Definitely a sad day.  RIP to that fan.  As a fan I know everytime walking into the track there is the risk of this happening, and knock on wood but it doesn’t happen very often.   My prayers to the fan and to the driver 

There was a close call at Lebanon Valley last week where a couple crew members in the infield were injured by debris flying off a car flipping along the infield pit wall on the backstretch.   I have been kind of surprised that more tracks that have infield pit parking\spectator access don't  have a fence like Eldora.

• Like 2

JMB: Agreed -- all of the tracks with infield pits or  infield spectator areas -- Lincoln, Williams Grove, Port Royal, Hagerstown, Lebanon Valley, Orange County, etc, -- really need to put up catch fences and cables, especially if they run sprint cars. 

• Like 1

More than likely the insurance companies will start to require the tracks to put up more protection for infield fans and participants.

Regarding the "it could happen to at any time",  you just have to try to put yourself in the least vulnerable spot. Up high, not in the turns, etc. I am surprised that people want to view from the infield and in many instances, relatively close to the track.

I've only felt/sensed danger sitting in a grandstand once, under the old covered grandstand at Port Royal.

• Like 3

(Mod Edit) 

Not sure that this is the time, or place to comment about grandstands at a different speedway.  That was not the point of this post.

• Confused 2

I’ve always had fear sitting in turn 4 at fonda with sprint cars.  But I know the risk I’m taking anytime I go to any track really 

Hell, I'm always a little nervous top row of the grandstand at Pocono with the Indycars.

Sit down in T3 at The Grove and first time by there's some pucker factor. 

It's terrible what happened on Friday. No one at a racetrack is immune from the danger. Sadly we get reminded of that from time to time. 

19 hours ago, 22racingteam said:

I’ve always had fear sitting in turn 4 at fonda with sprint cars.  But I know the risk I’m taking anytime I go to any track really 

Couple years back Jeff Trombley went over the fence in 4 and landed on the black top in front of the bleachers. Lucky for sure that nobody was standing there by the fence like they so often do.

• Like 1