11 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

so Ranger, what you are basically saying, and correct me if I am wrong.....there has been NO improvements to the speedway grounds as it pertains to the paying customer in many decades ?

I will say, like a few people on here you worry way to much about a track you don't attend. If you can't see past what Grandview is and will be until they close the doors I really feel sorry for you. The place holds a lot of great memories for me, hell I met my wife there in 84 so yeah I'll defend the place to the end. Not many race tracks around that are run for close to 60 years by the same family that built the place. Can't say what the official crowd numbers were but I will say I got there before 5 o clock and had to search for a parking place. It was a great night!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ranger22 said:

I will say, like a few people on here you worry way to much about a track you don't attend. If you can't see past what Grandview is and will be until they close the doors I really feel sorry for you. The place holds a lot of great memories for me, hell I met my wife there in 84 so yeah I'll defend the place to the end. Not many race tracks around that are run for close to 60 years by the same family that built the place. Can't say what the official crowd numbers were but I will say I got there before 5 o clock and had to search for a parking place. It was a great night!

Not to be redundant, but you ARE saying that management has put zero $ into the fans creature comforts once they walk through the gate ?

I too have many great memories of Grandview ! I would love to return to Grandview ! I made a promise to myself years ago. I will not put any $ into the pockets of ownership until they put $ back into the speedway to improve my experience at the track. 

When you see tracks like Bridgeport or Orange County Fair Speedway CONSTANTLY trying to improve the “fan experience”, it’s tough to not give them my entertainment dollars.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

Not to be redundant, but you ARE saying that management has put zero $ into the fans creature comforts once they walk through the gate ?

I too have many great memories of Grandview ! I would love to return to Grandview ! I made a promise to myself years ago. I will not put any $ into the pockets of ownership until they put $ back into the speedway to improve my experience at the track. 

When you see tracks like Bridgeport or Orange County Fair Speedway CONSTANTLY trying to improve the “fan experience”, it’s tough to not give them my entertainment dollars.

It was our first time down there. The track is awesome. It isnt flashy but I think I would rather watch racing there than many of the other tracks we've been to. Nothing is more fun than watching a high banked small track 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

Wait, has Grandview not put any money into the grandstand side of the facility in recent memory?  I wasn't sure, I think I need you to repeat yourself at least 2 more times in this thread.  No one is arguing about the condition of the "amenities" at Grandview, it's definitely rough around the edges.  And yet, even though I've grown up and went to my first race at Bridgeport and live within 20 miles of New Egypt (both much nicer facilities).  And although I agree that OC is making tremendous improvements.  If all four of those tracks were equidistant from me and running the exact same show, I would vote for going to the race at Grandview the majority of the time, because it has the best atmosphere and the most consistently entertaining racing.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2019 at 10:19 PM, By The Book said:

Talked to some people today that said the Doctor's LR flat and Stew's RR almost flat may have been "related'. But that is bullring racing.

Friesen and Duane Howard made contact while battling for 2nd.   Friesen dropped back immediately and never recovered and a couple of laps later Howard was in the pits with a flat.  Not sure if there was other contact with The Doctor that might've contributed also.  There's a lot of contact on that track.

As far as the facility itself, I mean, yeah, it is, well...not good.  I've been to a lot of tracks and most aren't palaces but Grandview is probably the dumpiest of them all.  My first race there was 2000 and it was bad then and with the exception of a new exterior shell/wall around the bathrooms, don't think they've done a single thing since.  Except they painted the men's bathroom wall blue although Ray Charles may have done the painting because half of the blue paint was splashed on the urinals themselves. Worst food of any track I can think of too.  It is what it is.   I usually get there once or at most twice a year for a special event even though it's about the same distance or closer than the other tracks within reasonable driving distance from me - OCFS, NES, and Bridgeport.  Racing has always been consistently good as well as the attendance and tailgating scene for those special events I've attended though so that counts for something.   It's a family business so it may not be here forever so just glad there's still another track running modifieds south of NY border.

Edited by B-Train

On 4/7/2019 at 6:17 AM, ranger22 said:

I think Laubach was 3rd, at least he came out to be interviewed afterwards. Racing was good and pretty clean most of the night and far as I know nobody fell through any of the rotten boards that the grandstands are supposed to be full of.

Yup. Scooby was third. I'm a dumbass. Lol. He was quiet about getting to third. I love the racing at Grandview. Wish it was closer. 4 hour ride makes for a long ride home. 

Anyone see that Gular will now call OCFS home on Saturday night? He DNQd on Saturday and wasn't added to the field as the defending track champ. Kinda surprised by that. 6th place on Sunday and now he'll be a regular at OCFS. Makes you wonder....🤔

20 minutes ago, SteveC38 said:

Yup. Scooby was third. I'm a dumbass. Lol. He was quiet about getting to third. I love the racing at Grandview. Wish it was closer. 4 hour ride makes for a long ride home. 

Anyone see that Gular will now call OCFS home on Saturday night? He DNQd on Saturday and wasn't added to the field as the defending track champ. Kinda surprised by that. 6th place on Sunday and now he'll be a regular at OCFS. Makes you wonder....🤔

I don't think not being added Saturday figured into them making the switch. They always said 24 cars to start and never listed provisionals. After winning the STSS race at the end of last year and running good Sunday along with all the money up for grabs. I think that has more to do with it.