I'm watching the Bristol race and the once hard to get ticket in NASCAR is empty.  This is a heads up to all promoters in racing.  

20 minutes ago, dirtdigger said:

I'm watching the Bristol race and the once hard to get ticket in NASCAR is empty.  This is a heads up to all promoters in racing.  

Funny you posted this.  I just tuned in to catch the last 100 Laos with my son.  I was explaining to him how hard of a ticket it was to be able to watch a Bristol race several years ago.  What a difference time makes.  NASCAR really lost its grip with what people wanted.

Yet it provides the best racing of the season every race. From what I’ve read the hotels were really gouging prices 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MHL941 said:

Funny you posted this.  I just tuned in to catch the last 100 Laos with my son.  I was explaining to him how hard of a ticket it was to be able to watch a Bristol race several years ago.  What a difference time makes.  NASCAR really lost its grip with what people wanted.

yepper

1 hour ago, PatsJags14 said:

Yet it provides the best racing of the season every race. From what I’ve read the hotels were really gouging prices 

yeah...… cause price gouging on  nascar weekends  is a new thing😆

The bottom line..... There was absolutely NO NEED to fix what was not broke

playoffs, stages.  new rule changes  for the cars, the drivers ,the pit crews, every other week...…...yada yada🙄

oh well

Dirt season is here!  👍

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Nascar butchered this sport. They had a golden goose and someone managed to screw it up. I haven’t watched a complete race in years. It’s litterally the most boring, uninteresting racing around. The points make zero sense. The format is a joke. I went from being a diehard to couldn’t care less in 15 years. That’s not easy to do 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, leroy said:

yeah...… cause price gouging on  nascar weekends  is a new thing😆

The bottom line..... There was absolutely NO NEED to fix what was not broke

playoffs, stages.  new rule changes  for the cars, the drivers ,the pit crews, every other week...…...yada yada🙄

oh well

Dirt season is here!  👍

The biggest problem was they decided that Bristol needed more side by side racing, so they went to progressive banking and totally f***ed the whole thing up. The best part of Bristol was the fact that they had to fight for the rail. I know they ground it back down but it’s not the same. 

They should run a whole lot of 1 lap races and hand out a lot of trophies. Then they could do American olympic game style coverage and not actually show any events but instead have little puff pieces about the drivers and of all the sacrifices they had to make to get where they are and tell of the hardships they faced.  Like the time their cat got run over on the street, etc... (sarcasm on)

26 minutes ago, zmahoney21 said:

The biggest problem was they decided that Bristol needed more side by side racing, so they went to progressive banking and totally f***ed the whole thing up. The best part of Bristol was the fact that they had to fight for the rail. I know they ground it back down but it’s not the same. 

Has zero to do with this, Nascar turned away their core fans in search of the elite fans with money. They are left with what they have, no core fans and there never was any elite fans.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ferg3298 said:

Has zero to do with this, Nascar turned away their core fans in search of the elite fans with money. They are left with what they have, no core fans and there never was any elite fans.

Without question. NASCAR as a whole is a shit product. All about sponsorship dollars and manufactured excitement. Young drivers who are marketable and/or bring their own money. I haven’t been fully into it since 2001, although I always watched until a few years ago. Now it’s just here and there. I will say though that as far as Bristol itself goes, I stand by what I say. I’ve been to Bristol several times and my parents used to go yearly. They, along with others that we know, gave up those tickets because 1)The racing sucks now and 2) They didn’t have a driver that they were truly passionate about following after Earnhardt’s death. They went for years after but it was never the same. The racing there has become, dare I say, boring...Not the same. As a whole though, you are right. NASCAR has alienated their base in hopes to become more mainstream.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

In the midst of all the complaining about nascar, it was a fantastic race today

Of course I opted not to watch today, assuming it would be more of the same. 

17 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

In the midst of all the complaining about nascar, it was a fantastic race today

Personally thought it sucked, pit or not to pit decides races. That's not racing, sorry to say I think i've wasted my last Sunday afternoon watching that crap

It’s a star driven sport and they haven’t replaced Earnhardt Jr, Gordon, Stewart and that’s just recently. Over time they’ve lost Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett and those that have replaced them as top runners are wimpy spoiled rich kids who have no following. Kyle Busch is a great villain but if there’s no hero, you’re going to have empty seats. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferg3298 said:

This is 100% fact and I'll prove it like this...

While in Daytona about 10 years ago, I ran up and down A1A for nearly 2 solid weeks. NOBODY was scalping tickets. The night life on the strip was dead. Just about every hotel along the beach had vacancy signs. I also noticed that for the last 5 or 6 years, it was getting worse and worse.

I always said I would never go to the Daytona 500 because I don't do well in crowds. I am a medium level claustrophobic... 200,000 people was too many. But I decided to give it a shot when I saw no street corner scalpers. I stopped at the track on Wednesday before the 500 to inquire about getting a decent seat for Sunday only. The lady in the ticket window told me that I couldn't buy just 1 ticket for Sunday only. I had the buy the same seat for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday and she would be glad to sell me a those tickets. I explained to her that I was from NY and was working at the dirt track every day but Sunday and couldn't go any day but Sunday. She said she was sorry, but Sunday only tickets in the section I was looking to sit in were not for sale.

Adam Ross - former owner of this website asked me to give him a ride to the track on Sunday. We were staying in a condo just south of the North Turn and he didn't want to get there any earlier than he had to. This would be a 15 minute drive one way on a normal day. I've been caught in race traffic in the past in front of the big track for close to 2 hours. This day though, 12:15pm and there was ZERO traffic. I was back to the condo in time to watch the National Anthem on TV, then run to the door to watch the F 16's fly directly over the condo.  I was going to Daytona every year before they built the back stretch grandstands. It wasn't long after 2009 that they tore them down because they couldn't sell those seats.

Directly across the street from the dirt track in Charlotte is the big track. Last year while shooting video from the roof, I noticed that I could now see cars turning laps on the track. I could always hear them, just couldn't see them. So I asked one of the locals what was going on over there. They tore down some of the stands there too because they couldn't sell all the seats any more. There used to be waiting lists at these two tracks. You had to wait for someone to die in order to get seats there.

NASCAR doesn't want me any more after all those years of support I gave them. I remember being in 4th grade and was the only stock car racing fan in my class. Everyone else was a Vikings or Jets fan and they all made fun of me for thinking stock car racing was a sport.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ferg3298 said:

Personally thought it sucked, pit or not to pit decides races. That's not racing, sorry to say I think i've wasted my last Sunday afternoon watching that crap

Clint bowyer said something post race along the lines of, if you didn’t like the racing today there’s something wrong with you not the product 

29 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

Clint bowyer said something post race along the lines of, if you didn’t like the racing today there’s something wrong with you not the product 

He probably got a spanking from Nascar for speaking the truth at Texas. 😄

• Like 1

This past Saturday,I went to Port Royal.Mind you the place was not packed but they had good crowd.P/R along with other tracks in PA. give the fans what they want to see ''RACING''!!! The car count for P/R was 30 410 sprint cars,24 super late models and 43, count them,43 305 sprint cars.The price tag for all this was $15.00.Since last year when I was there,there is a new office where the ticket booth is,they tore down the old concession  stand and put in a covered patio with piknic tables.New improvements every year going on there to make it more fan friendly.

• Like 1

Port Royal is one of the best dirt tracks I've ever been to, period. Their lighting is the best I've ever seen at a dirt track. Actually, it might be the best I've ever seen at a race track in general. If I wasn't 5.5 hours away that would be my Saturday night home without a doubt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRAPPER88X said:

This past Saturday,I went to Port Royal.Mind you the place was not packed but they had good crowd.P/R along with other tracks in PA. give the fans what they want to see ''RACING''!!! The car count for P/R was 30 410 sprint cars,24 super late models and 43, count them,43 305 sprint cars.The price tag for all this was $15.00.Since last year when I was there,there is a new office where the ticket booth is,they tore down the old concession  stand and put in a covered patio with piknic tables.New improvements every year going on there to make it more fan friendly.

This should be in the Grandview thread  😛

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PatsJags14 said:

The problem is, there is not much point in watching or attending the majority of the races because the points format ensures that much of the season is meaningless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NASCAR also suffers from serious overexposure. There’s way, way too much NASCAR programming on in a week during the season. 

• Like 1

My take for what it's worth. The stands pictures were pitifull to say the least. The racing I'd say was ok, wasn't on edge of your seat racing but ok. Nothing like the tearing a fender or 2 off and the hood and still have a car that was faster than the pace car. They have got the cars so bad now if u get a Wally World shopping cart ding in it you may as well save the money and go to garage. And they say that on regular basis no matter what track they at. Aero is important. Anymore if do watch it's at the start and then just look now and again. Other than that I listen to it on radio. At least without seeing it them guys make it somewhat more exciting than it is. 

17 hours ago, con7 said:

It’s a star driven sport and they haven’t replaced Earnhardt Jr, Gordon, Stewart and that’s just recently. Over time they’ve lost Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett and those that have replaced them as top runners are wimpy spoiled rich kids who have no following. Kyle Busch is a great villain but if there’s no hero, you’re going to have empty seats. 

It's hard to have stars on tracks that don't let drivers showcase their skills or in cars that are so aero sensitive and delicate that cars can't rub on each other.

There could very well be stars/villains racing now that would be on par with those you mention. It's just that in today's NASCAR, they aren't allowed or able to show the same skills/talent behind the wheel of a big heavy car on a tight short track that had drivers on edge from the drop of the green.

1 hour ago, FightForTheRail said:

The problem is, there is not much point in watching or attending the majority of the races because the points format ensures that much of the season is meaningless.

I’d say the opposite about the points. There was never a reason to watch in the fall

• Like 1