Just now, Sicklajoie said:

Speedway Illustrated did a cover story on Brett Hearn testing down south to improve his dry slick program with positive results then DNQ'ed at Weedsport.

Your 100% correct.....testing is not the reason why these guys are not still on top....they are past their prime....just like every other sport, with age comes a smaller window for success, and it gets tougher....that’s completely ok and should be expected....it does not diminish the outstanding careers these guys have had or their impact on the sport....

maybe for guys like Steve and Alan....focusing solely on racing is not exactly what they want to do anymore, after spending 40 years doing so.

3 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

the fact that everyone still clamors for guys that haven’t been on top in years is part of the reason the overall popularity of the sport has fallen.

You're painting a pretty broad brush. And even if it was "everyone", it's called human nature. Ever think of changing your screen name to skyisfalling72x??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Slick your 100% right! But let me tell you what most guys will tell you. What works on tracks down South many times does work up North. 

Heres the deal, time trialing is everything. Everybody goes with what they think is their best set up. If your running the SDS you better have a good qualifying package that can put you in the top 3-4 spots. Any farther back if your off your not going to qualify. For 8 laps the cars are pretty equal. The top drivers get better as the race goes on. Many up front starters will fade by 20 laps. 

The problem also with testing early is you don’t now what problems you need to fix. If you worked on forward bite but know your shoving the nose too much you need more data!!

7 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

You're painting a pretty broad brush. And even if it was "everyone", it's called human nature. Ever think of changing your screen name to skyisfalling72x??

That’s a good idea....but no.....human nature should tell you that guys like Brent Wilcox who posted today that his season is over due to engine trouble...and that he is retiring from racing....are just as or at this time more important than Danny losing another ride. He drove for his family for 20 years and is a great person. While he may not have the resume of guys like Danny, he certainly hasn’t had the opportunities either. There are bunches of guys like Brent, they need an opportunity or 2 as well. 

8 minutes ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Slick your 100% right! But let me tell you what most guys will tell you. What works on tracks down South many times does work up North. 

Heres the deal, time trialing is everything. Everybody goes with what they think is their best set up. If your running the SDS you better have a good qualifying package that can put you in the top 3-4 spots. Any farther back if your off your not going to qualify. For 8 laps the cars are pretty equal. The top drivers get better as the race goes on. Many up front starters will fade by 20 laps. 

The problem also with testing early is you don’t know what problems you need to fix. If you worked on forward bite but know your shoving the nose too much you need more data!!

Brett can’t win at Orange County....for 30 years he could mount the lr on the rr and drive with his helmet on backwards there and he was nearly unbeatable. Matt isn’t out renting racetracks all winter....neither is Erick Rudolph....stew is in a pavement truck simulator half the offseason....Matt Williamson is in Canada probably building cars for guys he is beating....i know that some guys do test here and there but when your doing it in another state on racetracks you don’t race at...75% of the info you gain is useless here....volusia is a prime example of that....most guys say if your super fast there in February, you have a lot of work to do if you plan on winning back home....I’ll agree with you that there are some super good teams....I’d say Brett and sweeteners are 2 of them. Diminishing skills are not the only thing that can come from age...lack of focus and desire can come as well....

Rpm 

let me give you and example of why I say the team isn’t as on top of their game as they use to be. Brett the other night comes in for a tire change and the wrap is still on when the rr is already off and it’s time to put the new one on. That would have never happened 10 years ago. As a driver you better have a team behind that’s as hungry to win as you are!!! I was a Mohawk for the smalll block race and after the race Charlie Rudolph was pissed. Not just because they didn’t win but he was made at himself for not having a better set up that could have won the race. Matt S and Randy K,  Stewie and Eric, Eric and Charlie, and Matt W and Randy W !!! In my opinion that’s what separates the top 4. 

A driver can’t see were other cars are always better than they are but a great crew chief can and relay that to the driver and come up with a better set up. With the right crew guys Brett and Danny can become contenders again but probably not as dominate 

The team has a ton to do with it I agree.....but at no point in Brett’s career has his cars been loaded up at his shop without him knowing each and everything about the setup and parts. I doubt that’s different today. It’s fairly common to see him unload out to lunch, he admits it, even at his home tracks. His crew has nothing to do with that. If he were falling out of races because of poor maintenance, I would begin to question his crew. If those failures become common, it’s back in him for not correcting it. 

Danny won series races driving another drivers car, that he sat in for the first time 20 minutes before the green. The team had very little to do with Danny’s success, when he was at or close to his best. He won with bunches of them. They are on the wrong side of their career. Brett is still competitive at his home tracks and some odd races. Danny still makes a run once and awhile...those runs will continue getting shorter and further apart...no matter what team he has. All those guys you mentioned that are at the top of their game, are young and more importantly they are hungry for the success that Brett and Danny once had. 

Rpm 

your missing what I’m saying:) no different then in nascar or woo the driver is the smaller piece to the puzzle than before.Brett when he’s driving the car can’t tell how much his Lr is hicked up compared to others. A driver can’t tell how the guys gaining on them from behind or if their pulling away. Randy Kisacky is watching that car and thinking if I do this it will help us here but may hurt a little there and figure what the best changes are. Trust me Matt Shephard Cherish’s 4 things . His child, his wife, his dog , and Randy Kisacky being in his pit!

Your correct Danny could do that because his talent carried a car . But now there’s 6-10 that have their cars set up close enough that talent can’t over come technology. Lots has changed in 5 years. 

Yes they are younger but I think a lot is taking they are willing to take a chance . The older you get you don’t want to get hurt because let’s face it there are many out of control over aggressive drivers. 

13 hours ago, Grizzley111 said:

Foster is currently strumming up a rebuttal

so the "rebuttal"  poor results = no ride , canada swing was a nightmare, as stewy44 said earlier he was "all over the track" because car lost power steering so good luck trying to keep it straight why dont you give it a shot stewy44, then drive shaft broke in 2 it was only 1 race old and monday night i believe it was #21 ran over his left front shock breaking it , vic expected better results so did everyone else, it is what it is .the phone already is ringing from people with good equipment so not time to hang up helmet yet all you haters keep bashing all you want ,it wont matter he has nothing to prove to any of you couch racers .  peace out..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, foster said:

so the "rebuttal"  poor results = no ride , canada swing was a nightmare, as stewy44 said earlier he was "all over the track" because car lost power steering so good luck trying to keep it straight why dont you give it a shot stewy44, then drive shaft broke in 2 it was only 1 race old and monday night i believe it was #21 ran over his left front shock breaking it , vic expected better results so did everyone else, it is what it is .the phone already is ringing from people with good equipment so not time to hang up helmet yet all you haters keep bashing all you want ,it wont matter he has nothing to prove to any of you couch racers .  peace out..

At least they were organized..

3 minutes ago, Shyglizzy said:

At least they were organized..

you cant "organize" part failures especially when the parts are not old shit happens .

36 minutes ago, foster said:

ya I was at Granby and Drummond, and yep his car was all over the place.But I did'nt say that on here, so maybe get your facts straight.

13 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Wait a minute....I was told the dr. Was easy on equipment and most all owners loved him....

We are all still waiting for your list of all the car owners Danny ran out of the sport. What's the holdup???

I find it extremely odd that while Danny’s phone is ringing off the hook with owners waiting to get him in a ride with great equipment.....his brother, who wins more and breaks less, can’t seem to find a premier ride.

4 minutes ago, macho said:

We are all still waiting for your list of all the car owners Danny ran out of the sport. What's the holdup???

Each week that passes the list of past owner increases....I have a job and a family, so trying to track down reasoning for the latest Danny / owner failure takes time....especially when he is released from his duties every week. 

13 hours ago, rpm72x said:

Brett can’t win at Orange County....for 30 years he could mount the lr on the rr and drive with his helmet on backwards there and he was nearly unbeatable. Matt isn’t out renting racetracks all winter....neither is Erick Rudolph....stew is in a pavement truck simulator half the offseason....Matt Williamson is in Canada probably building cars for guys he is beating....i know that some guys do test here and there but when your doing it in another state on racetracks you don’t race at...75% of the info you gain is useless here....volusia is a prime example of that....most guys say if your super fast there in February, you have a lot of work to do if you plan on winning back home....I’ll agree with you that there are some super good teams....I’d say Brett and sweeteners are 2 of them. Diminishing skills are not the only thing that can come from age...lack of focus and desire can come as well....

Jeez go help Brett out and tell him what hes doing wrong and set up his car for him. I'm sure he'd pay for all your knowledge. He probably has no idea that most of what he thinks hes learning from testing will never help him again and hes better off in a simulator. If I didnt know better I'd think you know more about big block racing than one of the all time greats. Yet here you sit at your keyboard telling everyone what they're doing wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nope I never said what anyone is doing wrong....I said that with age comes a smaller chance of winning...Micheal Jordan didn’t forget how to play basketball, but at the end of his career it looked like he did at times, Peyton Manning was a shell of his former self....Steve kinser struggled his last few seasons compared to the past....Jimmie Johnson looks out to lunch, must be team for him as well.....why is it ok that everywhere else in sports age diminishes skills, but in dirt modifieds the team is always the issue....

and macho I was just busting your balls about our topic from a few weeks ago... your correct Danny hasn’t driven out a bunch of owners....but you have to admit it’s almost comical how many of them he has had..

I'm fairly amused as how much and many are consumed with this topic every time. 

I said it before and I'll say it again, no matter how many rides he has had and lost, he must be doing something right cause he keeps getting them. 

• Thanks 1

I agree he is fun to watch and talk about, Danny is fun to hang with and is always a good time, I think the few that continue to say each ride had something wrong with it, and that Danny holds no fault spur the discussions 

13 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Rpm 

let me give you and example of why I say the team isn’t as on top of their game as they use to be. Brett the other night comes in for a tire change and the wrap is still on when the rr is already off and it’s time to put the new one on. That would have never happened 10 years ago. As a driver you better have a team behind that’s as hungry to win as you are!!! I was a Mohawk for the smalll block race and after the race Charlie Rudolph was pissed. Not just because they didn’t win but he was made at himself for not having a better set up that could have won the race. Matt S and Randy K,  Stewie and Eric, Eric and Charlie, and Matt W and Randy W !!! In my opinion that’s what separates the top 4. 

A driver can’t see were other cars are always better than they are but a great crew chief can and relay that to the driver and come up with a better set up. With the right crew guys Brett and Danny can become contenders again but probably not as dominate 

I am not a Brett fan by any means (can you tell by my name?), but I will say this. For the record this is just my opinion which I am entitled to right? Watching Brett and his crew at OCFS weekly is well..... sad. It is like a monkey effing a football. Just a bunch of guys helping out that don't have much of a clue it seems (as mentioned above about the wrap still on the tire). Almost as if they are on the bandwagon riding the Brett Hearn glory days of the past. It's sad to watch really. Like I said not a fan, but I have a ton of respect for what Brett has accomplished and I hate to see it. As well I hate seeing Danny's career slowly coming to an end. Everyone.... be grateful for what we have witnessed. Danny Johnson, Brett Hearn, Alan Johnson, Jack Johnson, Billy Pauch, Kenny Brightbill just to name a few.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stewyfan44 said:

I'm far from a Danny fan, in saying that, it is sad when it comes to this.Instead of his fans telling him how great he is.Somebody should be telling him, that he was great, and maybe it's time to.pack.it in or just kinda stick to local tracks..The SDSis a young man's game.He had his time, but that ship has sailed.

Danny and the people that decide to give him opportunities are the only people that are allowed to decide when he hangs up his helmet.  

The DTD forum professionals will just have to watch and see what plays out and act like we have some say in the matter. 

• Like 1

Any1, 

i see the same thing at the races I go to:((( I worked for Brett in 1984 and I’ll tell you he’s dedicated!! But I can tell you this Brett needs to hire a leader . Maybe there’s one there but like you said I’m not seeing it. I can remember in 1984 when I went down there in late June he had only 1 win maybe and was behind by quite a bit to Carl Collis . I think we won like 4 out of the next 6 and the track title . Brett has been fortunate over the years to have had great free help. Free help now a days doesn’t have the 30 plus years experience or the never quit til I make it better mentally. When I worked with Doug Hoffman one Eastern States 200 we broke a rear panhard bar. Put a hole in dry sump tank. We made 6 pitstops! I told the guys after we saw what it was get one out of trailer and had Doug go back around so we didn’t lose a lap because back then you couldn’t have a picnic in your pits under yellow for 5 laps then pull back out before green and not lose any laps!:)) so Doug came back in and we got the new panhard on and dumped some oil in. I told the guys to get some brake clean and start cleaning around hole. He went back out again so we didn’t lose a lap. I had the guys make a big square patch out of duct tape and put A tube of silicone in the middle. He came back in we cleaned it and slapped the patch on. He went back out again. We came in and topped oil of and finished 3rd in the 200. Scott got Billy Decker back out the other night at Granby and finished 5th. Dedication like that is lacked on a lot of teams. When I ran the radios for Doug I told him and it held true. No matter how good or bad that cars going we fight til the end with everything we got!! Flat tire we’re fixing it and getting back out to get every spot we can not just saying we’ll call it a night. If we aren’t going good and going backwards let’s come in and try to mak it better. Let’s take a 15th place car and try and make it a top 5. Trust me what Brett May lack in reflects and eye sight to younger guys , I’ll take his mentality in a race car over just about anyone. Right now Brett lacks the confidence he use to have. He just needs to find a combination to get it back going in the right direction.

• Like 2

Eagleone, Awesome post and i fully agree. I recall one year back in early 2000's the sb/bb team i was helping similar story. SDW at the fairgrounds, we knew we had no shot at winning, but we had a shot at the half way leader bonus for the SB race.  I forget but it was a grand or two and knew we could recoup some of the weeks expense. We were on the radios with the driver workin it hard. Fuel became a concern as we hadnt pitted. the race kept hummin along green and everyone started pitting. We stayed out kept at it inherited the lead and collected that bonus. Caution never came out, ran out of gas coming into the pit. I recall the 4 of running the length of pit road, one with ether can to spray the carb to fire and two of us lugging the quick fill fuel cans. My god i wanted to die. I had never carried something so heavy, so awkward, so far, so fast. The best part, once we got fuel in and had trouble getting fired, other crews started jumping over the wall and there had to of been probably 15 people giving this car a running push to fire down pit road. It was just awesome and one of my fondest memories racing. We made it back to our pit and all just collectively collapsed on the ground much to the applause of the crews around us. That was team work. That was never giving up. And most importantly leadership by the car owner to make the decision, execute and direct us crew. We were all fight and so proud of that accomplishment. I dont recall ultimately where we finished but we all had a life long story and bond over that moment. That to us, is and was racing. Wasnt the win, wasnt the finish, was all the moment for what we could do. 

• Like 1

Rpm, 

alan can be just as moody and tell you like it is as Danny!:)) remember he quit the Halmar ride at Syracuse!!!! I bet looking back he might have done differently. Hind sight is never an option you can go back to usually. 

i totally agree that moments like we talked about are more special than wins. It’s about team work. Another thing I hate about 98 % of the teams is there’s no comrodery. If I wasn’t running the radios I’d run over and see if I could help anybody that had a problem during the race. I’m pretty sure that’s how I meet Brett for the first time. It was at Bridgeport Speedway and he was having troubles with something. It may have even been changing the engine. At the time I was helping Barefoot. I had flown down to help Bob but everything was done. Brett had troubles so I went over and helped him and Charlie Langenstein. I got the business from Bobs crew but I didn’t care. The next year I went to work for Brett and Bob crashed in Canada. Didn’t have a spare set of headers that he just crushed. I went and asked Brett if Bob could use them and he said go ahead. I walked over to Bob pit with the headers and they were shocked. I go here you go give them back after the races. That day I think bobs crew guys realized Brett isn’t that bad a guy after all. 

In Woo and Lucas late models and sprints teams help one another all the time change tires and fix car. Modifieds need to take a lesson!:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1