Sign in to follow this  
thatXXtruck

Racing returning to Brookfield

There is a post on Facebook from someone involved in the Brookfield fair that they are looking at running street stocks and 4 cylinders on Thursday night of the fair. 

• Like 2

I saw this too. If it goes down like I hope it does, I'm going.

• Like 3

I wouldn't care if they just had an exhibition old timers show where guys with coupes and coaches did nothing more than turn a few laps for photo opportunities. I'd go to even that, just so I could see it with cars on the track.

• Like 3

Track last open in I believe it was 1995. Track was leased and ran by Mike Budka, Jr. Brookfield was actually known as the "Track of Champions" long before Fonda.

Correct. Fonda started weekly racing in 1953. I have a Brookfield ad dated July 19th, 1951 touting themselves as the Track of Champions.

I actually got to Brookfield twice.  Once was 1985 when Phil Bennett promoted an enduro (which I scored and painted numbers on the cars, I believe just shy of 60 cars) and they also had an ESS exhibition.  I was in college at Morrisville and his son Dave was in my computer classes so they brought me along to help.  I guess my first ever racing job!

Then back in I believe 94 or so when the ELS Sprints ran an event there.  I stayed until they put a sprint in the trees off turns 1 and 2.  I knew it was going to be a while and I had to be somewhere that night.  

Be cool to see the old covered grandstands filled with some racing folks again.  

Even if you don't go to a race there, checking out the field days with the Demo derby is umm... "an experience".... Some mighty interesting people come out of the woodwork for that..... 

• Like 2

The demo derby crowd isn't for the faint hearted no matter where you go. In a lot of cases, it's like a live episode of Jerry Springer.

• Like 3

I can recall going to Brookfield as a young kid. While I don’t remember too much in terms of actual racing action, I remember someone in a sportsman flipping and almost taking out the flag stand. I also remember it being rough in terms of track conditions and general appearance. I grew up in New Berlin and frequented Afton, FMP and Utica weekly but on occasion we’d take the short trip to Brookfield. I’ve spent many nights at the fair and at the Brookfield Wheel Days and its definitely an experience.

I enjoy a hard hitting demo derby now and then, don't get me wrong. But man... the trailer park community comes out in full support of demo derbies, that's for sure. My brother and I used to go to several derbies per year and we got as much entertainment watching the crowd as we did with the derby itself. We used to play this game called "Crackhead or Wife Beater?":)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

I enjoy a hard hitting demo derby now and then, don't get me wrong. But man... the trailer park community comes out in full support of demo derbies, that's for sure. My brother and I used to go to several derbies per year and we got as much entertainment watching the crowd as we did with the derby itself. We used to play this game called "Crackhead or Wife Beater?":)

For sure. Where I live now in Cobleskill, the big derby at the Schoharie County Fair is the biggest sporting event in the county each year. Really brings em out of the hills. Great people watching for sure. Sort of like the weekly crowd at Glen Ridge on steroids. 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Rabbitt said:

Jerry Springer only wished he could have signed some of the people I saw that day...😨

Down that way it's not unusual to see someone enter a motel with a sheep & 2 bottles of Woolite.....LOL

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BobMiller said:

We like to count the MAGA hats.

Not for nuthin, 

But fan appreciation night at many speedways or "FREE NIGHT"...…. is/was  just as much the same as being described here by some. regarding  the demo derby nights

Me and my best friend(since passed),  used to like sitting on the tailgate in front of Black Rock on free night. Watching the people come in,  was just as much if not more fun than watching the races. 

Fuzzy Red bedroom slippers and all! 🤣

My brother and I were down to Canandaigua and they had a derby or enduro and some dudes rolled in with a couple cars that had obviously been in at least one or two demo derbies previously.  The were folded up like accordions.  

On a personal note, and I have said this before, some of these enduro, trailer, one-on-one spectator races, chained up car races are horribly dangerous.  How the promoters pull this crap off is nuts!

Also - there is a Facebook page about Brookfield.  Looks like they had some really low slung Street Stocks out there and no shortage of dust.  Might need some SYNDI for the upcoming event.  

Looks like.  Crate Sportsman, Pro Stock / Street Stock, 4 Cylinders. Thursday, July 11 .:clapping:

• Like 2

Need info on race there this Thursday nite.....what tires are allowed?