Matt Sheppard seems to be struggling as of late, or have we been programed to expect to much? Didn't seem to have much bounce at the big show,  races such as the one last night at the Land of Legends, we expect him to catch the leader. With all great talent, I'm sure it's just a momentary slump. Once the 9s starts winning we will probably be looking at more long winning streaks!

He picked the wrong tire at the Big Show..   i wouldn't bet the farm against him winning a ton more this year...

• Like 2

Even the most dominant drivers have off nights. 

• Like 1

This has to close to some type of record for time since we have had a Sheppard topic .... thank god we have another one

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Anyone not thinking the 9s is the clear cut favorite for Thursday’s SDS show at canandaigua is nuts...

Peers of Edison said Tesla was nuts too.

And people with open minds who attend the track regularly will say that anyone not thinking Erick Rudolph has a 50/50 chance is blind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matt was/is at the top for a long stretch. He seemed to always be getting 100% from his car where his competitors were not.

There wasn't exactly any room for him to get better but,  there was however room for his competitors.  Maybe some have caught up?

Same thing with Dunn at Can am. He was a lock not long ago to win by half a lap. He's still atop the points but not winning like he used to.

I still think Rudolph is a season or two from being the top dog. He gets better year after year and still progressing.  If he's nearly on par with matt now, he might be better soon...

4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Peers of Edison said Tesla was nuts too.

And people with open minds who attend the track regularly will say that anyone not thinking Erick Rudolph has a 50/50 chance is blind.

Rudolph is very capable as well. Just because I don’t live 15 minutes from the track doesn’t mean I don’t follow it religiously every week. I’m fully aware Erick won last year’s track title and has been heating up lately. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find many people who were down to their last $100 and had a choice between putting it all on Sheppard or someone else winning, nearly everyone is taking Matt on his home turf where he’s dominated the last 5-8 years. What’s he won? 40ish percent of his starts there or more in that time span?

Id love for someone a bit more random like Justin Haers, Billy Dunn or Justin Wright to win. Just doubt it happens. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Rudolph is very capable as well. Just because I don’t live 15 minutes from the track doesn’t mean I don’t follow it religiously every week. I’m fully aware Erick won last year’s track title and has been heating up lately. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find many people who were down to their last $100 and had a choice between putting it all on Sheppard or someone else winning, nearly everyone is taking Matt on his home turf where he’s dominated the last 5-8 years. What’s he won? 40ish percent of his starts there or more in that time span?

Id love for someone a bit more random like Justin Haers, Billy Dunn or Justin Wright to win. Just doubt it happens. 

If you watched the DTD broadcast Saturday night, then you also saw there was pretty good damage to the right side of Rudolph's car from early contact with another car. Rudolph dropped 3 or 4 positions in that exchange, making it pretty obvious that the car wasn't handling the same after as it did before. He adjusted his driving to compensate and pulled off the win... or at least that's how I saw it.

In victory lane he acknowledged that there was body damage. I bet that when he got the car out of the trailer in the daylight on Sunday to get a better look at things, mechanical stuff was bent or broken too.

I'm not saying that Matt Sheppard isn't the best in the business. What I am saying is that there are a lot of people out there who read the headlines the next day because they attend races elsewhere and automatically think that because Matt Sheppard won at Canandaigua, he has a stranglehold on the place. That isn't anywhere close to the truth.

Billy Dunn is getting better every week. I can't believe for a second that he won't win there this year. Justin Haers had to fall back on a backup car Saturday night because they discovered something wrong with the primary car after hot laps.

You want random? Keep your eye out for this Dillon Groover kid. I believe he is 17 years old and in his rookie season of Big Blocks. He is fearless, fast and I'm not hearing complaints about him. It wouldn't surprise me to see him take home a "W" if the circumstances were right. James Sweeting is another young guy who could also take home a first ever win. Sweeting has a few seasons under his belt and has led a couple of features real strong and into the later stages. But late race cautions tightened the field up and the more seasoned guys prevailed. A green to checkers event will probably be how he wins his first, but then after that, he'll be fine. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Kyle Coffey etch his name into the feature wins list. Kyle has good equipment and he's fast. The only thing he lacks is consistency. Kyle has a habit of jumping the cushion or entering a corner too low that creates a monster push. And when he does, he loses his concentration for a few laps and allows some of the key guys by. He usually salvages a decent finish, but he need to work on focus. Once he gets that down, he'll start winning.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MRKLEEN said:

This has to close to some type of record for time since we have had a Sheppard topic .... thank god we have another one

I had to switch gears, GOD FORBID I CONGRATULATED Erick Rudolph on his great runs lately, my ass would have been hung out to dry. This seems to be more of a Sheppard forum. Congratulating anyone else but Sheppard you must proceed at your own risk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, burtonfan1995 said:

Most drivers would love to struggle that badly

With tonight's 2nd place finish he has now eclipsed $100,000 in purse winnings for the year in 34 races. Last year he reached that number in the last week of July in race number 54..