15 minutes ago, RJO said:

That's correct I wasn't there just know that most dirt tracks (there are a few exceptions) have a problem with dust when you start racing early afternoon and Outlaw also has a habit of running long when they have these big shows.

The photo I saw posted was far greater than dust. I think everyone expects some dust but when an entire class refuses to race.....I'd say that is more than some day race "dust". So I think those who supported the show have a legitimate issue with the conditions they experienced.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

The photo I saw posted was far greater than dust. I think everyone expects some dust but when an entire class refuses to race.....I'd say that is more than some day race "dust". So I think those who supported the show have a legitimate issue with the conditions they experienced.

And if they would have reworked the whole track it would have lasted yet longer and then people would have complained about that. Some days you just can't win.

35 minutes ago, RJO said:

And if they would have reworked the whole track it would have lasted yet longer and then people would have complained about that. Some days you just can't win.

Sure you can.  Do it right the first time, and everyone wins.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The comments from those that didn't attend the race at Outlaw this past Saturday are greatly valued and appreciated.  Your insight and hindsight (no pun intended) has given me a new perspective and shed new light (again, no pun intended) on the situation.  For myself and those of us that did attend we share a strong common bond with those of you who did not attend - neither of us saw the race. 

The drive by Alan Johnson from last to second place was truly epic, so I'm told.  Until the caution flag, I didn't know if he was even in the race as in addition to not be able to see the track, the public address system had crapped the bed earlier in the day and if not for the roar of the racecars, I wouldn't have known that I was at a racing event. 

I read the race summary article on the Outlaw Website and it sounds like it was a fantastic day of racing at the Dutch Hoag Open.

Respectfully,

J. Langford Ratzso

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I must be all f@#$ed up.

I was there. I stood on the roof from roughly 12:00pm until the final victory lane interview was done. The dust was in my face the entire day. I am STILL picking concrete eye boogers out of my eyes from all the dust I ingested, but I'm not complaining. I finally got to see my first stock car race of the season - after a 5 month layoff, and I would GLADLY go through the same conditions again than to go another month being cooped up in the house with cabin fever. Yep... I was happy to be there. Even after I spent the whole day yesterday in front of the wood stove thawing out.  But I started my 2019 racing season....

Yes it was brutal dusty. No, the track conditions weren't ideal. But anyone who goes to Dundee more than an event or two per season also knows that the track conditions on regular Friday nights are nowhere near what we had last weekend. And you also know they won't be like that again this coming weekend.

This is the thing that kills me. When the racing conditions are perfect, hardly anyone speaks a word. But holy shit, when the conditions are bad? They just can't wait to pile on and beat the place up.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, luke81 said:

Sure you can.  Do it right the first time, and everyone wins.  

This right here^^

It was is just hard to figure why the track was not better prepared before people got there.  Because of rain friday night?  I ask because I really do not know.  I arrived at the track 1pm or so sat.  

I am one of people who  actually HAS  praised Outlaw track conditions on here when things are good.

One thing I left out.   A positive note regarding Saturday.  The place was packed.  One of the larger crowds I have seen at the speedway

• Like 2

Ma and I got to the track at 11:30. The first thing I saw when walking in front of the covered grandstands to head up to the roof was a deep puddle of water at the bottom of turn 1 against the infield. Tyler was just getting to that location with a backhoe. I stopped to watch a minute while he used the front bucket to pull that water back into the infield. That puddle was almost knee deep, a good 15 to 20 feet in length and definitely had to go. He had to work at it a while, but he made it disappear. I would have to assume that its origin was the result of rain because I've never seen it like that from routine watering.

I am going to pay more attention to this, but I think I noticed something Saturday. Outlaw didn't seem to take rubber with all those laps like I expected it to. I got wondering if American Racers don't do that as well as Hoosiers.

I usually don't complain about race tracks so I will keep this short, I expected dust , with all the cars there and the sunny day  you would be foolish to think otherwise. I think I read somewhere there was 198 cars wow great turn out.

but I don't like it being dangerous and it was at times. Starting the 602 race at 5:30 when the sun and dust was the worse was absolutely stupid and who ever made the decision to start that race should not be allowed to make them decisions, owning a car in the field I don't like the fact the track was willing to gamble with my money and risk the drivers being hurt.

Bob you are right I don't think it took rubber until it got dark out. it was a lot better once the Sun went down. Mod main was fantastic I was able to watch it from the pits with no issues seeing it. 62 laps without a caution wow.

I enjoy watching Alan Johnson at any track but to watch him at Outlaw is something special. he gets such drive off the corners.

how about the Street Stocks 50 laps without a caution, again wow.

Joe Cole

• Like 3

It’s odd, at most tracks that both tires have been used the American Racers cause the track to rubber much quicker than Hoosiers. The day races at Utica with racers would rubber by the consi, the outlaw 200 took rubber quicker with racers(weather dependent) and Fonda certainly rubbers quicker with A/R tires. 

The track  on saturday never took rubber. Nor did it ever slick over to the point of no dust.

Which many tracks do

Nobody has said anything about this on DTD, so I will.

Eldon Payne...

In the front half of the modified race, Eldon was absolutely the fastest car on the track. And I'll bet I'm not the only one who stood there in complete shock when he not only took second place, but then proceeded to pull within a few car lengths of leader Steve Paine. Steve was able to clear lapped traffic much easier than Eldon and was able to put some distance back between them again.

Eldon continued to struggle with lapped traffic the remainder of the event and ended up finishing 5th - still a respectable finish for anyone.

Call me impressed.

• Like 1

If anyone attended this race thinking it wasn't going to be a dust storm I'm guessing your very new to dirt racing in NY. Eight divisions on cool to mild breezy afternoon Spring day at a track known for being very dry for these type shows and you have receipe for heavy blinding dust. Fans need to stop blaming the track and blame themselves for making a poor choice. Personally I passed this track on my to Port Royal Saturday just for the reasons I mentioned. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mjbf1 said:

If anyone attended this race thinking it wasn't going to be a dust storm I'm guessing your very new to dirt racing in NY. Eight divisions on cool to mild breezy afternoon Spring day at a track known for being very dry for these type shows and you have receipe for heavy blinding dust. Fans need to stop blaming the track and blame themselves for making a poor choice. Personally I passed this track on my to Port Royal Saturday just for the reasons I mentioned. 

Now we're blaming fans for supporting an event......🤦

• Like 1

What's next....... Blaming drivers and teams for supporting the show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Nobody has said anything about this on DTD, so I will.

Eldon Payne...

In the front half of the modified race, Eldon was absolutely the fastest car on the track. And I'll bet I'm not the only one who stood there in complete shock when he not only took second place, but then proceeded to pull within a few car lengths of leader Steve Paine. Steve was able to clear lapped traffic much easier than Eldon and was able to put some distance back between them again.

Eldon continued to struggle with lapped traffic the remainder of the event and ended up finishing 5th - still a respectable finish for anyone.

Call me impressed.

i would say he ran just a bit to hard a bit to quick for a 70 lap event. a 30 lap or even 50 sure he would have been a shot but there were a few other cars that did the same thing. we see this time and time again. 

I never understood why some tracks feel the need especially on daytime track conditions to run 8 classes!!! Other than the back gate mentality cut it down to 4 and you have pretty much eliminated half the laps and cars on your track!! This isnt to bash Outlaw cause they aren't the only one to do it. If I see that many classes on a daytime surface I know enough to stay home and wait another week for a good track surface where I can actually see the track and the race. . 

• Like 3

If someone from Outlaw Speedway could please contact me,  it would be greatly appreciated.  I have a solution to dust.  Without getting into much detail,  I call this product SYNDI. It will evolutionize your track. I make things happen!

Sincerely,

Glenn D

Owner, Operator,  Promoter at CNYRP

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Scott Friers said:

Now we're blaming fans for supporting an event......🤦

No sir, just saying heavy dust at Outlaw for a day show was a given before the event was ever run. Please don't hit the message boards right after the show whining about dust. If you can't handle a day with a lot of dust there was other options of races to attend that day. 

I wasn't there but did it get slick and shiny in the middle and dry and dusty at the inside edge and outside edge. If you're trying to be conservative with the water knowing there is a lot of water underneath then most of your dust is coming from those cars dragging the left front on the inside where it is to dry or the right rear out where it is to dry. It is very difficult to get it right the first week of the season. Especially for day racing.  Can am got lucky with a wind coming from behind the grandstands that blew the dust away from the fans. We sat down by the 4th turn and never got dusted the whole night. 

4 hours ago, MRKLEEN said:

I never understood why some tracks feel the need especially on daytime track conditions to run 8 classes!!! Other than the back gate mentality cut it down to 4 and you have pretty much eliminated half the laps and cars on your track!! This isnt to bash Outlaw cause they aren't the only one to do it. If I see that many classes on a daytime surface I know enough to stay home and wait another week for a good track surface where I can actually see the track and the race. . 

Agreed, how about on may 7th , a Tuesday, they have 5 classes still for the SDS race 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grizzley111 said:

Agreed, how about on may 7th , a Tuesday, they have 5 classes still for the SDS race 🙄

I think mid week series shows and specials should be two division programs. Three divisions tops.  

That said . fairly certain I will support this show as it is 30 minutes from my  home

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, leroy said:

I think mid week series shows and specials should be two division programs. Three divisions tops.  

That said . fairly certain I will support this show as it is 30 minutes from my  home

I agree on both ends. 2-3 divisions tops, in and out .

• Like 1

There are some special shows that I would love to attend at Outlaw but when they schedule 5-8 classes and I have to drive 2 hours one way they wont get my money!! Its sad because they are hurting themselves and the fans that want to see the shows. I'm sure I'm not the only fan that feels this way. And this isnt the only track that does this so dont think I'm bashing just Outlaw!! These tracks need to smarten up or they are gonna chase people away ...

• Like 3

I’m wondering at Outlaw and Can Am if they didn’t pour the calcium to the tracks because it was so wet leading up to the races to dry them out and it created a lot of dust. Can am surface on front stretch looked like they did.