I am sure the sponsors would love for you to sit out 15 races. if I am a racer I am not sitting out. Get a clue. I know you are all talking hypotheticals, but a driver sitting out is not going to happen unless you are actually injured and are not medically cleared. If you win a race it just gives you a chance to experiment.

2 hours ago, dan dan said:

Don't know either if you could sit out for no reason, but with that said their is drivers in all 3 series that don't hit all the races. They pick and choose. Granted I'm sure they are low funded ones. 

You have to receive the injury waiver from nascar if you miss races

1 hour ago, Ratzso said:

Oddly, as the vacant seats appear at each NA$CAR event and the rumors of the sport's decline abound, the stock (International Speedway Corporation) continues to do quite well, trading today at $43.44 per share.  Five years ago today, It traded at $32.45. 

Five years ago, Kodak stock closed at $30.64, today the shares trade at $2.90.

Go figure?  I think it should be clear that this financial stuff is all done using mirrors and ball bearings...

J. Langford Ratzso

The stock market is very misleading. It’s an indication of how shareholders and the top of large corporations are doing. Not the company or the buyer.

ISC and nascar knows things aren’t great right now, like many sports. That’s why they’re planning an overhaul in 2021

44 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

The stock market is very misleading. It’s an indication of how shareholders and the top of large corporations are doing. Not the company or the buyer.

ISC and nascar knows things aren’t great right now, like many sports. That’s why they’re planning an overhaul in 2021

Looking purely at the stock price also does not reflect if there were buybacks or dilutions in the past five years. Lots of companies have been buying back their shares in recent years to reduce the number of outstanding shares.

Pinesol,  I have a clue. As far as sponsors liking you to sit out all them racers, how about furniture row when they was a sponsor? Did he not own the team? Guessing he could say when and if they gonna race. 

Patsjag14, that was my other question, what's the penalty if you just don't show up without a injury? There are teams that are low funded and do hit and miss shows. Do they get a waiver cause they can't afford it?

and yes I do realize this is mostly hypothetical but the way it's going it could happen. 

It's different when he is the sponsor and owns the team. I am sure Skittles would be happy, or Lowe's would have been happy if Jimmie sat out. I could see the lower teams doing it because the only chance they can win is at Daytona or Talladega. I am talking about the big teams like Gibbs, Roush, Hendrick, Penske & Childress, those drivers are not going to sit out. Add Stewart/Hass too. 

2 hours ago, PatsJags14 said:

NASCAR is still making a ton of money on the TV deal and will do so until 2024. It’s the future of the sport and continuing to make money after that deal is done that is causing so many changes. 

1 hour ago, dan dan said:

Pinesol,  I have a clue. As far as sponsors liking you to sit out all them racers, how about furniture row when they was a sponsor? Did he not own the team? Guessing he could say when and if they gonna race. 

Patsjag14, that was my other question, what's the penalty if you just don't show up without a injury? There are teams that are low funded and do hit and miss shows. Do they get a waiver cause they can't afford it?

and yes I do realize this is mostly hypothetical but the way it's going it could happen. 

From my understanding it’s ultimately  nascars choice but they have the waiver set up for injury. However even with the injury they have to approve the reasoning. I believe theoretically you could request the waiver with the reasoning that you couldn’t afford to go to a certain amount of races and nascar could approve or deny. 

I don’t think anyone other then Stewart used it for reasoning outside of physical injury. I believe Larson was also granted the waiver when he fainted before a race and couldn’t start. 

7 hours ago, Ratzso said:

Oddly, as the vacant seats appear at each NA$CAR event and the rumors of the sport's decline abound, the stock (International Speedway Corporation) continues to do quite well, trading today at $43.44 per share.  Five years ago today, It traded at $32.45. 

Five years ago, Kodak stock closed at $30.64, today the shares trade at $2.90.

Go figure?  I think it should be clear that this financial stuff is all done using mirrors and ball bearings...

J. Langford Ratzso

It’s all ball bearings nowadays.

https://youtu.be/Hjsfs49SRbc

• Like 1

Ok so I have a serious question that I really don’t know the answer to. Are there really less people following NASCAR today or are there just less people attending the races? I mean I haven’t been to a race in years but I follow it very closely. I’ll record every race and just breeze through it if I feel it’s an interesting race. Fast forward through the most of it but I am always checking out the NASCAR news on their website.

I've changed over the last 25 years.  In my single days I could load up a truck with buddies and beer, drive 5 hours to Michigan speedway and party till I puked.

Now I have a family, budget,.place on the lake and I'd rather drive to my local speedway and be home that evening.   I also spend $20 or less for admission.   

I can't dedicate hours on the couch on a Sunday to watch a race anymore either.  I do follow nascar still but my love is local dirt racing.  Nascar I think doesnt have much of a new fan base and the old fans like me when it comes to attending a race just can't be bothered anymore.  The cost of a nascar race weekend isn't too far off from an all inclusive Caribbean vacation.  

37 minutes ago, smokefan said:

Ok so I have a serious question that I really don’t know the answer to. Are there really less people following NASCAR today or are there just less people attending the races? I mean I haven’t been to a race in years but I follow it very closely. I’ll record every race and just breeze through it if I feel it’s an interesting race. Fast forward through the most of it but I am always checking out the NASCAR news on their website.

Going by current tv ratings I would say less people watching these days. Going by the amount of people complaining it seems like they haven’t lost any fans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, montess said:

Going by current tv ratings I would say less people watching these days. Going by the amount of people complaining it seems like they haven’t lost any fans. 

That’s exactly my point. If people are bitching about it they must still be following it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokefan said:

By virtually every metric, things are way down. Attendance, tv ratings, merchandise, are all off by huge numbers. 

38 minutes ago, smokefan said:

That’s exactly my point. If people are bitching about it they must still be following it.

it has been winter.   Any racing on tv is better than no racing. 

I damn sure aint recording Nascar though.   LMFAO.....   that would be similar to recording WWE

On 4/8/2019 at 9:08 PM, leroy said:

2 hours ago, smokefan said:

I only watch it because of draft kings.   If I can gamble on it I will watch anything 

• Like 1

Was at OCFS Sunday. Had I not gone to the can at the exact right time and the attendant told me Kyle was winning with two laps to go I would have completely forgotten it was even on.

Personally I see the fall from the top of the pedestal as a great opportunity for other forms of motorsports to rise up, which it seems to me they are. Indycar, IMSA and not the least your local dirt track. Leave NASCAR to its convoluted self. If it ever makes it back to the previous form that I dearly loved and grew up on, then I'll be back. Until then... Dirt don't hurt.

2 hours ago, leroy said:

fox news

Yeah, I know, lol.  Came up on my Google news feed. Thought it was interesting. I lost interest in Nascar about 5 yrs ago & it had nothing to do w hotel prices, although I suspect they all jack up their prices for any type of special event. The product sucks. 

The fact still remains... until NASCAR does something about their own price gouging, they are going to commit financial suicide with their current business model. How convenient that they'll talk about the hotels jacking up prices but not themselves doing it.

Several years back, NASCAR pulled a power play with ESPN, who was crucial in helping them achieve their highest level of popularity. ESPN wasn't even allowed on premises of NASCAR events and had to do broadcasts from rooftops from across the road to present NASCAR news that the world was hungry for. That was the icing on the cake for me. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, that's like chomping off the arm at the elbow.

Has anyone seen what the TV contracts are these days? It's not going to be long before sponsors are going to stop sponsoring because they see the half empty stands and don't think their audience is big enough any more. I know this... if I was in charge of the multi year contract with the rights to air NASCAR broadcasts, you can bet we'd be talking about renegotiation real soon because they aren't delivering what they promised in attendance or home viewership.

Yeah, it was way more empty than in the past.  Why??  Because the place is drastically overbuilt.  We all love racing, that's why we're here....but dudes, any form of racing is still nothing more than a niche sport in this country.  NASCAR enjoyed a 10 year or so run where somehow, i have no idea how, NASCAR became a cool thing to do.  Now it's fallen back to the niche sport that it really is.  I truly think the attendance that we're seeing right now is more in line with the reality of how popular NASCAR (and racing in general)  really is.  

But the next thing that absolutely has to happen is costs need to get in line with the value that can be delivered to sponsors in this era.  By many accounts Hendrick employs over 600 people to run a race team with 4 cars, an engine shop and a chassis shop.  That's F'ing insane.  That operation needs to be able to run with less than half of that.  That's your cost savings right there, and I'm sorry to the people who will lose jobs but thats just reality.          

• Like 3

1 hour ago, luke81 said:

Yeah, it was way more empty than in the past.  Why??  Because the place is drastically overbuilt.  We all love racing, that's why we're here....but dudes, any form of racing is still nothing more than a niche sport in this country.  NASCAR enjoyed a 10 year or so run where somehow, i have no idea how, NASCAR became a cool thing to do.  Now it's fallen back to the niche sport that it really is.  I truly think the attendance that we're seeing right now is more in line with the reality of how popular NASCAR (and racing in general)  really is.  

But the next thing that absolutely has to happen is costs need to get in line with the value that can be delivered to sponsors in this era.  By many accounts Hendrick employs over 600 people to run a race team with 4 cars, an engine shop and a chassis shop.  That's F'ing insane.  That operation needs to be able to run with less than half of that.  That's your cost savings right there, and I'm sorry to the people who will lose jobs but thats just reality.          

I would disagree with that just because 15-20 years ago, they WERE selling all of those seats.

Their product is not good, a lot of the fans have lost interest.

Dirt track racing is on an upswing because the product is good. It's hard not to watch highlight reels from USAC, WOO, the All-Stars and not think, in general, that was a pretty decent race. (Dirt is doing well at the tour level ... weekly racing is hit and miss, some tracks are doing great, some are still really struggling.)

1 hour ago, luke81 said:

By many accounts Hendrick employs over 600 people to run a race team with 4 cars, an engine shop and a chassis shop.  That's F'ing insane.  That operation needs to be able to run with less than half of that.       

In 'Days of Thunder' a guy and 3 buddies built a highly competitive Chevy Lumina in his barn. 

He kept the engine low to the ground and gave it an extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath. 

Maybe Hendrick needs to watch the movie and take notes.

5 hours ago, BillSmith said:

I would disagree with that just because 15-20 years ago, they WERE selling all of those seats.

Their product is not good, a lot of the fans have lost interest.

Dirt track racing is on an upswing because the product is good. It's hard not to watch highlight reels from USAC, WOO, the All-Stars and not think, in general, that was a pretty decent race. (Dirt is doing well at the tour level ... weekly racing is hit and miss, some tracks are doing great, some are still really struggling.)

I don't always agree that the product is as bad as peanut gallery says it is.  I think some of that comes from it being the "popular thing" to say it ain't good.  And besides if people aren't watching how would they know?  Bristol was actually a really good race.  I'm not fully convinced the on-track product itself is the main reason people have lost interest.  But I think a lot of the live attendance issue comes down to Nascar just isn't a very fun event attend live.  It's just not, to me.  I'd far rather sit still home and get all of the info on the live broadcast and actually be able to see what's going on.  

• Like 1