Dear Mr. Deyo,

There are just 3 comments:

1) People are drawn to, and for the most part like, what you are doing because it’s different; you’re thinking outside the box and have a proven track record – no pun intended. For evidence you only need to look at the turn out of both competitors and fans (and this is NOT intended to be a slam on any promoter at ANY track, it’s just the facts). Which leads to number 2.

2) To whom should you be catering, if anyone? I think no one. The person who can tell you what you should (or not) be doing can do it better than you. IF such a person exists they should step up and show you how it’s done – to date no one’s even been able to match what you’re doing. In my opinion, for what THAT’s worth, listen to everyone as a courtesy, then do what you think is best; it’s served you well up to now. Which leads to number 3.

3) What exactly is it you’re selling to paying customers? I freely admit I could be wrong and feel free to correct me, it seems to me to be entertainment. That said, one of the reasons I would not choose to regularly go to many tracks these days (other than lack of opportunity) is LACK of entertainment value from the beginning of the night until the main events – the features always seem to deliver. However, suppose I were only to get to watch heat races on a track with lousy conditions, low visibility, and almost no passing and then the show were rained out. I would be less inclined to return for the same ‘lack of entertainment for dollars spent,’ especially when the track is the same week after week after week. You’ve already shown that it doesn’t have to be the same lousy conditions. Which leads back to number 1.

Sincerely,

BV/DV Fan

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

If someone ever posted something like that to Howie you people would rip them apart so let’s hear it for this love fest...hope the letter came with some KY.

• Haha 6

I ain't really sure what the point of the letter is myself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To whom should you be catering, if anyone? I think no one.” 

To be or not to be, that is the question. 

1 hour ago, dan dan said:

I ain't really sure what the point of the letter is myself. 

I'm not sure either...…..but it fits in with the general theme of this forum...….going around in circles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

some strong man love going on there...  wow...lol

• Haha 1

My bad. ROFL

I thought this was a board for exchanging ideas and *gasp* supporting the sport we all love so much (to quote the famous Bobby Varin). Sure as hell, we need more people like Brett. In a world that thrives on negativity, where people try to prop themselves up by dragging others down, posts like mine are the things that should be said more often.

On this board, things have gotten to the point where you've got Bob Miller posting a weekly, "No bitching" thread to counter the negativity that literally oozes out of many threads.

The 'No bitching' idea seemed to me to be permission to post something positive about what Brett is doing at Fonda, to counter the negativity of the barrage of posts over the past 2 weeks. Which is not to say Brett needed or even wanted it. Frankly speaking, after reading the replies, he MAY even wish that I hadn’t posted it. And to that point, I already regretting posting it, but I’m not going to take it down – one of the moderators can, especially if it’s making people "uncomfortable." And in the interest of full disclosure: I've never met Brett and I doubt I could pick him out of a line up.

Then, when one of the owners of the site chimes in and proverbially piles on, it makes me wonder what's really going on in threads like this. I have an inkling, which could be summarized as follows: Every time I would call someone something [like suggesting someone is quasi-homosexual], I would get a rush. That rush would then be reaffirmed and sustained by the smileys, hearts, and trophies that are the nickels and dimes of validation of blogs and boards and social media in general. The people giving me smileys, hearts, and trophies engage in a game that reaffirms their solidarity against [whomever it is that needs to be brought down] and thus, by default, requires them to signal publicly their affirmation. Without the game, their life loses some of it's meaning.”

And so I ask, what's next, am I going to be de-platformed, sent off to Tobyville, censored, tarred and feathered? I can hear it already, so I’ll save the trouble of writing:

Lighten up dude.

Don’t take yourself so seriously, geez.

WOW!

It’s only a joke.

Etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

With my best Austin Powers imitation: “Raaaiiiiggghhhttt.” At the same time, bring it. Clearly I got something wrong - set me right.

I close with this, adapted from Arthur Schlesinger, Jr.: "What has happened to the American male? For a long time, he seemed completely confident in his manhood, definite in his sense of identity. These days men are focused on proving their manliness to themselves [and others like them]. The ways by which American men affirm their masculinity are down-right silly."

That so many people took my post as a man-crush says far more about them than it does about me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

BV/DV Fan, I as one of the few that post with my name exposed, to not hide behind a screen name, here and other forums, can tell you that social media has become like a sickness for the majority. They find it near impossible to ever actually allow another to speak the truth, or opine anything without clobbering the hell out of you because they dont agree, or like what you have posted. All of that will NEVER change now, because its too easy to do. You’ve done NOTHING wrong! 

I value having two dirt tracks in my back yard so to speak. I have volunteered many hours for several promoters over the years at Fonda and Glenridge, because im a fan of racing and I felt it was the right thing to do when needed. I learned many years ago, when you step put into the public light, you HAVE to be prepared to deal with all that know they are better at what you do and how you do it. Most have no idea how not to be that way. 

There will always be great race night/days, and absolute shit race nights/days, thats a fact! Knowing how to deal with them and move on will always be a challenge, because we are all human. 

I hope those of us that live near tracks in our backyard, are afforded the opportunity for many years to come, to keep going to cheer or boo who ever we want, when we want, at the tracks we want!! 

There, now there are two of us that the rest can pile onto, frankly I dont give two shits!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J. Downing said:

BV/DV Fan, I as one of the few that post with my name exposed, to not hide behind a screen name, here and other forums, can tell you that social media has become like a sickness for the majority. They find it near impossible to ever actually allow another to speak the truth, or opine anything without clobbering the hell out of you because they dont agree, or like what you have posted. All of that will NEVER change now, because its too easy to do. You’ve done NOTHING wrong! 

I value having two dirt tracks in my back yard so to speak. I have volunteered many hours for several promoters over the years at Fonda and Glenridge, because im a fan of racing and I felt it was the right thing to do when needed. I learned many years ago, when you step put into the public light, you HAVE to be prepared to deal with all that know they are better at what you do and how you do it. Most have no idea how not to be that way. 

There will always be great race night/days, and absolute shit race nights/days, thats a fact! Knowing how to deal with them and move on will always be a challenge, because we are all human. 

I hope those of us that live near tracks in our backyard, are afforded the opportunity for many years to come, to keep going to cheer or boo who ever we want, when we want, at the tracks we want!! 

There, now there are two of us that the rest can pile onto, frankly I dont give two shits!! 

Now it's a threesome!

• Haha 1

I don't see anyone bashing the contents of the "letter"... just nobody seems to understand what you're trying to say. Heck, if anything your response is more of an overreaction than anything else I saw on here. Uncle Tom and Outlaw ribbed ya a bit, but nothing malicious or slamming you.

I absolutely consider myself a positive race fan, so I hear you that there's too much negativity on here, but that's not what's happening here. The whole "mightier than thou" rant is just going to bring the jokes a little heavier, now.

I actually don't even see where you're being overly positive towards him. You just kind of say a bunch of random things; who's been saying he should cater to anyone? Has a fan ever gone to a race and thought they weren't paying for entertainment? You also completely disregard that the drivers and teams are also paying customers of his.

Hope you don't take this as bashing, totally not the intent. Brett has been/is a great ambassador for the sport in a magnitude of ways, nobody can argue that, and I really haven't seen anyone try to argue that on here.

• Like 4

Much like You had said earlier and Jamie has just said, it was good natured ribbing ! There was no malice or bullying intended. We all agree that Deyo has been a breath of fresh air in the Northeast Modified scene. Now lighten up and start busting balls back😜😜😜

"To whom should you be catering, if anyone? I think no one."   What made you come up with that statement?  I'm guessing you don't really mean what you just said.  Any successful business person will obviously cater to the people who provide his business's revenue.  That would be the drivers, crews, and fans.  I agree with you as far as giving him a pat on the back for what he is doing. 

this is why i never post anymore here...  everyone needs to grow some thicker skin...   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it’s best to let this topic fade away.

KB19 may be right in saying “nobody seems to understand what you’re trying to say.”

A few people got it, at least in part. Bob Krummel for example. It was intended to be witty and point out the fact that Deyo shouldn’t even listen to me. J. Downing maybe understood it the way it was intended. Other than that ….

Outlaw Photos, surely growing a thicker skin goes both ways. You rib me, I rib you. I misunderstand, you misunderstand. C’est la vie.

dan dan, Bob Krummel, and KB19 – if you didn’t get the original post, it seems entirely unlikely that any explanation written by the OP is going to clarify things, but what the hey? I created this mess, the least I could do is my best to ‘fix’ it.

KB19 I never used the words ‘bash’ or ‘malicious’ or ‘slammed’ and I never thought I was being bashed, slammed, bullied, etc.. Whether it’s an over-reaction or not is open for debate. You have your opinion, I have mine. ‘mightier than thou’ - what does that mean? My second post was light-hearted banter, ribbing back at the ribbers. No “might” involved on my part – or … I SHOULD say, none intended. To my knowledge, no one has been saying Deyo should cater to anyone, the question was mine, which is to say ‘I said it first.’ I doubt a fan has gone to the races thinking that they weren’t paying for entertainment, but I’m equally sure many fans have left the races thinking they didn’t get the entertainment they paid for. Finally, I didn’t disregard anything. You confuse customer with competitor. I go to be entertained, drivers and teams go there to compete with one another.

Why would you assume that I would take discussion as bashing? Intelligent discussion is always welcome. Every time I engage someone, I assume they know something I don’t.

DowntheBackStretch - “"To whom should you be catering, if anyone? I think no one." What made you come up with that statement? I'm guessing you don't really mean what you just said.” You’ll be surprised (or not) to hear that I do mean it. First, I used the word cater intentionally, because I understand catering as being – one group getting some benefit to the exclusion of all other groups. Allow me to explain my convoluted thinking:

The following is completely hypothetical; any correlation to reality is purely accidental; I just created it in my mind as example.

Suppose, for example, that Deyo read the posts from a couple of weeks ago (and maybe even fielded some calls) where car owners were complaining about the track conditions; that the track was too heavy. So Brett decides to cater to those owners (after all they are spending tons of money to help put on the show every week) and make track conditions that they approve of and like. The result was and would be as I posted in my original post, point 3. If the track is shitty for the paying fans, from the beginning of the night until the features, I’m not getting much entertainment value for the money spent, and it's unlikely that I would choose to spend my money by supporting the track. [We can avoid any discussion about how little it costs to get in – that’s not the point. It’s my money; I get to spend it how I choose, IS the point.]

By catering to one group, other groups are not catered to. If you cater to no one, and focus on putting on the best show, most people will be satisfied (entertained) and continue to support the track.

The post by 80K, under Track Conditions, says, in more detail, what I was hinting at.

13 hours ago, BV/DV fan said:

I think it’s best to let this topic fade away.

KB19 may be right in saying “nobody seems to understand what you’re trying to say.”

A few people got it, at least in part. Bob Krummel for example. It was intended to be witty and point out the fact that Deyo shouldn’t even listen to me. J. Downing maybe understood it the way it was intended. Other than that ….

Outlaw Photos, surely growing a thicker skin goes both ways. You rib me, I rib you. I misunderstand, you misunderstand. C’est la vie.

dan dan, Bob Krummel, and KB19 – if you didn’t get the original post, it seems entirely unlikely that any explanation written by the OP is going to clarify things, but what the hey? I created this mess, the least I could do is my best to ‘fix’ it.

KB19 I never used the words ‘bash’ or ‘malicious’ or ‘slammed’ and I never thought I was being bashed, slammed, bullied, etc.. Whether it’s an over-reaction or not is open for debate. You have your opinion, I have mine. ‘mightier than thou’ - what does that mean? My second post was light-hearted banter, ribbing back at the ribbers. No “might” involved on my part – or … I SHOULD say, none intended. To my knowledge, no one has been saying Deyo should cater to anyone, the question was mine, which is to say ‘I said it first.’ I doubt a fan has gone to the races thinking that they weren’t paying for entertainment, but I’m equally sure many fans have left the races thinking they didn’t get the entertainment they paid for. Finally, I didn’t disregard anything. You confuse customer with competitor. I go to be entertained, drivers and teams go there to compete with one another.

Why would you assume that I would take discussion as bashing? Intelligent discussion is always welcome. Every time I engage someone, I assume they know something I don’t.

DowntheBackStretch - “"To whom should you be catering, if anyone? I think no one." What made you come up with that statement? I'm guessing you don't really mean what you just said.” You’ll be surprised (or not) to hear that I do mean it. First, I used the word cater intentionally, because I understand catering as being – one group getting some benefit to the exclusion of all other groups. Allow me to explain my convoluted thinking:

The following is completely hypothetical; any correlation to reality is purely accidental; I just created it in my mind as example.

Suppose, for example, that Deyo read the posts from a couple of weeks ago (and maybe even fielded some calls) where car owners were complaining about the track conditions; that the track was too heavy. So Brett decides to cater to those owners (after all they are spending tons of money to help put on the show every week) and make track conditions that they approve of and like. The result was and would be as I posted in my original post, point 3. If the track is shitty for the paying fans, from the beginning of the night until the features, I’m not getting much entertainment value for the money spent, and it's unlikely that I would choose to spend my money by supporting the track. [We can avoid any discussion about how little it costs to get in – that’s not the point. It’s my money; I get to spend it how I choose, IS the point.]

By catering to one group, other groups are not catered to. If you cater to no one, and focus on putting on the best show, most people will be satisfied (entertained) and continue to support the track.

The post by 80K, under Track Conditions, says, in more detail, what I was hinting at.

Oh ok... now I understand what you meant.  Even though I didnt understand your original post, I still thought enough about it that you got my interest.  And it got me thinking.  In particular, what is it that Deyo is doing that is so different than other promoters? Is he really doing anything much different? I could answer that with a yes or I could also answer that with a no.   So I continue to ask myself what he is doing different? He does seem to be promoting somewhat more than the other tracks do.  It seems like he is building excitement about his product which like you say is entertainment. Thoughts?

Deyo himself is a honest and open person. When people talk to him they find this out. He also doesn't deal well with bullshit, and he shouldn't. There will always be bumps in the road, everywhere. If given the chance Brett is more than willing to work on them openly. He wants the drivers and fans to be as equally as happy as possible all while providing affordable racing for both sides. That being said, good help has always been hard to find, always will be. Mother nature is a see you next Tuesday, and the property at Fonda has been neglected for generations when we speak of the speedway part of the property. No 1 person can walk in and change it all immediately!  As someone that has never met the man in person, I am more than willing to give him the chance to make things better, it already is in some aspects, again 1 person can fix all! If you know someone thats a expert in track prep, willing to “help”, a soil expert willing to “help”, a tech person that is willing to “help”, just among a few things, I'm certain he would be thrilled to talk to them on a non-race night! If also everyone could agree to follow the posted rules and hold each other accountable, that would go a long way to making things better than they have been, in all divisions, all the time! 

• Like 1

2 Thoughts:

1) The 'negative' folks are a small but vocal bunch. Sometimes it's good to take care of the squeaky wheel, but ... I think Deyo has been around enough to avoid doing that just to silence them (or bring the racket down to a dull roar). At the same time legitimate complaints (negatives) are useful for the promoter to know what to try to improve on.

2) I haven't given a lot of thought to what it is about Deyo's way that's different. One thing I could point to and perhaps argue for is sustainability. Someone posted a few years back about the difference between BB mod drivers and the rest of the country. While the BB guys are asking "what's it pay to win" everyone is asking "what's it pay to qualify [ie. last place money]". Not counting Fonda, but only because there's not enough data yet, Deyo has put a payout structure together that benefits pretty much everyone. Sponsors get their time. The feature payouts are somewhat balanced (although some are getting rather 'top heavy' <-- it's not my place to criticize, so I won't). And Deyo can put a couple of coins in his pocket to rub together. In other words, sustainable. Lots of money comes in, lots of money goes out, and he's able to manipulate a percentage of it, for the benefits of all participants.