KB19

Unofficial Wayyyyy Too Early to Talk about OCFS 100th Anniversary Show

I warned you guys there'd be 3 of these this year since we've got 3 shows paying more than $50,000 to win. Just over 11 weeks away from the first one, the 100th Anniversary 160-lapper paying $100,000 to win at Orange County Fair Speedway.

As always, the only confirmed drivers are one's that we've confirmed 100%. Nobody gets put as confirmed just because they run OCFS weekly, or because they're usually there for big show. Main focus is the Saturday main event $100,000 to win show. Just because they're listed here doesn't mean they'll be there Thursday and Friday, too. There are plenty of topics on here about the issues OCFS has had this year, let's see how long we can keep this one from going down that path.

Confirmed
1 Billy Pauch
2 Jack Lehner
2A Mike Gular
R2 Rusty Smith
2RJ Ronnie Johnson
3 Billy Pauch Jr
3 Mat Williamson
3 Sam Martz
K3 Danny Cronk
4 Billy VanInwegen
4 Andy Bachetti
7 Donnie Wilson
J7 Brenden Finley
7K Kirk Horton
9s Matt Sheppard
14w Ryan Watt
16x Danny Creeden
17J Matt Janiak
J17 Jeff Heotzler 
17z Brian Krummel
20 Brett Hearn
21 Gary Edwards Jr
21m Bob McGannon
24 Chris Shultz
25 Erick Rudolph
26 Ryan Godown
28F Stan Frankenfield
29 Ryan Krachun
33H Matt Hitchcock
35 L.J. Lombardo
35 Mike Mahaney
43 Jimmy Horton
43 Ricky Davis
44 Stewart Friesen
44 Anthony Perrego
49 Billy Dunn
59 Yannick Mathieu
66 Tommy Meier
72 Dom Buffalino
88 Steve Dodd 
88 Mike Kolka
93x Craig Mitchell
97 Jerry Higbie
98H Jimmy Phelps
99L Larry Wight
126 Jeff Strunk
716 Corey Lowitt

I'm not a driver, but I'll be there... all the way from Florida! 

• Like 2

Billy VanInwegen, Kenny Tremont, and Larry Wight confirmed

6 minutes ago, KB19 said:

Billy VanInwegen, Kenny Tremont, and Larry Wight confirmed

Interesting as Brewerton and Fulton are both running those days 16th and 17th. Is larry going to forfeit a chance at the championship at both tracks for this race? 

Not taking anything away from what OCFS is trying to do but its really awful to be running this show on a normal weekend conflicting with many other tracks. 

58 minutes ago, 80K said:

Interesting as Brewerton and Fulton are both running those days 16th and 17th. Is larry going to forfeit a chance at the championship at both tracks for this race? 

Not taking anything away from what OCFS is trying to do but its really awful to be running this show on a normal weekend conflicting with many other tracks. 

Like I said in the original post, the only thing I'm confirming guys for is Saturday. Guys will get locked in on Thursday and Friday, but Saturday will be a complete show, so you don't have to be there the first 2 nights to qualify for the $100,000 to win show. It was announced at the start of the year Larry wasn't going to be at Fulton weekly.

I understand what you're saying, but when would you suggest they run this show? There aren't any openings late in the year, and they already have their traditional ESW. If they run too late in the year they dilute that event. If they run the run the big race on a weekend you lose cars and fans that have to use vacation days. If you run on a weekend at the start of the year you risk cold weather and lose out on fans. This race was announced before quite a few tracks schedules were released. A lot of tracks are off that weekend or are running non-points. The biggest point funds I can think of pay $10,000 to win the title, this race pays 10 times that to win on this one night. I don't see anyone can even remotely argue having a $100,000 to win a race at ANY point in the season is "really awful".

• Like 6

You kind of answered your own question. Re title ESW to 100th anniversary show. Its already a lock on the schedule year after year. People have built in time off from work around ESW. It would not conflict with any weekly racing. I do not see anywhere that Fulton, Canandaigua, Brewerton, Outlaw, Can Am or others are making any allowances to their drivers for this race. (it could be out there, I just didnt see it on their sites) 

I still feel its "really awful" your basically hurting every local track that runs a weekly show by pulling their stars away. Your hurting the fans that pay weekly to see said stars at the local hometown track. Your hurting the drivers that may now miss out on a track championship if they decide to try for 100K instead. Just my thoughts. Im just not a fan of tracks scheduling over each other and never will be is all. 

In the end, i feel a re-title of ESW would of killed two birds with one stone for just one year. 

I believe the reason they used that date is because that is the actual weekend of the 100th anniversary.

And from what I understand a good portion of the tracks will either not run modifieds that weekend or just do show up points to give teams the opportunity to race there.

I hear you, but don't you think it's better to having a $100,000 AND a $40,000 to win show? It's not like just the winner's are going to get solid paydays, either. Those 2 shows pay $1,000 and $1,500 to start. The highest track championship out there is (I believe) $10,000 (outside of OCFS) to win for the whole season.

And again, drivers don't have to be there for the weekend to qualify for Saturday's $100,000 to win race. Thursday they're having a complete show for $5,000 to win and Friday they're having a complete show for $10,000 to win, but it isn't like SDW or ESW where you have to be there the whole week to qualify. I'm sure there will be plenty of drivers that will run their Friday night track and then come for the $100,000 to win show. As for Saturday, Lebanon Valley is rewarding show up points to anyone at OCFS or LVS that night, Bridgeport, New Egypt, Five Mile Point, and Fonda have given modifieds off that night.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 80K said:

You kind of answered your own question. Re title ESW to 100th anniversary show. Its already a lock on the schedule year after year. People have built in time off from work around ESW. It would not conflict with any weekly racing. I do not see anywhere that Fulton, Canandaigua, Brewerton, Outlaw, Can Am or others are making any allowances to their drivers for this race. (it could be out there, I just didnt see it on their sites) 

I still feel its "really awful" your basically hurting every local track that runs a weekly show by pulling their stars away. Your hurting the fans that pay weekly to see said stars at the local hometown track. Your hurting the drivers that may now miss out on a track championship if they decide to try for 100K instead. Just my thoughts. Im just not a fan of tracks scheduling over each other and never will be is all. 

In the end, i feel a re-title of ESW would of killed two birds with one stone for just one year. 

The SDS has events on Saturday's is that ok?

• Haha 1

Having this weekend on a Saturday may help a few small teams win championships that they otherwise wouldn’t....is it terrible to allow a bunch of super high funded professional teams go battle it out for 100k, while a bunch of small teams have a shot to win a weekly show. There are teams out there that can not only use a 1500-2000 dollar payday but would be super proud to get a win no matter who was there. People are nuts if they think all these tracks that race on Saturday are going to be hurt by this event....most teams will be at their Saturday night home no matter how much they pay, or when they have the event. Most teams would spend far more valuable money just to go to Middletown, than they will ever make racing that event.

• Like 1

I said it in the other thread, but for a one time only, never going to happen again, single biggest payday in dirt mod history you'd be crazy NOT to run this on a weekend.

From a track perspective, running Saturday provides the greatest opportunity for fans to come watch and it gives you the option of a Sunday rain date. Running the 160 during the week gives you none of that. With many tracks playing ball with OCFS for this event, the opportunity for a huge field is there. As s fan, I am very grateful they're running on a Saturday. Saves a vacation day and means guys can tow in who may not have if it was run on a Thurs night.

• Like 4

Scott Friers, please show me where a Saturday SDS race conflicts with weekly racing? I checked and from what I can tell, it doesn't. Maybe that August date memorial day weekend but i think thats it. 

I never once said that this race should not be a on a saturday. What I did say is that a race of this magnitude should not be held in conflict with tracks weekly schedules. Its fine and great that they are working with all the local tracks in that region but it looks like CNY and beyond there are no exceptions and weekly shows will continue as normal, thus forcing drivers to choose.  

Still hold firm in my belief that this should of been on ESW. To be brutally honest, nobody really cares if its the exact date of the 100th anniversary or a couple weeks later. Its the same endgame. Just a thought, they could of taken that 100K purse, plus the 40K purse from ESW and had a mega 100th anniversary show with $140K purse. Lets say it was held ESW, nobody else is racing.  That would temp allot of small guys to go vs staying home cause of their home track running. Why limit yourself to a potentially lower car count due to other tracks running, vs on an open weekend (ESW) and a potential larger car count. 

If I owned a car and we where low or medium budget, august race for 100K or stay home track, I stay home track. ESW weekend for 100K, low budget team, no home track running, season is over most everywhere, heck lets go try. I can see that mentality for allot of teams.  

• Like 1

Most small teams are not going to Middletown for 500k to win , 100k to win, on a Saturday, Sunday,weekday, ESW, or any other event. Its going to get 60- 90 cars just like ESW no matter what. It’s not a place that most teams can go to without having to buy a bunch of tires, change the car all around and spend a boat load of money. If you don’t have a bunch of experience there you will not be competitive at a race like this. Those teams stand to make far more money staying at their home track. Choices are part of life, there are lots of competing sporting events that competitors must choose between. The guys who can win against anyone anywhere should chase the big money....the rest base their decisions on where they have the best chance to do well. 

Just like the last thread about this, small teams shouldn’t have to sacrifice points or a night of racing for the guys that want to race for 100 grand.

For arguement a sake let's say every track has 2 guys that are gonna go, how is it fair to the other 20 or whatever guys that ain't to simply get dumped for the night, or to get show up points and not real points? It ain't. 

• Like 1

Exactly dan, most guys are not going to this show. Fans are more than welcome to go where they please. The drivers who fill the field out, you know the 15 to 20 guys we rarely speak of and don’t matter to anyone, those guys are excited at a shot to win at their home tracks being that the 2-5 guys that constantly dominate will be elsewhere.

It is not unfair to the big names to force them to make a choice between 2k and a 2k point title(that they will win anyways) and 100k to win 1 event. This is life.

And a couple guys leaving for this show here and there is in no way gonna hurt a tracks attendance. More so think giving them the night off will cause the majority believe everyone goes to see modifieds and nothing else. 

The majority do go to see Modified's and nothing else. They're just forced to sit through the other classes to get to what they really want to watch. If they didn't, the majority of the grandstand wouldn't empty out after the Modified race was over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll bet you’re glad you started this thread Jamie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently westracing01 you ain't been to woodhull lately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justracing44 said:

So, Um. Who is going and who is not?

Ha, yeah, got a little sidetracked, there. Let's get this puppy back on track!

Dillon Steuer confirmed with the Petruska 66