Mother Nature swallows.

Saturdays weather calls for only a 20% chance of rain but with cold temps and strong winds will make colder than a well diggers ass in the Klondike!!!

• Haha 1

That page been providing that for a few years now and I'm not sold one way or the other on it to be honest. 

On one hand, i think its great that there is a repository for the rain chances for every track in the northeast.  On the other hand, that graphic was posted on either Tuesday or Wednesday, and weather forecasts change.  I just hate to see a fan make a decision to not attend a track on a Saturday because on Wednesday there was a 90% chance of rain.

The other thing it doesn't list, but absolutely comes into play in early and late season races is the race time temperature. 

Tracks planning to run on Saturday look like they might be safe from rain, but forecasts are for daytime high temps in the 40's and nighttime low temps in the 30's... With 20-30 mph winds... Even Bob Miller will tell you that's COLD, and he's as die hard as they come.  It will certainly impact a fans decision to attend, which will impact the speedway's ability to profit from hosting the event.

• Like 2

You can rest assured that I will have plenty of hand warmers available at the Candyland trailer @ Land of Legends tomorrow nite!

I just found that graphic in passing on facebook. Never knew they were doing it before this year.

14 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

On the other hand, that graphic was posted on either Tuesday or Wednesday, and weather forecasts change.  I just hate to see a fan make a decision to not attend a track on a Saturday because on Wednesday there was a 90% chance of rain.

If the chances of rain dropped from 90% to 60%, it's not going to make a difference to fans that rely on chances of rain as their barometer. We just went through all that last week.

I will agree though that the same graphic posted on Thursday night with current stats instead of earlier in the week with stats that change might help some - if only not to set the panic button off so early.

20 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

Tracks planning to run on Saturday look like they might be safe from rain, but forecasts are for daytime high temps in the 40's and nighttime low temps in the 30's... With 20-30 mph winds... Even Bob Miller will tell you that's COLD, and he's as die hard as they come.

I'll be there anyway, but as I get older I learn that there is a physical change in the way a body repels the cold. I used to think my dad was just getting soft when he said he couldn't take the cold like he used to. But now I am closer to 60 than I am 50 and he was right. The cold REALLY messes with my back. And I got frostbite on my hands at work a few years ago. They are now ultra sensitive to the cold and I can't shoot video with gloves on.

1 minute ago, BobMiller said:

I just found that graphic in passing on facebook. Never knew they were doing it before this year.

If the chances of rain dropped from 90% to 60%, it's not going to make a difference to fans that rely on chances of rain as their barometer. We just went through all that last week.

I will agree though that the same graphic posted on Thursday night with current stats instead of earlier in the week with stats that change might help some - if only not to set the panic button off so early.

I'll be there anyway, but as I get older I learn that there is a physical change in the way a body repels the cold. I used to think my dad was just getting soft when he said he couldn't take the cold like he used to. But now I am closer to 60 than I am 50 and he was right. The cold REALLY messes with my back. And I got frostbite on my hands at work a few years ago. They are now ultra sensitive to the cold and I can't shoot video with gloves on.

Stop at the trailer & I'll give you a pair of hand warmers

That is provided by Stephen Durham, a Plymouth State (NH) aspiring Meteorologist.  Stephen has been doing this for quite a while. His regular track is Lebanon Valley where he is part of a crew. Last year on Fridays he did some announcing at Legion Speedway as well (no longer possible, track was sold, has switched to Saturdays and renamed RumTown). Not sure if he will continue this as he has just taken a job staring shortly after he graduates in May way north in Presque Isle, ME, a long ways from us!

1 hour ago, HighPlainsDrifter said:

Accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.  Brewerton is not racing this week and Airborne Park is. Afton has practice scheduled for tonight.

I was going to say, if they can't get the events right this is not helpful at all. 

This is two years in a row now the SDS at Fulton has been cancelled . Two years in a row my local tracks of Dundee and Canandaigua cancelled or pushed back their season openers.  Utica Rome and how many other races rained out already this month? And...  I am not sure we have seen the last of this weeks cancellations

This is why if I get the chance I try to do at least one weekend in PA each March.   

At one time I thought best  to stay home from some races to save money for others. Preferred shows on my list.    But  sometimes now a days I am thinking you just got to go now  in case the one your saving for gets cancelled

as I type this I just got third or fourth rainedout.com text of  the day.  this time A/S.

If it rains several days in a row during the Spring, the forecast doesn’t mean squat.  Could be sunny and 80 .....with nowhere to park.  This weekend is a washout.  

Fonda should have a great group of cars! Weather permitting.

Merrittville has a program Scheduled for Saturday night despite the cold weather, they have already scheduled dropping the intermission to push the show.  Racing begins 7:00 pm Saturday night. 

1 hour ago, Goggles Paesano said:

If it rains several days in a row during the Spring, the forecast doesn’t mean squat.  Could be sunny and 80 .....with nowhere to park.  This weekend is a washout.  

LoLR actually looks surprisingly good. Parking is soft,but not a swamp.  

• Like 2