I am surprised by how many people are saying tracks have never canceled before because of the heat or this is some kind of unprecedented thing. Cancellations because of excessive heat have happened several times in recent years at tracks in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Go outside. It's already hot/muggy as hell outside today and it is not even noon time yet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

And that is the dilemma that promoters are faced with.  You're a big enough fan to come onto a racing message board and post/comment about the races and even you're not interested in going in the heat.

I’m on the fence. The tight grandstands at Malta Friday evening aren’t sounding too pleasant but Saturday is supposed to be worse

8 minutes ago, FightForTheRail said:

I am surprised by how many people are saying tracks have never canceled before because of the heat or this is some kind of unprecedented thing. Cancellations because of excessive heat have happened several times in recent years at tracks in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Go outside. It's already hot/muggy as hell outside today and it is not even noon time yet. 

Not saying it never has happened.  Just do not recall it.  At least not many times if any in NY

I  do go to PA a few times each year.  But I rarely if ever do I travel to NJ or DE.   

I guess i'm still trying to figure out what the fuss is all about.  It's going to be hot and humid.  It's hot and humid from April - November here in Florida and people survive being outside.  Lawns still get mowed, gardeners still garden, tree companies are still out there trimming trees, and roofers are still out there fixing roofs even though its 90+ degrees and humid here every day.

Two weeks ago it was 90+ degrees in Daytona and people still piled into the grandstands for the NASCAR race.

If you're going to be outside drink plenty of water instead of soda/beer.  If you have a medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat and/or humidity, stay inside... You'll survive...  

It's just comical to me that the news is reporting like the sky is falling, when in reality, this is the kind of weather that the southern states get for 3/4 of the year.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

I guess i'm still trying to figure out what the fuss is all about.  It's going to be hot and humid.  It's hot and humid from April - November here in Florida and people survive being outside.  Lawns still get mowed, gardeners still garden, tree companies are still out there trimming trees, and roofers are still out there fixing roofs even though its 90+ degrees and humid here every day.

Two weeks ago it was 90+ degrees in Daytona and people still piled into the grandstands for the NASCAR race.

If you're going to be outside drink plenty of water instead of soda/beer.  If you have a medical condition that is exacerbated by extreme heat and/or humidity, stay inside... You'll survive...  

It's just comical to me that the news is reporting like the sky is falling, when in reality, this is the kind of weather that the southern states get for 3/4 of the year.  

That  is just the flipside of how comical it is when two inches of snow completely paralyzes the south, schools are closed and life grinds to a complete halt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

FondaFan16, my wife made a valid point this morning that i did not consider. "The people of the south are accustomed to the heat. Its built into their lifestyle. As resilient as us northerners are, the heat is not predominately part of our lifestyle." I could not disagree with her. 

I do commend the tracks for cancelling. Shows they do care about their fans and drivers. And i think furthermore shows, its not always about the money. Because you cant make money if your not open.

Me personally, cancelling bums me out from a personal selfish aspect as i wont be able to take in a race in CNY until at least 8/1. (going to sharon and eldora so i'll have my fix) The heat generally doesnt bother me. but the older i get, that cold is awful. A chilly night at the track in October, just isnt for me anymore and i keep an eye on those temps more so than the hot temps. 

• Thanks 1

Truthfully, I think what we are seeing is that some places are just barely covering expenses with the front gate draw and are now forced to consider weather as a factor. It's hard to blame the tracks when the fans don't come in perfect weather...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FondaFan16 said:

It’s all about acclamation. Europe is being hit with sunshine and heat recently. Even we don’t think a few days of 80 and sunny is a big deal. For England it’s really hot

However I do agree the news is over hyping. This happens usually once or twice a year. 

3 minutes ago, 80K said:

FondaFan16, my wife made a valid point this morning that i did not consider. "The people of the south are accustomed to the heat. Its built into their lifestyle. As resilient as us northerners are, the heat is not predominately part of our lifestyle." I could not disagree with her. 

I do commend the tracks for cancelling. Shows they do care about their fans and drivers. And i think furthermore shows, its not always about the money. Because you cant make money if your not open.

Me personally, cancelling bums me out from a personal selfish aspect as i wont be able to take in a race in CNY until at least 8/1. (going to sharon and eldora so i'll have my fix) The heat generally doesnt bother me. but the older i get, that cold is awful. A chilly night at the track in October, just isnt for me anymore and i keep an eye on those temps more so than the hot temps. 

I was just going to bring Eldora up.   The heat better not bother you if you plan on going out there next week.  Probably the hottest I have ever been at a race track was Eldora in July.  And a couple  other shows  I went to in Indiana.  HOTT

Those shows did not get cancelled because the promoter knew there would be asses in the seats

While traveling with the World of Outlaw Late Model series back in the mid 2000's, we did shows at Memphis Motorsports Park and in Pevely, Mo with actual temps of 103 - 105 and a heat index of 108 - 111. I remember setting in car cameras in Clint Smith's car and laying on the deck was like laying in a frying pan. Two of the guys on the crew were sunburned so bad they had huge blisters on their shoulders.

We were in the pits last year at UR when the mercury in my car hit 97* on the way into the track. That sucked. 

Been at Watkins Glen, Lime Rock and E-Town when the temps were all knocking on the door of 100*... All it made me want to do was take a nap it was so damned hot. 

The ventilation in the race cars definitely works. Hose came off our drivers helmet during the last session of testing Sunday and he was a smidge warm getting out where previously he said he was nice and cool. 

I really wanted to go to Lime Rock Saturday for the Sports Cars, but I'm not sitting out there in a field for 10 hours in 95-100* ambient temperatures again. Did that twice there in the past and it really just isn't that much fun. Likewise we thought of going to the Valley but that's just too damned hot to deal with if I don't have to.

All you guys going, drink lots of water and less beer. Be safe. 100*+ heat is nothing to mess with, especially with a humidity level that going to be 90% or so.

Hot as hell and I will be stuck in a gym all weekend for my kids basketball tournament. 

I can say being that hot out I would probably hang out by the pool over going to the races if I was going to be home

Probably be getting afternoon showers and storms as predicted this weekend and tracks will be cancelling anyways ... so canceling because of the heat will be a non issue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

Getting acclimated to the heat is a big deal. When I was racing motocross they hold the biggest amateur event of the year in Tennessee in the summer. The serious kids would go down a month or 2 early and stay down there to get used to the heat becuase they would be drained in 3 or 4 laps when its 110 otherwise. 

I don't think the tracks are saying theres no way we can race this weekend. They're saying it's hot enough that our fan count is going to suffer the drivers who are not acclimated to heat like this, are not training like nascar drivers and are mostly doing this for a hobby are going to be miserable and we will probably loose money on the whole deal. 

FONDA SPEEDWAY ANNOUNCES SCHEDULE CHANGE FOR THIS SATURDAY NIGHT

Racing is ON for this Saturday, July 20 and Recovery Sports Grill & BBL Companies Night at the Track of Champions. Due to the predicted high temperatures, the following schedule adjustments have been announced:

Gates will now open at 5 p.m.

Hot Laps at 6:30 p.m.

Racing at 7:30 p.m.

Additional water stations will be set up around the facility to accommodate those feeling under the weather. As always, thank you for the support and see you at the track!

• Like 1

I'd be curious as to how attendance turns out fan wise at tracks that do run. I know I'm with some on here, I ain't going. I might be in the minority but like some others I don't fare well in the heat anymore. Don't much care for it. Never used to bother me, but I spose atleast for some when you age and stuff starts falling apart that's how it goes!

Land of Legends has announced their intentions to race this weekend as well.  They will have $1 water available per their Facebook page.

• Like 1

USAC has pushed the start times of  of tonight's thru Saturdays sprint races to later in the day. That is an option as well as it appears Fonda got the memo.

7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

Truthfully, I think what we are seeing is that some places are just barely covering expenses with the front gate draw and are now forced to consider weather as a factor. It's hard to blame the tracks when the fans don't come in perfect weather...

Finally somebody agree's with me..I've been saying this exact thing for years

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stewyfan44 said:

Finally somebody agree's with me..I've been saying this exact thing for years

When you have promoters like Paul Cole & Brett Deyo who go the extra mile to make sure the fan base & racers are well taken care of the results are packed grandstands!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, racer80 said:

When you have promoters like Paul Cole & Brett Deyo who go the extra mile to make sure the fan base & racers are well taken care of the results are packed grandstands!

absolutely..but guys like Cole and Deyo seem to b the exception.at my home track of cornwall Ray Lavergne goes the extra mile also.But to be fair I believe these 3 promoters are in a better financial standing then most.

5 hours ago, FondaFan16 said:

Land of Legends has announced their intentions to race this weekend as well.  They will have $1 water available per their Facebook page.

probably run out of water by 8pm lol