Didn't get to see the whole race because im working but that final lap was off the hook... Between Whittaker, Wight, Bellinger, Forward, Davis and lap traffic was thick. Wight pulled a move going into 4 that was perfect. From the ramp where im standing, it looked like he parted the sea and slid right threw... Wish i could of seen all the previous action in more depth. Had to be fun watching that group race.....

The entire race was good, but the last 5 laps or so were excellent.  The track was really good (fast) after the rain delay.  Well worth the wait.

It was a wild and crazy great race, We made a beeline with Oswego getting done early and got to see  both Sportsman features, the exciting Mods and the Rookies. You can watch it later this week on Raceflix.com once we get it posted or buy the DVD next week at the tracks.

Wait a second.... I call BS!!!

It's been said on here 1000 times that only Big Blocks can produce races worth going to. This almost has me believing that top drivers in comparable equipment can produce really good racing.

🤔🤔🤔

I

31 minutes ago, leakin_fluids said:

It's been said on here 1000 times that only Big Blocks can produce races worth going to. This almost has me believing that top drivers in comparable equipment can produce really good racing.

🤔🤔🤔

I call BS too.   I keep hearing how dry slick tracks produce better racing yet they had fast track and it sounds like it was there best race of the year 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Too bad only 89 fans got to see the race Saturday....

Were you there?? 

Nope, I’m hit or miss there, but I have some good friends competing there on saturdays, they not only comment weekly on the crowd but sent a pic of the stands at around 830 Saturday from the pits. 89 people might be a bit high on count. 

• Like 1

I heard the orange 10 sportsman threw a dirty slider on the leader in one of the sportsman races with a few laps to go and made contact with the leader to beat and bang his way to the win? 

Would like to hear thoughts from others who may of seen it as to what happened?

41 minutes ago, 80K said:

I heard the orange 10 sportsman threw a dirty slider on the leader in one of the sportsman races with a few laps to go and made contact with the leader to beat and bang his way to the win? 

Would like to hear thoughts from others who may of seen it as to what happened?

Only 89 fans showed up so you may need to watch the replay.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Nope, I’m hit or miss there, but I have some good friends competing there on saturdays, they not only comment weekly on the crowd but sent a pic of the stands at around 830 Saturday from the pits. 89 people might be a bit high on count. 

Well seeing as I'm there every week I will say it wasnt packed but with the weather forecast for rain it wasnt a terrible crowd. If they took the picture at 830 and there was only 89 people in the stands its probably because it was raining and they went to get shelter. There were definitely more than 89 people there ... 

I’m sure there was more than 89 people there....the picture doesn’t show the complete grand stands.....now with that being said I’ve spent 30 years going to Fulton.....this season I’ve been doing some other things...the crowds are awful compared to Fulton crowds of the past....I know most places struggle to replicate the past but Fulton is beyond bad most nights....I know the ownership, management, and most of the people who work there....I worked there years ago....the pits funds the place....mostly sportsman.....the crowds are noticeably empty most weeks...it’s sad to see...

7 hours ago, leakin_fluids said:

🤔🤔🤔

Fulton has in general had better racing with small blocks. 

• Like 2

Maybe I missed it. But I do not think anyone has ever said small blocks do not put on a good races.  At any track.  I have seen good races and bad races in all divisions.

What has been said by some, is that if tracks got rid of the big blocks , fans would not be able to tell the difference.  That is where the BS comes in

• Like 1

Big Blocks are a dieing breed. The sooner everyone accepts that and moves on the NE DIRT Mod community as a whole can work in earnest on building up a premier small block class. Or as in the way of the STSS just a mod class with several engine packages such as BB and SB's of nearly any size. Its common sense really that this is the way it should be. Theres no need for 3 mod classes. Should just be the 602's and then modifieds. There is none, absolutely zero difference in the quality of racing between the two classes. 

Brewerton is only drawing about 18 mods a week and nearly half of them are SB's. Only a handful of tracks that still run them weekly. Meanwhile the car counts in the SB class keep growing and growing. 

Canandaigua started the year around 23 or 24 and now I think they are down to about 20 or less most weeks.

Id like to see big blocks pushed into an actual premier touring division that isn’t run weekly. Small blocks are your top headline class in weekly racing and then the tour(s) can be Big Blocks or the “big” small blocks that seem to be the car of choice on the STSS tour.

The big teams will still be able to field big block cars for the Tour and travel around while also having small blocks on hand to do weekly racing if they would like to. 

Fulton seems to be ahead of the curve with the small block initiative with the car counts growing. But apparently the fans haven’t been, which is certainly a concern. Would love to know more about that. Is it just because the big blocks aren’t there, because it’s basically the same pool of drivers that have always been there.

It seems like Canandaigua has drawn good crowds this year most weeks and I’m guessing a big part of that is the effort that Paul cole and his team have put in.

WUHD, great thoughts but, Personally, I don think a BB series only will work. There is only 12-15 that follow the tour as is. Where would all the other BB's to fill the field come from? If there are no more BB home tracks, guys are not going to keep a BB just for a series. They are going to sell the BB's and buy SB's. 

As for fultons fan count, I've heard this from more people than i can count on all my digits. "I dont want to sit through 4 sportsman features and 10-12 sportsman heats" "I dont want to sit through a whole night of racing where every single car on the track is identical"

Throw into the mix there has been a strong rumor of the crate models being dropped. (yes its also been said they are going nowhere but why would you let that out of the bag prior to season end and kill your own class before you kill it) And sadly, there is absolutely no division that could be brought in that would generate higher car counts than what the crate models currently get.  IMO, I would love to see a 602 or 604 wingless sprint car class developed. (although in retrospect, if crate models cant make it why would crate sprints) Or V8 trucks in the vein of street/pro stocks. I do not believe that by bringing back a street stock, pro stock, 4cyl or mod lites will help counts or fans. the track is just too big for mod lites and 4cyls to put on decent racing. 

As a PS, i am not taking any negative swipes at fulton. Its one of my top 3 favorite tracks and i would love to see full fields and full stands. 

I'll take a swipe at Fulton as with all the sportsman they get and I hear on good source that 10th pays like $70. There cant be a worse payout than that for sportsman and when you get 60 of them youd think the guy who used to complain about big block payout ( then bought 2 tracks and paid the same as what he complained about) would have the decency to pay a decent purse to a class bringing that many cars and pit admissions. And spare me the 'that's his right to pay so little' argument. And I know if the racers wanna race for that then that's their problem.... and I agree but....

3 minutes ago, macho said:

...and I hear on good source that 10th pays like $70. 

Central NY has the lowest sportsman payouts it seems.  Fulton/Brewerton, U-R, even Weedsport.  Genesee, Land of Legends, and I'm sure others at least pay $100 to start weekly.

If 70 sportsman guys continue to show up for 40 bucks to start when tracks pay double.....shame on them and good for John Wight.....the street stock class was always a good draw at Fulton....there were/are a bunch of them that were local racers in the area that no longer race....many possible street stock racers now are sportsman competitors that probably don’t belong in that class as far as having a competitive car, but there is no other class to start in. The late models were never going to work. The cars are far too expensive for what they are paid....it’s literally cheaper to build a competitive 358 car that a good crate latemodel. 

• Like 1

Approximately 70 show up each week for the pay, so i really dont see any issues. are the actual drivers complaining or just others? yes everyone would love to pay more. Its a big, wide racey track. Everyone qualifies and nobody goes home empty handed. To a local driver going to fulton 10-15 mins from home for a guaranteed local pay is more profitable (to an extent) than driving 50 miles for higher pay when that higher pay gets eaten up by a higher fuel bill, plus wear and tear on hauler. 

And who knows, maybe (wild guess here) being a back gate track at this point, maybe thats all they can pay to keep the track afloat. Sure they could bump it up to $100 to start but then your only going to get one feature and send 40+ cars home empty handed? Thats bad for business. Them 40+ cars are only going to keep coming back and not qualifying for how long? maybe a month max. Now you only have 30 showing up instead of 70 a month in. Brewerton and Fulton, despite low pay, hands down have the market cornered on sportsman and by far are the most successful tracks with that class. No track in the whole northeast can come close to that car count in just that class. 

• Like 1

Well yeah, why would they raise the pay when their pits are overflowing?  No reason to.  I was just stating facts earlier.  They have a fun track with lots of room to race and passing is possible.  Until that changes, people are gonna keep showing up to race there regardless of the pay an hour away.

Absolutely correct...doesn’t matter to me how much they pay....sportsman guys just can’t complain about it.....it’s a double edged sword because many fans do not come because of the lack of diversity being presented...now I know a pit pass generates more revenue than a general admission ticket, but sponsors usually do not want to advertise at a track that gets 150 fans versus a track that gets 1000 a week....now John also has that cornered...most track sponsors are connected through gypsum express, which spends so much money with some businesses that they couldn’t afford not to sponsor Fulton or brewerton. John also helps so many other teams that own businesses that they can’t take sponsorship elsewhere either...he has a pretty good racket going even if it doesn’t appear to when you look at the stands.

I totally get the free market society we live in. As I said earlier it's the hypocrisy of him when he used to call out tracks for their low (in his eyes) big block payout.