What type of dirt track conditions do you prefer, as a spectator, a driver or as an owner/ pit crew member?

1. Hard, dry, dusty, slick as snot!

2. Hard, dry, dusty rubbered up, slick as ice?

3. Damp, some bite, still some dust, starting to take rubber

4. Wet, lots of bite, multi lane, less dust

5. Wet but not heavy, lots of bite, fast but can be rough

6. Heavy Wet & really fast

Track conditions vary so much from track to track, sometimes week to week, area to area, some tracks never change & always seem to have less than desirable conditions regardless of the weather, no matter what they do in prep. Pick your poison!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, REDDFOXX said:

What type of dirt track conditions do you prefer, as a spectator, a driver or as an owner/ pit crew member?

1. Hard, dry, dusty, slick as snot!

2. hard, dry, rubbered up slick as ice?

None of the above?🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The most fun I've had racing has been on black slick tracks.  Very little dust, maybe a little brown around the inside of the track and slick to a thin cushion.  Something where there is no real "preferred" lane.

Keep in mind, a track being black does NOT mean it's rubbered up.  NOBODY drivers/fans wants a track to take rubber because that usually means one-laned and killing tires.  Thankfully, that's a pretty rare occurrence in Central and Western NY.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, 22racingteam said:

None of the above?🤷‍♂️

Sorry I mistakenly posted before finishing my thoughts, sorry...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Little bit of bite on the bottom, slick in the middle, and a nice big cushion up top

• Like 4

Like this for example

• Like 1

A topic right after my heart. Its a known fact that NE mod drivers want a dry slick track as its easier on equipment. The bi product of dry slick is dust. What keeps some fans and new fans away from dirt racing? The dust. Leading to less and less folks in the stands. Less folks in the stands, tracks eventually close. So who is to blame? The drivers? The track? Adult women are the biggest untapped market in dirt racing. What keeps them away? The dust. 

Dry slick i feel evens the playing field and puts more emphasis on driver skill and setups. I believe dry slick takes engine out of the equation . A heavy track is more emphasis on motor and less on skill/setup. 

As a driver, i hated dry slick and skating around all night. Always felt tacky was more fun. As a fan, I want to SEE and ENJOY racing, thus meaning as a fan, I dont want to see dry slick. There are tracks that get it right and there are products to help put on a good track. Sadly tracks wont invest the money into it. I had posted on here before about VP's stay wet that several tracks out west and south use. Track keeps bite throughout the night, never slicks off, dust is nearly eliminated and fan count has increased.  If anyone is interested i can share a link to the podcast with the creator. Extremely interesting. 

I guess in the end my point being, there are track conditions where the drivers, track and fans all meet in the middle. Part of me says, a track should prepare the track as THEY feel fit. Not what the drivers want. Its up to the driver to show up, adjust to conditions and give it all they got. Part of the excitement of dirt track racing. I dont know. There is really no clear answer. 

Link to podcast with Vp's Dane Miller. Episode 12

http://dirtnerds.libsyn.com/2017/07

7 minutes ago, 80K said:

Its a known fact that NE mod drivers want a dry slick track as its easier on equipment.

Easier on equipment might be an added benefit, but a track which affords the ability to race is the main reason.  If the track is fast, typically everybody is fast which is not conducive to good racing.  The higher the horsepower and the less unglued the cars are that condition diminishes, but then you run into rough conditions 9 times out of 10.  It's all a balancing act.

2 hours ago, 80K said:

A topic right after my heart. Its a known fact that NE mod drivers want a dry slick track as its easier on equipment. The bi product of dry slick is dust. What keeps some fans and new fans away from dirt racing? The dust. Leading to less and less folks in the stands. Less folks in the stands, tracks eventually close. So who is to blame? The drivers? The track? Adult women are the biggest untapped market in dirt racing. What keeps them away? The dust. 

Dry slick i feel evens the playing field and puts more emphasis on driver skill and setups. I believe dry slick takes engine out of the equation . A heavy track is more emphasis on motor and less on skill/setup. 

As a driver, i hated dry slick and skating around all night. Always felt tacky was more fun. As a fan, I want to SEE and ENJOY racing, thus meaning as a fan, I dont want to see dry slick. There are tracks that get it right and there are products to help put on a good track. Sadly tracks wont invest the money into it. I had posted on here before about VP's stay wet that several tracks out west and south use. Track keeps bite throughout the night, never slicks off, dust is nearly eliminated and fan count has increased.  If anyone is interested i can share a link to the podcast with the creator. Extremely interesting. 

I guess in the end my point being, there are track conditions where the drivers, track and fans all meet in the middle. Part of me says, a track should prepare the track as THEY feel fit. Not what the drivers want. Its up to the driver to show up, adjust to conditions and give it all they got. Part of the excitement of dirt track racing. I dont know. There is really no clear answer. 

Link to podcast with Vp's Dane Miller. Episode 12

http://dirtnerds.libsyn.com/2017/07

The problem is having the dirt that will allow you to have those conditions. Many of the places I've been to have a hard time keeping the track racey and heavy without it having huge holes or peeling. When its heavy up where we race we all just kind of line up in the middle. Then theres always the other extreme of being so slick we line up on the bottom. 

As a fan 4. But love a big cushion on the top side. Got many friends and family that won’t go to the races anymore due to dry slick surfaces. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, toprow said:

As a fan 4. But love a big cushion on the top side. Got many friends and family that won’t go to the races anymore due to dry slick surfaces. 

I honestly believe that’s why a lot of tracks crowds are a lot lighter then they use to be.   My dad went to fonda every week for 40 years not missing a race.  In the last 10 years he has gone ONCE.   You couldn’t get him to go anymore even if you gave him a free pass. 

• Like 1

Smooth and slick with a cushion and a strip of brown along the bottom. 

• Like 5

Between 2 and 3... Some bite, weather its from abrasiveness or moisture, but not to fast to destroy race cars, and multiple lanes.... Separates the men from the boys because it requires handling, but not so slick its a 1 line parade where everyones equal and no one can go anywhere.  For todays cars and equipment... thats the sweet spot. 

2 hours ago, toprow said:

A lot of the dry slick track conditions started to show up when the body styles changed on the cars. Bigger bodies and wings added to the inside of the cars. Think about it. The dry dusty conditions weren't around when the cars had the small narrow bodies on them.  Here's another thing I think keeps the fans away. The cars all look the same. Crate sportsman,  open sportsman, 358's and mods they all look the same. I know its been said before but its time to change the bodies on the cars.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RJO said:

A lot of the dry slick track conditions started to show up when the body styles changed on the cars. Bigger bodies and wings added to the inside of the cars. Think about it. The dry dusty conditions weren't around when the cars had the small narrow bodies on them.  Here's another thing I think keeps the fans away. The cars all look the same. Crate sportsman,  open sportsman, 358's and mods they all look the same. I know its been said before but its time to change the bodies on the cars.

I can't really see why people care if the cars look different. From the racers perspective the body needs to be right at the limit of the rules in order to get the most out of it

7 hours ago, matt_s86 said:

NOBODY drivers/fans wants a track to take rubber because that usually means one-laned and killing tires.

Not true. There is a legion of Alan Johnson fans out here who beg to differ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 22racingteam said:

I honestly believe that’s why a lot of tracks crowds are a lot lighter then they use to be.   My dad went to fonda every week for 40 years not missing a race.  In the last 10 years he has gone ONCE.   You couldn’t get him to go anymore even if you gave him a free pass. 

I’m in the same boat. You couldn’t give a free pass anymore to many people I know to watch dry slick and minimal passing. 

1 hour ago, Devin Willis said:

I can't really see why people care if the cars look different. From the racers perspective the body needs to be right at the limit of the rules in order to get the most out of it

You can't tell one division from another without a program. 😊

13 hours ago, RJO said:

I'd have to disagree with this. I believe this train of thought just comes from the dislike of the current body styles and is an easy finger to point. If that where the case, same could be said about late models. They are in essence a giant wing. So the wing/downforce theory equates to dust does not hold true nationwide. Its 100% track prep all the time every time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 80K said:

I'd have to disagree with this. I believe this train of thought just comes from the dislike of the current body styles and is an easy finger to point. If that where the case, same could be said about late models. They are in essence a giant wing. So the wing/downforce theory equates to dust does not hold true nationwide. Its 100% track prep all the time every time. 

Not only that, the tracks are fast and tacky around here if it rains at say 3 PM the day of a race. It just seems like NY promoters are scared to water the track sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

At Fonda Speedway it doesn't matter if it's hard slick or rough as a corn field, The driver's always put on a great show. 

13 hours ago, RJO said:

You can't tell one division from another without a program. 😊

That’s bologna right there.  To the naked eye walking in the pit area sure, there is no visible difference between a big block modified and a 602 sportsman. 

Put them on the track though and you can instantly tell the difference.  The sound of the engine alone would be enough to set them apart, let alone the speed differential. 

• Like 1