Brewerton and Fulton just cancelled this weekend's races due to excessive heat.  I understand the decision, but my question is how often has this happened in the past?  I'm sure it has, but I'm not remembering any.  

Bridgeport, Potomac and Delaware have also cancelled because of the heat.

Utica-Rome raced last year when temps were in the mid 90’s and suffered big time on attendance.

Can’t blame the tracks for not wanting to take the risk.

That being said, I know this week Utica Rome has shifted to a 7pm start time, so a little bit later start should help with keeping fans out of the heat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fulbrew said:

Brewerton and Fulton just cancelled this weekend's races due to excessive heat.  I understand the decision, but my question is how often has this happened in the past?  I'm sure it has, but I'm not remembering any.  

I do not remember any tracks cancelling because it was too hot.

I do remember tracks cancelling because it was too cold.

Question, are there any race tracks south of North Carolina where this is the standard weather every day? If so do they cancel every weekend due to heat?

Definitely the heat is a concern, but why not push start times back an hour as Port Royal did. Both tracks run efficient programs so a late night wouldnt be a concern. 

16 minutes ago, 80K said:

Question, are there any race tracks south of North Carolina where this is the standard weather every day? If so do they cancel every weekend due to heat?

It is common for tracks in the south west/east to have there racing seasons in the winter months.

33 minutes ago, mjbf1 said:

Definitely the heat is a concern, but why not push start times back an hour as Port Royal did. Both tracks run efficient programs so a late night wouldnt be a concern. 

People on here bitch and cry if the races go past 10 now. Imagine the tears if they had to stay an hour later.....

Throw in the part where the moisture would evaporate off by the time hot laps are done, they'd be whining about dust too....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80K said:

No.  And yes, it's above 90 this time of year in NC.    Heck, it might even hit 90 in May.  And October.   

1 hour ago, 80K said:

East Bay here in Tampa typically takes the entire month of July and part of August off. 

Though I think that probably has more to do with the higher likelihood for afternoon/evening thunderstorms, I’m sure the temperatures help sway the decision as well.

Not only is it a safety concern for fans...it’s also a safety concern for the drivers and crews. Think about how hot it gets in those cars and I’m willing to bet very few have the cooling systems if any of the NASCAR drivers. Granted, yes those are much longer races but still...on extremely hot days, it can get to 110-120 degrees inside the cars with no AC. That’s not comfortable for anyone no matter how long you’re in that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

Not only is it a safety concern for fans...it’s also a safety concern for the drivers and crews. Think about how hot it gets in those cars and I’m willing to bet very few have the cooling systems if any of the NASCAR drivers. Granted, yes those are much longer races but still...on extremely hot days, it can get to 110-120 degrees inside the cars with no AC. That’s not comfortable for anyone no matter how long you’re in that.

Drivers may not have the same cooling advantages that the NASCAR guys have, but many do run some form of ventilation into their helmets... How much that actually helps, who knows... Probably not all that much... 

20 minutes ago, Justracing44 said:

honestly I wouldn't go in this heat

And that is the dilemma that promoters are faced with.  You're a big enough fan to come onto a racing message board and post/comment about the races and even you're not interested in going in the heat.

Tracks that run multi divisions should condense their race program by running just features for some of the support classes and starting time pushed back an hour.Most likely you will make the race fans happy and they can get the hell out of there at a decent time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjbf1 said:

Utica-Rome did that... they are starting their program at 7pm this Sunday.

• Like 1

I can tell you from experience that a driver can lose 8-10 lbs of water weight in temps like these. I lost that over the course of a three race weekend. By the time I finished the feature at U-R, I was sick, dehydrated. Almost threw up in the car. It's hell on drivers and crews. Have to be smart as team and a promoter. I don't blame them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

So the all the tracks that do decide they are racing  this weekend.  They are not concerned about fan safety or driver safety? 😯

Lets not put a different spin on this.

It is a business decision and that is ok.  The Wights or any other promoter can run their business any way they want.   But then some bitch about losing races to rain so.......?

We have seen races cancelled because it is too cold out.  Races cancelled because it might maybe rain.  I can not seem to remember races getting cancelled because of the heat before.  But that is fine. It does get hot every July and August.   It is what it is. 

Heck, was it New Egypt that just cancelled a show because they predicted a low car turnout??   It is a business

• Like 1

This type of heat is dangerous and deadly to individuals such as myself with heart conditions and autoimmune diseases. Tracks do not cancel without a damn good reason to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FondaFan16 said:

And that is the dilemma that promoters are faced with.  You're a big enough fan to come onto a racing message board and post/comment about the races and even you're not interested in going in the heat.

Yep. I 100% agree with the cancel decision. 

• Like 1