Midget races, but I get your point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racer80 said:

True but Matt is limited to one division. Friesen is racing a national touring series and also racing the SDS 

1 hour ago, JohnyC said:

Lucky that he still races in the SDS??? Hes finally in a series he should be in. Hes done nothing but ruin BB modified racing in the Northeast and made it impossible for the 'poor' less talented BB racers to ever win , while driving up costs. Hes nothing but a cherry picker. Now if only Sheppard, HBR, Gypsum, Graham and Hearn would all move to either 410 sprints or the truck series these 'little' guys could get a good payday and maybe even a win while racing crate big blocks. And life would be so perfect again. 

Sincerely, 

Rpm72

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I’m sure part of Stewie success is he is been able to pretty much arrive and drive for 2 successful teams. He doesn’t have to concentrate on the daily getting stuff done, ordered, and to the track. Not saying he can’t but he is very talented. It’s just easier when you have the resources to delegate stuff and focus on the big picture-being focused to drive . He will win a race but his clock is ticking on moving up. The advantage he has is Chris is a great owner that can afford to move up if he chooses. 

8 minutes ago, macho said:

Lucky that he still races in the SDS??? Hes finally in a series he should be in. Hes done nothing but ruin BB modified racing in the Northeast and made it impossible for the 'poor' less talented BB racers to ever win , while driving up costs. Hes nothing but a cherry picker. Now if only Sheppard, HBR, Gypsum, Graham and Hearn would all move to either 410 sprints or the truck series these 'little' guys could get a good payday and maybe even a win while racing crate big blocks. And life would be so perfect again. 

Sincerely, 

Rpm72

I do think he’s too big for the northeast modified scene but I’ll enjoy it as long as it lasts. I do think the funding is a problem as the gap is bigger than ever before. But I suppose on the other hand that it makes an upset even more worthy of celebration 

4 minutes ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

I’m sure part of Stewie success is he is been able to pretty much arrive and drive for 2 successful teams. He doesn’t have to concentrate on the daily getting stuff done, ordered, and to the track. Not saying he can’t but he is very talented. It’s just easier when you have the resources to delegate stuff and focus on the big picture-being focused to drive . He will win a race but his clock is ticking on moving up. The advantage he has is Chris is a great owner that can afford to move up if he chooses. 

Money makes things easier, no question. No chance you could follow his schedule and be able to do anything but show up and race. Halmar has been a blessing for Stew. He earned it though so no begrudging him. Just going to enjoy it while it lasts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

I wonder if Friesen was 25 yrs old instead of 35, perhaps he would have a better shot of moving on to xfinity and cup?

Teams seem to be looking to hire youngsters these days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leroy said:

I wonder if Friesen was 25 yrs old instead of 35, perhaps he would have a better shot of moving on to xfinity and cup?

If you have enough money you can buy any ride. And Halmar doesnt seem like a poor team lol. Stew is doing a great job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fiend540 said:

No one is scared that Matt might beat them, stop being delusional 

Then allow him to compete at those two tracks & show everyone that you're not afraid of him!

1 hour ago, racer80 said:

Then allow him to compete at those two tracks & show everyone that you're not afraid of him!

Matt left Brewerton on his own terms long before he was not welcomed at non SDS races.

Fulton doesn't run BB's anymore.

I think you have beat this horse dead long ago. At the very least, start a new or continue the old Sheppard topics. This one is about Stew, and by last years series results, Stew would be the one to fear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macho said:

If you have enough money you can buy any ride. And Halmar doesnt seem like a poor team lol. Stew is doing a great job.

Who are the 35 year old guys breaking into the Cup series these days? Maybe I am missing someone, but I seriously can't find any Cup driver like that.

3 hours ago, leroy said:

Ryan Preece did it and he is 28. I'm sure he had money or a sponsor with him.

1 hour ago, leakin_fluids said:

Matt left Brewerton on his own terms long before he was not welcomed at non SDS races.

Fulton doesn't run BB's anymore.

I think you have beat this horse dead long ago. At the very least, start a new or continue the old Sheppard topics. This one is about Stew, and by last years series results, Stew would be the one to fear.

Fulton runs BB in the 200 & Shepard is barred....He left Brewerton because of favoritism

3 hours ago, racer80 said:

He's not welcome at the 200 because of the bullshit he did to Larry, it has nothing to do with being scared of a guy they race against dozens of time a year. To think otherwise is just dumb fanboy crap

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, fiend540 said:

He's not welcome at the 200 because of the bullshit he did to Larry, it has nothing to do with being scared of a guy they race against dozens of time a year. To think otherwise is just dumb fanboy crap

I'm not a Shepard fan.....I just hate childish bullshit by promoters

16 minutes ago, racer80 said:

I'm not a Shepard fan.....I just hate childish bullshit by promoters

I hate childish bullshit by drivers. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, macho said:

Sincerely, 

Rpm72

Maybe there would be more than 17 cars at most tracks....and maybe more than 250 spectators as well....your getting the picture.

5 hours ago, JohnyC said:

I do think he’s too big for the northeast modified scene but I’ll enjoy it as long as it lasts. I do think the funding is a problem as the gap is bigger than ever before. But I suppose on the other hand that it makes an upset even more worthy of celebration 

Stew is excellent and fun to watch....thank you to macho for making my point....nobody expects or wants all the talent to go elsewhere....but when the most talented driver in big blocks has a nascar truck team as funding(literally)....I bet that really entices locals to want to run out and buy a modified.

6 hours ago, macho said:

Where I am at.  Friesen with the record he has now in trucks, finishes and points.   

If this were ten years ago?  He would have an offer to move up already. jmo  No doubt Stew can wheel it with the best. Watching him race he has the talent

Money is not all its cracked up to  though....

I do not claim to know every teams bank roll or their  " partners".

But..... do you think Chris Larsen or GMS is in a better position 'racing wise', than Joe Gibbs ,Rick Hendrick,  Stewart, Hass, or even Richard Childress??

There is more to it than just having money

2 hours ago, RJO said:

Ryan Preece did it and he is 28. I'm sure he had money or a sponsor with him.

He’s got the same sponsors that team had before. Preece got a shot in great equipment and capitalized on it

• Like 1