Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
DowntheBackStretch

Friesen over Sheppard at BAPS

Recommended Posts

I was kind of surprised when I read the quote from MS when he said "We had a pretty good car but the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  He started 12th and finished 2nd after 50 laps. He was right on Friesens bumper on the last restart.  It doesn't seem like the kind of quote I would expect to hear from a driver of his caliber.  A guy with all those wins and everybody talking about him being the greatest and he complains about having to start 12th. Its not like he was starting from the 9th or 10th row.  Maybe he has gotten spoiled from all the time trials and having the luxury of starting in the first couple of rows?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting 12th in a 50 lap race against that competition is pretty tough even for Sheppard. Not to mention abusing your tires to get to the front quickly. Pretty sure hes not spoiled.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few things... 

STSS South does do time trials and he won his heat and redrew poorly.  Just like is possible in SDS

If you have to drive from further back and race hard, you have to use your stuff up more than someone who starts out front.

What else ya got?  Holy s*** folks

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will admit it was definitely a tough field. And sorry, I forgot about the time trials.  I guess maybe it is a really huge difference from his usually Friday and Saturday night track competition. Still, my point being I was a little surprised at his comment considering the caliber of driver he is.  I cant think off the top of my head of other races but he has run against competition like that before and started in the back and ended up with the checkers. Seems like a little bit of an excuse for finishing 2nd to Friesen. It had to be fun to watch him come from 12th to 2nd. I enjoy when those 2 guys start outside the first 4 or 5 rows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think he gave any excuses. Starting 12th put him in a hole he couldn’t climb out of in 50 laps. Every driver that has ever finished 2nd and was interviewed gave a reason why the didn’t win, or what they could have done differently to win. If he said he had a bad tire on, whipped a bar, or blew out a shock, would those not be excuses? They are all reasons including redrawing 12th that someone finishes 2nd instead of winning. Fairly understandable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

I don’t think he gave any excuses. Starting 12th put him in a hole he couldn’t climb out of in 50 laps. Every driver that has ever finished 2nd and was interviewed gave a reason why the didn’t win, or what they could have done differently to win. If he said he had a bad tire on, whipped a bar, or blew out a shock, would those not be excuses? They are all reasons including redrawing 12th that someone finishes 2nd instead of winning. Fairly understandable.

You just identified mechanical breakdowns but MS made mention that too many cars started in front of him. If he were considered a good driver that would be understandable, But he is considered by many to be one of the best ever. I just think his comment didn't sound like something one of the best drivers ever would say. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well....bill belichek is considered possibly the greatest nfl coach to ever live....if he loses next years super bowl by a field goal...after his team turns the ball over 5 times and Tom Brady breaks his leg in the first 2 minutes....he will have an excuse....and they will be viable just like starting 12th with 11 great cars starting in front of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

I was kind of surprised when I read the quote from MS when he said "We had a pretty good car but the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  He started 12th and finished 2nd after 50 laps. He was right on Friesens bumper on the last restart.  It doesn't seem like the kind of quote I would expect to hear from a driver of his caliber.  A guy with all those wins and everybody talking about him being the greatest and he complains about having to start 12th. Its not like he was starting from the 9th or 10th row.  Maybe he has gotten spoiled from all the time trials and having the luxury of starting in the first couple of rows?

He’s absolutely right. He timed well. He won his heat. He had a poor draw. Period. And with the quality of cars it was simply too much ground to make up. Even the best aren’t going to win each race they enter. I don’t get why this is a thing. What am I missing? Were some actually thinking he was going to win every single race? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea why this is a topic....I’m not a Sheppard fan, but it’s getting quite rediculous that people take more opportunities to throw jabs about him, than his super fans take to talk him up....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

 I cant think off the top of my head of other races but he has run against competition like that before and started in the back and ended up with the checkers.

Canandaigua SDS just a couple of weeks ago. Sheppard had a kid draw for him who pulled number 11. He was no better than a 7th place car (admittedly) and was handed the win in a gift wrapped package when McLaughlin took out Rudolph in the last set of turns. Starting position can mean everything.

Announcers are always quick to point out that the great equalizer is lapped traffic. We fans sometime pray for lapped traffic because the pole sitter is gone and the race sucks. And we also pray that the race stays green in those situations because the further into lapped traffic you get, the tougher it is to pass. So we're hoping that the leader runs into 10th through 5th place lapped traffic to slow him down some so that 2nd place can catch up and make things interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if Matt has the excuse of too many cars to pass as to why he didn't win, I guess we should also use the same excuse as to why all his wins over the last few aren't impressive either.

People can't claim him to be the greatest when he seemed to always be starting up front and then use the excuse of having to pass cars as to why he lost.

Can't have it both ways.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is coming from the guy who drew the pole at Rolling Wheels, told them to "Write his name on the check", and proceeded to break in a few laps..... Don't ever want to hear him complain about a redraw. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ManInTheStands said:

This is coming from the guy who drew the pole at Rolling Wheels, told them to "Write his name on the check", and proceeded to break in a few laps..... Don't ever want to hear him complain about a redraw. 

Don't remember that happening but wow that's ballsy. That's right up there with Matt Hasselbeck's 2003 wild card game "we want the ball and we're going to score" quip after they won the coin toss vs. the Packers. He proceeded to throw a pick 6 to give the Packers the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ManInTheStands said:

This is coming from the guy who drew the pole at Rolling Wheels, told them to "Write his name on the check", and proceeded to break in a few laps..... Don't ever want to hear him complain about a redraw. 

Isnt that the kind of stuff that makes it entertaining though? I want more of their personality and less of the nascar " car was great cant thank everyone enough we will come back next time and see what we can do"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Devin Willis said:

Isnt that the kind of stuff that makes it entertaining though? I want more of their personality and less of the nascar " car was great cant thank everyone enough we will come back next time and see what we can do"

Meh...it has been shown time after time that posters on here  really do want bland, colorless NASCAR-type drivers who don't say anything controversial. The Tim Fuller New York shitholes comment was, what, 10 years ago and people on here still get hurt about that. This board lost its mind over Robert Ballou's comment about the surface at Weedsport when USAC was there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Canandaigua SDS just a couple of weeks ago. Sheppard had a kid draw for him who pulled number 11. He was no better than a 7th place car (admittedly) and was handed the win in a gift wrapped package when McLaughlin took out Rudolph in the last set of turns. Starting position can mean everything.

Announcers are always quick to point out that the great equalizer is lapped traffic. We fans sometime pray for lapped traffic because the pole sitter is gone and the race sucks. And we also pray that the race stays green in those situations because the further into lapped traffic you get, the tougher it is to pass. So we're hoping that the leader runs into 10th through 5th place lapped traffic to slow him down some so that 2nd place can catch up and make things interesting.

I agree with you. And Ive accomplished what I was hoping to accomplish... which was to get a lot of responses to my post. It doesn't matter that most of you disagree with me. But why did the redraw do him in? How about the races that go green to checkers with no yellows and the guy starting 6th finishes 2nd?  Does that driver say the redraw kind of did him in? I personally would have rather he said " I wish there were a couple more yellows to bring the leader back to me because I think I would have gotten by him".  In essence he actually said the other guys started in front of me so I wasn't going to win.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole thing as Rpm said is a non topic. First of all Matt didnt cry or complain or make any excuses. He didn't say ' I would of won for sure if I didnt draw 12th'. It is tough for anyone to win in a 50 lap race with quality competition.  Never understood how 'grownups' can hate people so much they barely even know. As I've grown up I can even sort of stomach Brett Hearn:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, macho said:

This whole thing as Rpm said is a non topic. First of all Matt didnt cry or complain or make any excuses. He didn't say ' I would of won for sure if I didnt draw 12th'. It is tough for anyone to win in a 50 lap race with quality competition.  Never understood how 'grownups' can hate people so much they barely even know. As I've grown up I can even sort of stomach Brett Hearn:)

He said "the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  Never heard Barefoot Bob or Jumpin Jack or Brett Hearn put it that way.  The Great Ones never phrased it like that. It just struck me as odd to hear MS make that statement. To me, it would have been totally different if he said we gave it everything we had but it turned out to be too much to start 12th with the caliber of drivers I had to pass to get to the front.  I guess it was his choice of words that got my attention.  I could never imagine hearing Bob McCreadie say "the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  He makes it sound like he was starting 22nd instead of 12th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

He said "the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  Never heard Barefoot Bob or Jumpin Jack or Brett Hearn put it that way.  The Great Ones never phrased it like that. It just struck me as odd to hear MS make that statement. To me, it would have been totally different if he said we gave it everything we had but it turned out to be too much to start 12th with the caliber of drivers I had to pass to get to the front.  I guess it was his choice of words that got my attention.  I could never imagine hearing Bob McCreadie say "the redraw kind of did us in tonight".  He makes it sound like he was starting 22nd instead of 12th.

So are you saying you’ve never heard Brett Hearn make an excuse for losing a race? Uhh..um..uh. How long have you been going to the races?

Brett has won more races than any other. To his credit! Which means more times than any other driver, he hasn’t needed to be complimentary to his competition for losing. Perhaps by his nature or on purpose not to admit the competition is better? Some of the all time greats in other sports are like that. But he shouldn’t be put in the same class as Bob McCreadie when defining sportsmanship. Actually, many fall short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blowinblackboogers said:

So are you saying you’ve never heard Brett Hearn make an excuse for losing a race? Uhh..um..uh. How long have you been going to the races?

Brett has won more races than any other. To his credit! Which means more times than any other driver, he hasn’t needed to be complimentary to his competition for losing. Perhaps by his nature or on purpose not to admit the competition is better? Some of the all time greats in other sports are like that. But he shouldn’t be put in the same class as Bob McCreadie when defining sportsmanship. Actually, many fall short.

Wake up dude! Stop putting words in my mouth about Brett Hearn! READ!!!!!  Oh no.. Wait just a minute everybody.. I just heard Friesen say tonight... "We started 9th and were screwed from the beginning because of all the great competition and it was only 50 laps. We had to settle for 2nd." Lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Wake up dude! Stop putting words in my mouth about Brett Hearn! READ!!!!!  Oh no.. Wait just a minute everybody.. I just heard Friesen say tonight... "We started 9th and were screwed from the beginning because of all the great competition and it was only 50 laps. We had to settle for 2nd." Lmao.

Where did you hear that tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

This board lost its mind over Robert Ballou's comment about the surface at Weedsport when USAC was there.

It wasn't the surface though. His 1st turn corner entry was all wrong and he stepped on his dick. Then to save himself from having to wipe the egg off his face from flipping in time trials, he blamed the track.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 5:41 AM, BobMiller said:

We fans sometime pray for lapped traffic because the pole sitter is gone and the race sucks.

And we also pray that the race stays green in those situations because the further into lapped traffic you get, the tougher it is to pass.

Who are you? And what have you done with Miller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You take issue with my usage of the word "pray."

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word "pray" as:

1.) To speak to God especially to give thanks or ask for something.
2.) To hope or wish very much for.

Don't expect my Heathen ass to start using footnotes. It's not happening.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×