Sign in to follow this  
DowntheBackStretch

Erick schools Matt at Land of Legends?

Sounds like an exciting race last night. It appears Erick was a little faster than Matt. And as we have heard many drivers say before, sometimes its better to be in second so you can watch the guy in front of you. Seems like Erick raced behind Matt the entire feature and then made him a sitting duck with one to go. Was that the way it was? I wasn't there but I looked at the Lap Chart and Lap times.  Did Erick set him up perfectly for the pass or did he simply drive by him?

Was an extremely exciting finish to a caution free race. BUT when pushing curfew why didn't management adjust the order of events?? Still run your headline division dead last knowing it would take a small miracle to get it in. Luckily there was one last night. Only one caution (sportsman feature) during the last 4 features. 305's, ESS & big blocks all went caution free. Modified feature was over with 4 minutes to spare. Plus why did the ESS still do the 4 wide thing as well?? No one in charge seemed to care. Maybe the plan was to run past curfew if need be but the way the announcers were acting it didn't seem that way to me. To be fair the order of events was clearly listed on facebook earlier in the day but sometimes common sense needs to prevail. 95% of the people were there to see the ESS & Modifieds and they were the last 2 features run. Luckily this isn't my weekly track. Hopefully these truthful negative comments don't cause a mad exodus in the weeks to come and they have to shut the track down because of me and the power I wield with my keyboard.  

5 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

Sounds like an exciting race last night. It appears Erick was a little faster than Matt. And as we have heard many drivers say before, sometimes its better to be in second so you can watch the guy in front of you. Seems like Erick raced behind Matt the entire feature and then made him a sitting duck with one to go. Was that the way it was? I wasn't there but I looked at the Lap Chart and Lap times.  Did Erick set him up perfectly for the pass or did he simply drive by him?

I just hope Matt doesnt use that old excuse of starting position again.

4 hours ago, happyracer said:

Was an extremely exciting finish to a caution free race. BUT when pushing curfew why didn't management adjust the order of events?? Still run your headline division dead last knowing it would take a small miracle to get it in. Luckily there was one last night. Only one caution (sportsman feature) during the last 4 features. 305's, ESS & big blocks all went caution free. Modified feature was over with 4 minutes to spare. Plus why did the ESS still do the 4 wide thing as well?? No one in charge seemed to care. Maybe the plan was to run past curfew if need be but the way the announcers were acting it didn't seem that way to me. To be fair the order of events was clearly listed on facebook earlier in the day but sometimes common sense needs to prevail. 95% of the people were there to see the ESS & Modifieds and they were the last 2 features run. Luckily this isn't my weekly track. Hopefully these truthful negative comments don't cause a mad exodus in the weeks to come and they have to shut the track down because of me and the power I wield with my keyboard.  

Kind of cool to get negative feedback for getting a great field of races in before 11pm.  Thanks!!

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Keep up the great work Paul. I enjoy every visit I make out to Canandaigua & have a good time. It's the 3 1/2 ride out there that sucks. Wish it was closer. I'd be there every week!! 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, happyracer said:

Be careful

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DowntheBackStretch said:

10 reply's and no one answered the original question .  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

No question Erick was just a little bit faster. Same situation tonight at Utica. Sheppard caught Erick, chased him for some 15 laps,  just couldn't find a way to get his nose in front.  Erick and the barn are hitting on all cylinders, perfect time of the year to be on top of your game. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

I know. Kind of funny I ask a legit question and nobody gives me their  opinion on the  last couple of laps.

17 hours ago, Paul Cole said:

Kind of cool to get negative feedback for getting a great field of races in before 11pm.  Thanks!!

just gotta let the birds chirp sometimes :)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, robertmorris said:

No question Erick was just a little bit faster. Same situation tonight at Utica. Sheppard caught Erick, chased him for some 15 laps,  just couldn't find a way to get his nose in front.  Erick and the barn are hitting on all cylinders, perfect time of the year to be on top of your game. 

#25 is at this time is  better on ice then #9...I've watched several shows live and goes back to 2018 We had wet weather early and on a track with bite MS is gone when it goes to ice not as dominate some track operators i'm sure know this and decide what is on Menu  this week .....Tracks are drying out so coils are coming on and #25 has it figured out at this time ....IF SDS races this week are ICE  you can expect #25 to be near front If tracks have bite like Granby  #9 will be tough ......Look at Weedsport last race all agreed great track and #9 was gone Race there early this year ICE # 25 wins ......MS is still in hunt on any surface and #25 is strong anywhere also but better on ICE ......UR had sprint race month ago and they were raving on track surface so it is possible to have that surface weekly .......

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, old racer said:

#25 is at this time is  better on ice then #9...I've watched several shows live and goes back to 2018 We had wet weather early and on a track with bite MS is gone when it goes to ice not as dominate some track operators i'm sure know this and decide what is on Menu  this week .....Tracks are drying out so coils are coming on and #25 has it figured out at this time ....IF SDS races this week are ICE  you can expect #25 to be near front If tracks have bite like Granby  #9 will be tough ......Look at Weedsport last race all agreed great track and #9 was gone Race there early this year ICE # 25 wins ......MS is still in hunt on any surface and #25 is strong anywhere also but better on ICE ......UR had sprint race month ago and they were raving on track surface so it is possible to have that surface weekly .......

I guess you make a good observation and very hard to dispute. I would ask one question that's been bouncing around in my head all day. It's pretty much understood that UR is very slick during these late summer weeks. Why would the Rudolph barn choose to run a big block on that type of surface and take the chance of being out in left field?

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, Gevo`s Rears & Gears said:

I'll play...

Rudolph struggled early to find speed. To his advantage, he could watch Matt run his lines and use others to try and reel him in. Rudolph found that he was quicker using the top of 1 and 2 a the middle of turn 4 and ran him down. On the last lap, a lapped car played into the pass for the lead in turn 2. The lapped car was where Matt wanted to be and lower than where Erick wanted to be. Both cleared the lapped car ok, but it allowed Erick to get a better run down the back stretch.

happyracer…

Contrary to popular belief, I don't bounce people for speaking out about the track - providing that they don't go overboard with it and can discipline themselves from pounding the track into the ground every time there is a Canandaigua thread.  A few people here seem to thrive on that.

I sat in the stands Saturday night for the first time since 1989. I was forced to give up my position on the roof because of a medical issue and I am in the hospital now as I write this. I had absolutely no contact with management all night, but I sat in the stands with an understanding of the decisions that were made and why.

I agree - ESS could have forgone the 4 wide salute, but that's also part of their show. It didn't bother me either way because I have seen enough races there to know what a caution free track looks like. They got their feature in and it was a quick show. The Modified Feature was also quick, as were the Sportsman and 305's.

I don't find wrong in a track throwing the dice and getting all of the racing program in without unnecessary downtime, so I get seen as being as being overprotective. That's not being overprotective, it's acknowledging that they got the show in as promised. They had obligations to sponsors for the bike race, it wasn't unnecessary downtime.

• Like 3

Hope you get past what ails you bob and back behind the camera. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, old racer said:

Rudolph 20.7 secs and Matt 20.9 secs at Utica Rome. You been in racing a long time and I have only watched for just as long. But do you think those times at UR should be referenced as "on ice"? I don't think they should. So I say Erick was simply better than Matt again on a track that wasn't what should be called "ice".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BobMiller said:

I'll play...

Rudolph struggled early to find speed. To his advantage, he could watch Matt run his lines and use others to try and reel him in. Rudolph found that he was quicker using the top of 1 and 2 a the middle of turn 4 and ran him down. On the last lap, a lapped car played into the pass for the lead in turn 2. The lapped car was where Matt wanted to be and lower than where Erick wanted to be. Both cleared the lapped car ok, but it allowed Erick to get a better run down the back stretch.

happyracer…

Contrary to popular belief, I don't bounce people for speaking out about the track - providing that they don't go overboard with it and can discipline themselves from pounding the track into the ground every time there is a Canandaigua thread.  A few people here seem to thrive on that.

I sat in the stands Saturday night for the first time since 1989. I was forced to give up my position on the roof because of a medical issue and I am in the hospital now as I write this. I had absolutely no contact with management all night, but I sat in the stands with an understanding of the decisions that were made and why.

I agree - ESS could have forgone the 4 wide salute, but that's also part of their show. It didn't bother me either way because I have seen enough races there to know what a caution free track looks like. They got their feature in and it was a quick show. The Modified Feature was also quick, as were the Sportsman and 305's.

I don't find wrong in a track throwing the dice and getting all of the racing program in without unnecessary downtime, so I get seen as being as being overprotective. That's not being overprotective, it's acknowledging that they got the show in as promised. They had obligations to sponsors for the bike race, it wasn't unnecessary downtime.

Thanks for playing! I finally know what happened.

• Like 1

Jeez, This guy beats Matt a couple times and people are going crazy. Get real. The best always get beat, they can't win them all.

4 hours ago, old racer said:

While I agree that Erick has slick tracks as his "bread and butter". I disagree strongly with Matt not liking them as much.

Heavy tracks cater to all drivers. Hammer down and go. All drivers are fast on a heavy track. Matt is still just as fast as he was last year on the slick tracks. The only difference being that this year Erick is faster. Matt still beats them all, except one. Matt was the guy to beat the last few years on "ice" while the others struggled.

Erick is not the most exciting to watch. Watching him, he's so smooth that he almost looks slow, yet there he is passing cars on his way to the front. Lap after lap, never a mistake,  never jumping the cushion. 

8 minutes ago, Pinesol said:

Jeez, This guy beats Matt a couple times and people are going crazy. Get real. The best always get beat, they can't win them all.

9 minutes ago, Pinesol said:

What the hell are you talking about? Going crazy? You had better lay down and take a nap. You must be exhausted. I asked how the race played out. Lol.  Finally Bob MIller told me. Lol.

8 minutes ago, leakin_fluids said:

While I agree that Erick has slick tracks as his "bread and butter". I disagree strongly with Matt not liking them as much.

Heavy tracks cater to all drivers. Hammer down and go. All drivers are fast on a heavy track. Matt is still just as fast as he was last year on the slick tracks. The only difference being that this year Erick is faster. Matt still beats them all, except one. Matt was the guy to beat the last few years on "ice" while the others struggled.

Erick is not the most exciting to watch. Watching him, he's so smooth that he almost looks slow, yet there he is passing cars on his way to the front. Lap after lap, never a mistake,  never jumping the cushion. 

You don't win all those races by not being fast on a slick track. He makes it sound like Matt struggles on dry slick tracks. I don't believe that to be the case.