Sign in to follow this  
JPPatterson

Longest modified win streak?

I know that some of you know a great deal more about racing history  than I do so what is the longest win streak anyone can recall? With Matt at 10 is this a record or did someone win more in a row in the past? Cable, Pauch, Barefoot?

JP

I've wondered the same thing myself and I have a pretty good library behind me to go through that could take me back to 1966. The problem is, without starting at the very beginning and going to modern history, I wouldn't know where to start. And there is another problem that dates even as recently as the 1980's... some tracks weren't very good at recording results or sending press releases to trade papers or local newspapers.

I would almost guarantee that Richie Evans either did it or came real close several times.

Ok here’s something I think that needs to go into how special what Matt is doing right now is. I saw him race a few times but Richie is probably one of the best there ever was. Take nothing away from him, Richie had Hutter engines and BR Dewitt behind him when many had a lot less to work with. In today’s age there are 15 cars or more that out brand new and 10 have $40,000 plus big blocks. I think he won at 6 different tracks , on 2 different tires , and 2-3 motor combinations. I think guys will catch on soon were they need to improve to compete because if they don’t Matt will just keep adding to the win column. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I will have to check, but late model and future modified driver Gary Butler, while still in the late models....won just about every feature one year at Flemington and they all might be strung together because the one I remember him not winning was opening night.  It might be like up around 18 in a row.

8 hours ago, HowieTheHat said:

I will have to check, but late model and future modified driver Gary Butler, while still in the late models....won just about every feature one year at Flemington and they all might be strung together because the one I remember him not winning was opening night.  It might be like up around 18 in a row.

BUT... that's just one track. I'm not saying that's an easy task, but Matt is winning at every track he is racing at. That's MUCH harder to do because you're not only making setup changes, but switching cars and sometimes engines.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BobMiller said:

BUT... that's just one track. I'm not saying that's an easy task, but Matt is winning at every track he is racing at. That's MUCH harder to do because you're not only making setup changes, but switching cars and sometimes engines.

I'd bet Matt has won races in at least 2 cars with two different engine combinations.  He said in victory lane on Friday night that his car had a Pro-Power motor in it.  I believe he's run that engine on the Short Track Super Series as well.  I think his big-blocks that he runs on the DIRTcar circuit are still C.C. Performance motors. 

19 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I agree 100%. As far as winning consecutive races at one track, there are a lot of guys who have gone past 10. ... If anyone has done it before, one thing is almost guaranteed ... it's someone we've all heard of.

• Like 1

At Woodhull alone? Or were they bouncing around from track to track?

11 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

I'd bet Matt has won races in at least 2 cars with two different engine combinations.  He said in victory lane on Friday night that his car had a Pro-Power motor in it.  I believe he's run that engine on the Short Track Super Series as well.  I think his big-blocks that he runs on the DIRTcar circuit are still C.C. Performance motors. 

When I get the chance, I want to talk to Matt about that Pro Power engine. Not sure if they still are or not, but at one time on the Late Model scene, you needed Pro Power under the hood to win. And because of that, I've always associated them as being a Late Model engine.

4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Not sure if they still are or not, but at one time on the Late Model scene, you needed Pro Power under the hood to win. And because of that, I've always associated them as being a Late Model engine.

I think nowadays the two big builders in Late Models are Pro-Power and Cornett

I know our data only goes back to 2004, but Matt owns the three longest streaks that we have seen over the last 15+ years. Here is a link to the data. You can also go by a driver's streak at an individual track, series, event, engine type, or any combination of those.

https://nemodfacts.racestatcentral.com/longeststreak.php?startdates=2004-01-01&enddates=2019-12-31&IDseries=0&IDtrack=0&stat=2&IDspecial=0&class=0

5 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

I think nowadays the two big builders in Late Models are Pro-Power and Cornett

Cornett is still real popular, but Durham and Clements seem to be the current hot ticket. Pro Power isn’t as popular anymore, they’ve had some durability issues with their Ford stuff. 

But in reality, it really isn’t the builder so much as it’s the design. Ford motors are kicking ass these days. 

15 hours ago, BobMiller said:

When I get the chance, I want to talk to Matt about that Pro Power engine. Not sure if they still are or not, but at one time on the Late Model scene, you needed Pro Power under the hood to win. And because of that, I've always associated them as being a Late Model engine.

Maybe talk to Jake since he won last 2 races at Fonda with Pro Power out'a Wisconsin per their Web page ...they have several used Big SB from $15K to $26K ...sorry boys with 358s ...You either need more weight break or Big SB to run with SF.......He was gone Sat pm before issues...And congrats to Jake....I said before and I'll say again run DB for $1200......COGS method ..Cost Of Goods Sold compared to rewards ......Fulton & UR 358 will run you $20,000 plus to  run  for $1200.....  $8000. crate for same $1200. to win at DB....

• Confused 4

If IMCA counts, Chris Fleming had a 13 or 14 race win streak between Brewerton and Fulton in 2014. Although the competition was quite what Matt has.

21 hours ago, BobMiller said:

At Woodhull alone? Or were they bouncing around from track to track?

Billy had 12 straight at Woodhull and mitch won 13 or 14 at 5 mile Point

Any lengthy win streak at a single track is impressive, but it's also easier than going from track to track were the talent pool and rules packages change per event.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigFeet13 said:

If IMCA counts, Chris Fleming had a 13 or 14 race win streak between Brewerton and Fulton in 2014. Although the competition was quite what Matt has.

I thought it was a perfect season at Brewerton with the exception of one 2nd place finish at the end?

On 5/23/2019 at 8:32 AM, leakin_fluids said:

I thought it was a perfect season at Brewerton with the exception of one 2nd place finish at the end?

I was crewing a sportsman at Skyline that year, and I seem to remember he either was spun or got damaged somehow coming up through the field and finished 2nd. I was never a big IMCA fan, but I tried to get our car ready early so I could run up and catch some of the IMCA features. He was in another zip code that season.

• Thanks 1

Ron Blackmer won 17 straight sportsman races at Stateline, Eriez, and Wattsburg back in the late 60's. I do not have records to confirm this, I just remember the announcer stating this after Skip Furlow beat him by inches to win a bounty that was put out there. That was a big thing back then, and it was a rather effective marketing tool for helping attendance.

If Matt keeps it up, could the same thing happen "today"? 

I haven’t heard of “bounties” in a long time. I definitely remember them growing up in the mid to late 90s and maybe even early 2000s. But I haven’t seen or heard of them happening in a very long time.

7 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

I haven’t heard of “bounties” in a long time. I definitely remember them growing up in the mid to late 90s and maybe even early 2000s. But I haven’t seen or heard of them happening in a very long time.

There was a bounty on Lance Dewease at Port Royal just last night. 

17 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Brockville Speedway had a bounty on Danny O'Brien a few years ago.