The prices are especially high for the Thursday and Friday night portions. $45 for a $5k to win mod race and Sportsman. And Friday at $55 for 10k to win modified and 358's. I see a lot of empty seats on those 2 days. Child prices are way out of line. The place will still be packed on Saturday for the historical event.

Now if we can get the event format. I am wondering will caution laps count for the 160? Hoping it is 160 green flag laps to make it interesting.

1 hour ago, predmore13 said:

Now if we can get the event format. I am wondering will caution laps count for the 160? Hoping it is 160 green flag laps to make it interesting.

160 green laps = 4 Hours of Middletown based upon tire wear during ESW.

11 minutes ago, Bicknell55 said:

160 green laps = 4 Hours of Middletown based upon tire wear during ESW.

The most exciting part of this race will be seeing who and how many comes through the pit gate on Saturday. Everything after that will probably be a huge let down.

• Like 1

Lots of negativity towards OCFS. While I do agree that they deserve most of it let's give them credit for trying something new.  And giving modified drivers to race before a never before seen payout. 

As far as track conditions go, they are supposed to be getting a brand new surface to race on before the all star sprint race next month. As long as they get the right people to lay the new surface down you all may be in for a big surprise. I am keeping an open mind and hope that the racing improves. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

People only bitch and moan...

And then they will pay to get in...

And then they will bitch and moan...

And then.... and then... and then

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not a complaint. Just looking for an explanation of a general logic. And I suspect I already know the answer. 

Why does how much a race pays, dictate the the cost at the front gate? and should it? 

Does this model hold true for nascar races? 

Does this model hold true for national dirt races? (Sprints and LM)

My general thought is that it helps to pay the purse. Now thinking outside the box here. Would it be smarter to have 5,000 people paying $35 or 2,000 people paying $60? and just based upon the DTD forums sample size, that when the high prices where announced, between two threads there are many people saying the high prices are keeping them home. 

In my mind, $45, $55 and $60 plus $20 to park thats $180. (leaving food and lodging out) I could probably get a season pass for my home track for that price and see 16-20 nights vs 3. 

I’d have thought that $100 for all three nights would have been reasonable. $160 is a lot. It’ll probably force a lot of people to just go Saturday.

How about we compare Friday, Saturday and Sunday Super Dirt Week prices to Thursday, Friday and Saturday OCFS 100th Anniversary prices. By the way, Don't forget the purse on the 100th Anniversary race is just about double what SDW pays out. Good thing they aren't "Doubling" the ticket prices.

1 hour ago, KrashMender said:

How about we compare Friday, Saturday and Sunday Super Dirt Week prices to Thursday, Friday and Saturday OCFS 100th Anniversary prices. By the way, Don't forget the purse on the 100th Anniversary race is just about double what SDW pays out. Good thing they aren't "Doubling" the ticket prices.

They're a lot closer to doubling the ticket prices than they are to doubling the purse compared to SDW. The purse is significantly better, but not nearly doubled ($176,700 total purse for the big block race at SDW vs. $251,000 total purse for the Saturday big-block race at OCFS). Didn't calculate everything else, but with the $20,000 to win 358 race plus the purses for the heats, sportsman, and pro stocks vs the prelim nights at OCFS, I'm sure the other purses come close to a wash.

General admission for OCFS is $150 for the 3 days, SDW for the week general admission is $80 and gets you access into the main pit area off the backstretch all week long. Plus, Oswego's general admission seating is much better than OCFS, where the entire covered and 1/2 covered grandstands are only for reserved ticket holders. Reserved camping at SDW for the week is $100 while at OCFS it's going to be either $150 for general or $200 for reserved (top row of the drive in section)

I'm excited for OCFS, so this isn't a knock on their prices. More that since SDW moved to Oswego, from a fans perspective, it's actually turned into a pretty solid deal.

• Like 1

Pay all that money to watch stewie or matt[ my fav] win by over 3 sec over 2nd place,, priceless! Go to Accord for $20 or bethel for $5,,which might be more now dunno,,.

Here,s the catch The full and all half covered grandstands are reserved , that's 65 $.Tell me where is general admission.The haulers will block  the 2nd and 3rd corners as well as all the back straight away. Thurs and fri are not worth the price. Newer is not always better. I remember everyone praising the new ownership . Look im pro business,but sooner or later the customer pays, you wanted improvements you got em now pay up. Ill take the old OCFS i could sit up top half covered and see the whole track,

put my blanket down early and afford a couple of dogs and not have to get a loan to see the show.    

In general fans dont care what the purse is so to keep throwing that out there to justify the exorbitant cost of admission is just silly.  Fans just want to see good racing. This race is way over priced for in all reality what will be just another SDS or STSS race with all the same drivers. I havent heard of any big names from outside the NE making an attempt to add any excitement. I have a gut feeling being such a big track thats notoriously dry slick its going to be a strung out boring race with little to no passing.  Your going to see Friesen, Sheppherd or Hearn up front for the win. At first i was excited for the race and really wished to see it succeed. But with stepping on weekly tracks racing forcing driver to give up track points or run for the money and now being over priced, i dont think itll be the massive success that people expect. 50-75 big blocks max and the stands wont be full. 

1 hour ago, 80K said:

In general fans dont care what the purse is so to keep throwing that out there to justify the exorbitant cost of admission is just silly.  Fans just want to see good racing. This race is way over priced for in all reality what will be just another SDS or STSS race with all the same drivers. I havent heard of any big names from outside the NE making an attempt to add any excitement. I have a gut feeling being such a big track thats notoriously dry slick its going to be a strung out boring race with little to no passing.  Your going to see Friesen, Sheppherd or Hearn up front for the win. At first i was excited for the race and really wished to see it succeed. But with stepping on weekly tracks racing forcing driver to give up track points or run for the money and now being over priced, i dont think itll be the massive success that people expect. 50-75 big blocks max and the stands wont be full. 

If fans don't care about purses why do races like DIRT Week or the Knoxville Nationals or the King's Royal or any number of other races get the biggest crowds?

Why was the crowd for the $50,000 race at Grandview absolutely insane?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FightForTheRail said:

If fans don't care about purses why do races like DIRT Week or the Knoxville Nationals or the King's Royal or any number of other races get the biggest crowds?

Why was the crowd for the $50,000 race at Grandview absolutely insane?

Fans dont care if the winner gets $10 or $10,000,000.00. They go to see the competition competing for that money.  Why does Brewerton pack the house almost weekly with fans? Its not because the drivers are racing for a couple grand to win. Its because of the quality of drivers and high level of competition. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, 80K said:

Fans dont care if the winner gets $10 or $10,000,000.00. They go to see the competition competing for that money.  Why does Brewerton pack the house almost weekly with fans? Its not because the drivers are racing for a couple grand to win. Its because of the quality of drivers and high level of competition. 

Your seriously comparing 1000 people GA at Brewerton on Fridays to the Knoxville Nationals 🤣😄

It is $12 to get in Friday at Brewerton.     Jeez, I wonder why it is not $12 to get the Hurricane 100...…..wtf

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 80K said:

But Brewerton's crowd is even better when it costs more to get in and there's a better purse, right? Ala the Hurricane 100 or the Super DIRTcar Series.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I definitely go to races based on the purses. If a track is willing to put up big money for a race, I'm going to travel however far I have to so I can support it. The complaint everyone has had for so long is purses are stagnant. Similar to what Fred Rahmer said back in the day, if everyone supports the race that pays $1,500 to win the same way they support a race that pays $20,000 or more to win, what's the incentive in the track ever raising the purse?

• Like 3

My point has completely escaped the both of you. I'll try one last time. I'll word it extremely simple. 

The money draws the drivers. The drivers draw the fans. The money does not draw the fans.

The fans do not care if the drivers are racing for $3 or $3 million dollars. The fans are not paying admission to see that money being given away. The fans are paying admission to see a high level of competition. 

As for KB's hurricane scenerio, yes your right. But thats because every big name driver from the north east is there so fans want to see that. Fans are not going cause it pays 5K. 

Leroy where did i mention knoxville nationals? I dont see that i did. I was using hypothetical numbers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 80K said:

My point has completely escaped the both of you. I'll try one last time. I'll word it extremely simple. 

The money draws the drivers. The drivers draw the fans. The money does not draw the fans.

The fans do not care if the drivers are racing for $3 or $3 million dollars. The fans are not paying admission to see that money being given away. The fans are paying admission to see a high level of competition. 

As for KB's hurricane scenerio, yes your right. But thats because every big name driver from the north east is there so fans want to see that. Fans are not going cause it pays 5K. 

Leroy where did i mention knoxville nationals? I dont see that i did. I was using hypothetical numbers. 

And  I will word it simpler for you.  Do you figure Brewerton on a regular show gets the same quality of drivers and the level of competition that a special show brings???     seriously

Nationals was just one  an example of a big event. Used in a post prior.  Could of used  a mod special, the Sixer, Oswego, Syracuse prior, etc.  Any big dollar mod show.

The 1000 GA was also hypothetical and not figuring pits.  But I've been to Brewerton on a Friday with closer to 800 GA.

I just do not get the reasoning of why  a bigger event/higher paying purse should not cost more money to get in?  If that were the case, special events would be no more. Racing is a business.

Heck, I can go to Fulton  just about any Saturday night and camp for free pay 12 er 15 bucks to get in.   Try going to Outlaw 200.  $50 to camp.  $35 to get in.   

Do I think the pricing announced for the OC is a little bit high?  Perhaps.  Maybe it could of been a little closer to what DIRTweek charges?.  But heck for years, for the last several years I have skipped Syracuse/Oswego in favor of other specials.

It is what it is. Go to the races or do not.   Do not like one event, Go to another

We are lucky as fans that we have all these choices of many different tracks running and different races to choose from.  What happens if these tracks close?    Lots of choices right now. That is a good thing.  

Me,  I had been looking at going to somewhere other than OC long before the prices were announced.  There is another special I prefer that weekend if possible

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Justracing44 said:

I'm out. Ill pay $12.00 and watch hard racing for 35 laps somewhere else. Maybe grab a hotdog. then decided what to do with the remaining $$

I am crossing my fingers that maybe I can go to Port Royal and see the WoO lates plus 410's that evening.   Nothing to do with the OC pricing though.  That would be my choice if OC cut admission in half

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80K said:

So by this line, if the money isn't there, the drivers aren't there meaning the fans aren't there. Meaning the money draws the fans, simple enough for you?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, no rain said:

Well I hope OCFS reads some of this and adjusts some of the pricing. And I have  to wonder what Eastern States will be like.

They won,t.you can count on that

• Like 1