Sign in to follow this  

Here is a little more of the story.

But the last time the racetrack "closed for good" — as a sign on Route 34 declared during the 2008 closure — it lasted just under a year, still opening in time for the 2009 season.

Since then, the future of the racetrack has been in limbo. Nearly every year, rumors of its demise circulate but the track hasn't made an official announcement of a closure since the brief 2008 closure.

Even more common than the closure rumors are complaints from neighbors about the constant noise emanating from the racetrack. On clear nights, car engines from Wall Stadium can be heard from miles away. 

The "roar at the Shore" isn't just a clever nickname. 

"Try living up the road and feel the vibrations and noise as you try to sit down at your kitchen table on a Saturday to have a meal. Don't even think about listening to music or watching a movie," one neighbor wrote in a letter to the Asbury Park Press in 2009, shortly after racing resumed.

I’ll have to make a trip next year. Historic track, at least they aren’t closing down immediately or at the end of 2019. Gives you a year to give a good send off.

People bitching about racetrack noise one night of the week when Monmouth Airport is right next door.🙄🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I understand that this place has been for sale for awhile and the writing has kind of been on the wall. It just sucks that nobody stepped up to continue to run it as a track. Obviously real estate and development companies have much deeper pockets than most folks looking to buy a race track, as well as the fact that the revenue generated is so much more from development. It just sucks. ANOTHER track lost to urban sprawl. 

For those of us in the Capital Region, I don’t feel that I’m alone when I say that A-S has a target on it, as does every decent sized piece of land in the Clifton Park/Malta area. I’m not saying Howie will sell the place, and I hope like hell that he doesn’t...but EVERYONE has a price. One day the right developer could show up with a check that’s just a little too big to say no to. Don’t think for a second that the town of Malta would fight that sale too much either. 

This one has me sad. First race I ever went to was at Nazareth National. Second place I ever went to was at Flemington. Third race I ever went to was at the Nazareth half mile. Spent a lot of Friday nights at Pine Brook, then as I got older East Windsor. First asphalt track I ever went to was Wall. 

And at the end of next year, they’ll all be history. 

2 hours ago, zmahoney21 said:

I understand that this place has been for sale for awhile and the writing has kind of been on the wall. It just sucks that nobody stepped up to continue to run it as a track. Obviously real estate and development companies have much deeper pockets than most folks looking to buy a race track, as well as the fact that the revenue generated is so much more from development. It just sucks. ANOTHER track lost to urban sprawl. 

For those of us in the Capital Region, I don’t feel that I’m alone when I say that A-S has a target on it, as does every decent sized piece of land in the Clifton Park/Malta area. I’m not saying Howie will sell the place, and I hope like hell that he doesn’t...but EVERYONE has a price. One day the right developer could show up with a check that’s just a little too big to say no to. Don’t think for a second that the town of Malta would fight that sale too much either. 

How many more people do you want to step up & “save” Wall?

I can't go to Wall.

My brother and I used to travel the country knocking off tracks together. He and another TV guy did Frogtown one year when I couldn't go, so he got one up on me. The following year I did Frogtown when he couldn't go, so I evened the score. Then he and the other TV guy did Wall and got one up again. I told him to enjoy it while it lasted because I would get it in some day. He passed away before I could ever get there, so I've decided to let him keep it.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, zmahoney21 said:

One thing I will say as a property owner in Malta is that the large majority of residents support the race track and are against the increased development. The town board on the other hand who knows. 

• Like 3