Guess I have been naive about the SDS engine rule. I asked a Rudolph crew member last night what size engine they had in the car , he said they are forced to run a big block if they follow the tour.  This morning I read on here Mahaney got half points for running a 358 engine.   If a racer uses a smaller less expensive engine he or she gets penalized ?

Seems ass backwards to me.

Keeps costs down for the teams following the tour so they aren't forced to have both a BB and SB ready to go if one works better at a track vs the other. The high dollar teams in theory would be switching back and forth and the lower ones wouldn't have the money to do so.

Judging by the top 10 last night, the SB wasn't much of a disadvantage. Erick said himself that he likely wouldn't have won if Gary didn't catch lapped traffic battling for position.

On a side note, can someone get Gary Lindberg a quality BB ride for next season, Susice too please... 😃 

• Like 6

One modified series only is needed. Combine the two and be done with it already. Modifieds and sportsman is all thats needed. Pick your weapon of choice and run it. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, racermurray said:

Guess I have been naive about the SDS engine rule. I asked a Rudolph crew member last night what size engine they had in the car , he said they are forced to run a big block if they follow the tour.  This morning I read on here Mahaney got half points for running a 358 engine.   If a racer uses a smaller less expensive engine he or she gets penalized ?

how is it ridiculous? this is the super dirt series for big block modifieds, there's times when a sb is at an advantage on certain tracks. you want to run sb there's a series for that too, do they allow a bb to step down into the sb series and run? the rules are perfectly fine the way they are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it's not a ridiculous rule at all.  it's a big block series.  the guys following the tour and competing for points all need to be running the same thing.  running a different engine should be penalized exactly as they have it by awarding only 1/2 points.

• Like 2

This only really matters at a few tracks anyway...and that's kind of the point.  If you're signing up to run a big block series, you should expect to only need a big block...not 3 different engine combos that you'll have to change depending on the night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, racermurray said:

Seems like the rule functions as intended. They want big blocks on the big block tour. Having less power is an advantage when the track is a skating rink. Weighing less is an advantage. They dont want guys bring multiple motor combinations and choosing what one to run

• Like 2

If this is the case, when the sds goes to tracks like black rock the open small blocks that race there weekly should be allowed to compete at 1/2 the points and just weigh the same as a big block....

1 hour ago, Devin Willis said:

Seems like the rule functions as intended. They want big blocks on the big block tour. Having less power is an advantage when the track is a skating rink. Weighing less is an advantage. They dont want guys bring multiple motor combinations and choosing what one to run

Actually, the solution is, no skating rinks!    😀

• Like 7

Just now, chas71 said:

Maybe but there are a lot of tracks in ny that don't have much between wide open everyone in a line heavy and skating rinks. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Devin Willis said:

Penalizing one or more different engine combinations makes no sense when they are all listed on the competitor notes for each event with weight breaks for various combinations already factored in.  Having a big block only tour might sound good in theory but most of the SDS teams have 358's in there stables anyway making the cost saving factor null and void. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, racermurray said:

Penalizing one or more different engine combinations makes no sense when they are all listed on the competitor notes for each event with weight breaks for various combinations already factored in.  Having a big block only tour might sound good in theory but most of the SDS teams have 358's in there stables anyway making the cost saving factor null and void. 

That's not totally true. Sure most of the big teams could afford or already have a smallblock but that's up to them. If they were allowed to run them for points you need 3 to 4 cars ready to go at all times and you would be bringing 2+ to the track depending on what tracks you're going to. This rule is mostly for the "smaller" teams following the series. No point on even showing up to some of the races with a big block if Sheppard rudolph and Williamson have a smallblock at them. 

• Like 1

Mahaney has had multiple issues with his big blocks this year. I believe at this moment their big block inventory is depleted. This rule allows him to continue to compete in the series so I think it's a good idea.

1 hour ago, Sicklajoie said:

Mahaney has had multiple issues with his big blocks this year. I believe at this moment their big block inventory is depleted. This rule allows him to continue to compete in the series so I think it's a good idea.

Exactly or the series would be down another platinum driver. 

Can anyone tell me when exactly what year the SB Modified class actually started in the Northeast?

At one time Ransomville Merrittville Humberstone were all Big Block tracks, (using these three as example) then they switched to Small Block and Humberstone eventually Stopped running Modifieds.

5 hours ago, chas71 said:

No thanks, I like the guys with the skill/throttle control to have the best outcome. Not just the guy with the most hp.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Can anyone tell me when exactly what year the SB Modified class actually started in the Northeast?

At one time Ransomville Merrittville Humberstone were all Big Block tracks, (using these three as example) then they switched to Small Block and Humberstone eventually Stopped running Modifieds.

Didn't CJ Richards & Albany-Saratoga/Malta always tout itself as the birthplace of the 358 Modifieds?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Racerfan2003 said:

Grandview has run small blocks as the headline division since they opened 57 years ago. A better question would be when did the big blocks first become the headline division.

Those saying it's a big block series and they signed up for a big block race is BS when they force the regulars to show up with show up points to get a full field. Get rid of show up points and see how many guys with the W16 would of stayed home when they made the weigh 50lbs more then the big block.

• Thanks 1

Growing up in the Southern Tier, I didn’t even know big blocks were a thing until the early 2000s. I only knew of small blocks from Woodhull and Black Rock/Dundee.

10 hours ago, In the Shadows said:

Didn't CJ Richards & Albany-Saratoga/Malta always tout itself as the birthplace of the 358 Modifieds?

Yes, before it was the 320s, they were run at Dundee/Woodhull, up here in the North Country and Orange County and most of the Jersey tracks called them the "Sportsman" class; I know Grandview, Big Diamond and Penn National were always a "small block" motor type of class, but not sure what the rules were back in the day.

CJ brought in the 358 motor in 1984 I believe as a local option in the 320 class (I remember a big stink when E.C. Champagne did really well in a long-distance event at Cornwall and got DQd because his "DIRT motor" was legal at Airborne but not at Cornwall because only the CVRA tracks allowed that as an option). As the 320s priced themselves out (lots of reliability issues they were so wound up), eventually DIRT adopted the 358 rule. 

Then in 1985, CJ went independent and formed the CVRA with the 358 motors as the headline class. Great car counts, great racing, but the fans in the Capital District were really slow to come around to the idea and wanted big blocks so the crowds were only okay. The program did work though, CJ made it because he was no longer paying a big block purse.

1 hour ago, MSenecal26s said:

The engine rule in discussion is exactly what lured Ryan Godown from the STSS to the SDS this season. 

How is that working out?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, leroy said:

How is that working out?

Probably pretty good. I dont think they expected to show up and race on Hoosiers at tracks they had never been to before against guys with years of expirience there and win right off. 

• Like 5