BobMiller

The next time someone tries to tell you the racing season is too long...

...tell them to get bent.

August 29th, 2018 was the last event I saw at Canandaigua. August has 31 days, which leaves...

August - 2 days
September - 30 days
October - 31 days
November - 30 days
December - 31 days
January - 31 days
February - 28 days
March - 31 days

This is now April 20th. We won't race again until at least the 27th.

April 27 days.

Add it all up and you get 240 days, which leaves 125 days left in the season, right? Wrong.... we can't race every day of the week, so it leaves just Saturdays and a couple of mid week shows.  The Canandaigua schedule is 25 events this year. Today we lose one making it 24.

So when anyone says the racing season is too long (usually wives or girlfriends), tell them bullshit... it's only 24 days long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Bob, the only track that you attend is Candidagua ? I attended Georgetown on March 16. The last race that I will attend will be the Workd Finals in Charlotte on November 9. That’s 8 months for me !

Actually there are races almost every day of the week from May-September. I started March 8th & can go at least until the last week of November. 

2 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

Actually there are races almost every day of the week from May-September. I started March 8th & can go at least until the last week of November. 

And if you start with Volusia, you're looking at 3 months off. 

But I see Bob's point - 24 days off racing. Haha. 

4 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

Bob, the only track that you attend is Candidagua ? I attended Georgetown on March 16. The last race that I will attend will be the Workd Finals in Charlotte on November 9. That’s 8 months for me !

I do Weedsport and Dundee too, but don't take my post so literal. I also do a few hit and miss shows elsewhere for internet and TV broadcasts. We all have (or had) significant others that don't understand the racing thing and use the length of a possible season against us with the bug. I used Canandaigua because it's my favorite track and I want to see racing there again.

Not all of us has had or have that. My wife has been with me at Lincoln or Hagerstown in February & Susquehanna in November. 

3 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

My finances are pretty tight this year with unexpected stuff taxing the bank. It's almost the end of April and I have a grand total of 1 event under my belt in 2019. For a lot of years back in the This Week on DIRT days, I'd have over 50 by now.

2 minutes ago, Mike Coleates said:

Not all of us has had or have that.

You're lucky.

Isn't that the time of year kids nowadays call "cuffing season". Keep someone around for the winter & kick them out in the spring. Sounds like a good plan to me, lmao. Prob why I'm not married anymore. Gotta go racin'. No time for 20 questions to get out the door to the track.

I was married once and got grilled constantly about the amount of racing I took in. And it never made any sense. She didn't mind holding her hand out to reap the rewards, but when I let some of it go to spend more time at home, she said she had gotten used to the freedom of me not being home all the time and wanted the money. When I got back into the rhythm again, she complained I was never home again. WTF? I never did figure out how to do both.

The girlfriend I am with now doesn't care for the races very much, but she understands that it is a part of me and never questions anything. She has a standing invitation to go to any event she wants. She doesn't even have to ask. All she needs to do is be ready when it's time to go. Every now and then she surprises me and tags along, but she'll never get the bug. I wish it were like this when I was married... I probably still would be.

• Like 1

Back in the 80's when we were dating, she liked it. She would go once in a while. She said she liked going. She also had an open invite to join anytime she wanted.

Later on, in the early 2000's, she went to karate 4 days a wk & I didn't complain at all. I let her do her thing, so I could do mine. Fed the kids, helped them do their homework, etc. But I couldn't get out on a Saturday night 20-something nights a yr? 

I'm now free to go as many times & wherever I want, within my racing budget & I like it.

12 hours ago, Mike Coleates said:

Do you know of any races in or near PA on either June 3 or June 5?  

True that. And do you know what else was too long? Every holiday or family get together with my ex-wife. Every one of them turned into an argument. If she wasn't on the kids' asses, she was on mine, or her mothers, or her brothers, or her sister in laws, or her nieces and nephews. It was like she would make shit up so she could argue with someone about something. Every family function would end up with a bunch of yelling and screaming going on and without fail, she was always 1/2 of it. I started driving my own vehicle to these functions after a while because I refused to listen to it. I'd park on the road so nobody blocked me in, and the minute the chaos started, I left.

I've been with my girlfriend just a little over 10 years now and I could count on 1 hand and have fingers left over of all the times we've argued or raised our voices at each other.

Back when I would go to 3 to 5 races a week I took a lady to the races on a warm Saturday night.Her reply about that night was ''that was fun,what are we going to do next week?'' Well guess what,she did not like the idea of doing that every week. This is my 56th year going to the races so why stop now!!!

my complaint in this topic is the season here in Canada (merrittville) starts too early and ends to early. April is too unpredictable to start now. but labour (labor) day end is too soon. i understand the tours and all but really now it only affects 2 drivers here.

overall though i applaud the speice family for what they are doing here at merrittville.

9 hours ago, BobMiller said:

True that. And do you know what else was too long? Every holiday or family get together with my ex-wife. Every one of them turned into an argument. If she wasn't on the kids' asses, she was on mine, or her mothers, or her brothers, or her sister in laws, or her nieces and nephews. It was like she would make shit up so she could argue with someone about something. Every family function would end up with a bunch of yelling and screaming going on and without fail, she was always 1/2 of it. I started driving my own vehicle to these functions after a while because I refused to listen to it. I'd park on the road so nobody blocked me in, and the minute the chaos started, I left.

I've been with my girlfriend just a little over 10 years now and I could count on 1 hand and have fingers left over of all the times we've argued or raised our voices at each other.

Sounds like you don't make the same mistake twice and have a keeper!!!

• Like 1

I agree, he got himself a good one.

The search continues....

• Like 1