Sign in to follow this  
BobMiller

Matt Farnham - Land of Legends Raceway last Saturday...

When the announcers first mentioned Farnham at the beginning of the night, his name didn't mean anything to me because I didn't remember reading it anywhere. Truth be told, Canandaigua gets new drivers several times per season. Sometimes they have no loyalty to any other track and they bounce around from track to track. Other times their home track canceled for whatever reason, and Canandaigua was within reasonable travel distance. I figured for sure that Farnham fit one of the two descriptions and didn't expect much.

What we got though, was amazing. Farnham started 10th on the field. Had he finished there and never passed a car, it would have been considered a decent run. Especially if you consider this being his first ever visit. But Farnham actually raced well, and finished 4th. To put that into perspective, Alan Johnson started on the pole and finished 7th, so Farnham had to get by Alan to finish 4th.

When I got home, I looked him up on facebook to learn a little more about him. His racing plans weren't very explicit, but I wanted to know if he was planning on finishing out the season at Canandaigua. So on my own facebook page, I asked if anyone knew what his schedule was. The reply I got from KB19 was amazing...

He believed that last Saturday's race was Farnham's first ever big block show anywhere, which made the performance amazing. Farnham himself replied back that it was true and that he still wasn't sure what his Saturday night plans were yet. I'll say it here too... I want to see him return and repeat the performance.

• Like 2

He raced in the Ransomville sportsman class for a handful of years before running modified there last year. He picked up I think 2 wins and was impressive. Pretty sure Saturday was his first ever big block race though I assume he may have made a practice this with it?? I believe he was second in the sportsman race at Oswego 2 years ago. Certainly has a bright future.

It was definitely his first ever big block race - Farnham confirmed that in his reply. Like you, I would assume he turned some practice in the car but I didn't ask that. If he didn't, it's even more impressive.

Canandaigua is a momentum track where being on the throttle is the trick. Getting into the corners and lifting as little as possible is what wins races there. You can't flatfoot at Ransomville without knocking down the outside Armco Barrier in between turns 1 and 2. He adapted well.

I haven't been this impressed by a first performance since some guy named Rockefeller from out Fonda way made his presence known a few years back.

And wasnt it last year Gary Lindberg won a triple 20 at Oswego in his first BB attempt? Impressive stuff.

2016 and 2017 Ransomville sportsman track champion. I believe he previously worked with Chad Brachmanns team. 

5 hours ago, macho said:

And wasnt it last year Gary Lindberg won a triple 20 at Oswego in his first BB attempt? Impressive stuff.

That's right! I forgot about that.

Matt and his Dad are great people, Matt purchased that BB car complete from Mat Williamson and purchased a used BB that we had for sale. Before the race at LOL he only had 2 practice laps in his big block ever, he had a ignition box issue at ransomville practice that caused trouble with his big block and he brought the car and engine to gypsum (we thought it was a easy fix) we ended up removing the engine, fixing it and re dynoing it and him and his father cane to the shop that Thursday to pick up the car and engine. He Bought a 358 from us last year and seemed to pick that up very fast and a top 5 in his first ever big block start is very impressive

Rob Hile

• Like 1

late last season at Humberstone, Farnham ran his first ever sprint car race with the Action Sprint Tour (crate engines) and won it easily!  definitely a lot of natural talent there.

• Thanks 1

And Matt won 2 races in his Rookie 358 season at Ransomville. Brady Electric is one sponsor and CJ Construction is his Dad and Mom!