46 Mods. Sorry toprow but slick & dry doesn't mean bad racing. Just slower. Good racing isn’t always about speed.  I’ve been to Fulton 5xs this year & I’ve enjoyed the racing every time. To each their own. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, montess said:

46 Mods. Sorry toprow but slick & dry doesn't mean bad racing. Just slower. Good racing isn’t always about speed.  I’ve been to Fulton 5xs this year & I’ve enjoyed the racing every time. To each their own. 

Never said it was bad did I??? Just stating a fact.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, toprow said:

Never said it was bad did I??? Just stating a fact.

Sorry but when people say black slick these days it’s almost always bad/negative. Trust me I’ve got a 3yr argument with 2 really good friends with this same subject rite now.  If you didn’t mean it that way why mention it?

14 minutes ago, montess said:

Sorry but when people say black slick these days it’s almost always bad/negative. Trust me I’ve got a 3yr argument with 2 really good friends with this same subject rite now.  If you didn’t mean it that way why mention it?

For people at home who couldn’t be at the race. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, montess said:

Because that’s what the track was? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent track conditions tonight in my opinion.  Table top smooth.   Good car counts. Good racing all around.

Two sportsman 25 lappers, and 100 for the  mods.   Entire show over at 1015.     Nice to see The Doctor run well

• Like 2

Promoters take note ... it's not about the back gate!!! 100 cars in 2 classes and on our way home at a reasonable hour (10:15) . 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, MRKLEEN said:

Promoters take note ... it's not about the back gate!!! 100 cars in 2 classes and on our way home at a reasonable hour (10:15) . 

Nailed it!

• Thanks 1

100 cars actually is a back-gate kind of show. 

The key is to run it efficiently.

A back-gate show is not "just add more divisions" (or shouldn't be, that's just dumb, even though that's what a lot of tracks do in desperation) -- it's having the *right kind* of divisions so you can get a lot of cars. Ohsweken is a perfect example: 4 classes -- Ministocks, Street Stocks, Crate Sprints, 360 Sprints. They get 100-125+ cars every single week. And run a tight and efficient show with two classes of Sprint cars that gets done at a decent hour and has great racing.

I wish more promoters would prioritize keeping the show moving along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MRKLEEN said:

Not many tracks pull 50-60 sportsman cars on a regular basis.  It’s a good problem to have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MRKLEEN said:

If you mean 2 classes only then I'm ok with that.  However,.100 cars in the pits has that promoter licking their chops with the revenue generated from the back gate. 

• Like 1

If you notice , at some of the tracks that run multiple divisions,. drivers that used to race one division now race another. Some drivers have switched between three different.   It would not surprise me if a track were to cut classes, that the drivers would still race.   Same amount of cars in  the pits, just less divisions

For Montess, or anyone who has been there often this season, how did last night's crowd compare to a regular show?  I thought the racing was good, but was surprised the crowd wasn't bigger.

Larry seemed to fade from the drop.of the green from the Twitter feeds I was following.  Any details? Pretty uncharacteristic...

11 minutes ago, Fulbrew said:

For Montess, or anyone who has been there often this season, how did last night's crowd compare to a regular show?  I thought the racing was good, but was surprised the crowd wasn't bigger.

I'll go out on a limb and say it's because there are two different types of race fans that follow modifieds. There are "race fans" and then there are "big block race fans".

The latter fans miss some really great racing and really limit themselves in being entertained.

As far as talent in the 358 class, in my opinion it's as good or better than the BB's. There might be a couple elites in the BB class but there's way more "could win" drivers that show up to the SB races.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dirt-in-my-beer said:

If you mean 2 classes only then I'm ok with that.  However,.100 cars in the pits has that promoter licking their chops with the revenue generated from the back gate. 

100 cars times atleast 2 pit passes per car at $40 is $8,000.00. and 12K if we go to 3 crew members per team. 

$22 per person for the fans. lets say 500 fans? thats $11,000.00

Approx 19K subtract out expenses, add in concessions. Not really all that profitable. 

12 hours ago, leroy said:

Nice to see The Doctor run well

According to his fan page on Facebook he drove it one handed for more than half the feature, using his other hand to hold it in gear. Pretty damn impressive.

42 minutes ago, 80K said:

100 cars times atleast 2 pit passes per car at $40 is $8,000.00. and 12K if we go to 3 crew members per team. 

$22 per person for the fans. lets say 500 fans? thats $11,000.00

Approx 19K subtract out expenses, add in concessions. Not really all that profitable. 

not sure there was 500 fans..... sadly

24 minutes ago, racermurray said:

Anybody know if Williamson had a W16 under the hood ?

Last year that team had a w 16 but not sure this year.

2 hours ago, Justracing44 said:

not sure there was 500 fans..... sadly

That's like the difference between the old SuperDIRT tour races and the mid-summer 358 Tour races at OCFS ... overflowing crowd for the Big Blocks, nobody in the stands for the 358s. The 358s put on a whale of a show (I'm biased, they are my local division).

One of my favorite races of the year used to be the 358 Race of Kings at Lebanon Valley -- a ton of cars and a ton of wild cards drivers who only raced there once in a while. It was always a wild show. 

Same deal in Sprint car country -- 410 Sprints pack the stands in Central PA, the same top drivers in 360s without the 410s and the crowd is a lot smaller.