What is the best dirt race any one has ever seen and why?    I would say mine was the showdow at sundown at Fulton...aj leading the race broke....danny leading the race broke Pete bicknell leading the race and broke....finally Dale planck takes the lead and at least the last ten laps he and Frank cozze battled door to door....planck on the bottom cozze on the top.....finally cozze got to the bottom and took dales line away to win the race.....was a real nail bitter of a fiinsh

Knoxville Nationals 2016. Emotional week after Bryan Clauson’s passing, Jason Johnson and Schatz had an incredible battle. JJ’s death makes it even more special as time goes by. 

• Like 3

I’ve seen way too many fantastic races in my 49 years of attending them. One that always sticks out for me was my first Chili Bowl in 2004. JJ Yeley had just come off his record breaking USAC Triple Crown season. He had a poor Qualifying Night which put him in the F Main on Saturday. He came from the F Main and made it to the A. Started the A in the back & got to 3rd at the Checkers. Had an incredible slidefest with Smoke along the way. He passed a total of 69 cars that night. It was amazing to watch. Made me forever love that event.

• Like 2

World of Outlaws Syracuse 1992. Kinser and Wild Child. Done.

1989 miller high life 300 at the mile..Cozze was leading with about 10 to go, when Danny took him out.Alan Johnson went on to win.

3 minutes ago, Stewyfan44 said:

1989 miller high life 300 at the mile..Cozze was leading with about 10 to go, when Danny took him out.Alan Johnson went on to win.

Was there for this one too. AJ qualified through the LCQ no less. 

I was there for that race too actually Alan tied for the last qualifying spot in non qualifiers race so he was also put in the race. 

13 minutes ago, GoFast39Fan said:

I was there for that race too actually Alan tied for the last qualifying spot in non qualifiers race so he was also put in the race. 

I too was there for that race. No matter what the records say, Alan absolutely did NOT qualify in the LCQ race. He was beaten by at least a quarter car length. I was standing there, right at the starters stand when they came across the line. It was always nice to be one of Glenn’s pets. I have nothing against AJ, crept for the fact that he won a race he should have never been in. I’m certain that he would’ve gotten a provisional regardless.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jumper12a said:

I’ve seen way too many fantastic races in my 49 years of attending them. One that always sticks out for me was my first Chili Bowl in 2004. JJ Yeley had just come off his record breaking USAC Triple Crown season. He had a poor Qualifying Night which put him in the F Main on Saturday. He came from the F Main and made it to the A. Started the A in the back & got to 3rd at the Checkers. Had an incredible slidefest with Smoke along the way. He passed a total of 69 cars that night. It was amazing to watch. Made me forever love that event.

I honestly thought JJ was going to be a superstar when he moved up to NASCAR, he certainly can drive the wheels off the short track cars.

4 hours ago, Uncle tom said:

I too was there for that race. No matter what the records say, Alan absolutely did NOT qualify in the LCQ race. He was beaten by at least a quarter car length. I was standing there, right at the starters stand when they came across the line. It was always nice to be one of Glenn’s pets. I have nothing against AJ, crept for the fact that he won a race he should have never been in. I’m certain that he would’ve gotten a provisional regardless.

I don't know if this matters for that particular finish, but Syracuse had a "scoring pole" that was before the starter's stand. Remember reading about it in Gater years and years ago.

In the recent past, you cant(or I can’t) discount the Super Dirt Week race from 2 years ago when Matt Sheppard got by Peter Britten on my he last lap to claim the win! 

• Like 2

2014 The night there where 2 winners at PENN CAN Danny Johnson and Kevin  Hartnett crossed the line at same time for a tie

• Like 1

2010 All-Star sprint race at Fonda. Tyler Walker and Daryn Pittman slide jobbing back and forth for the last 3-5 laps battling for the win was incredible. 

Last years O’Canada 150 at Cornwall where Matt Sheppard went back dead last twice to come back all the way for the win with a last turn pass on Mat Williamson. It was incredible to see.

59 minutes ago, LaVoix said:

Last years O’Canada 150 at Cornwall where Matt Sheppard went back dead last twice to come back all the way for the win with a last turn pass on Mat Williamson. It was incredible to see.

LaVoix your right, that race was a classic.It was one of those that you never forget.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:30 PM, no rain said:

2014 The night there where 2 winners at PENN CAN Danny Johnson and Kevin  Hartnett crossed the line at same time for a tie

Hartnett definitely won that race, but that sure was an interesting one