The nurse told me that the chicken incident was a woman with a strange case of Tourettes. If she had awaken me with a cussword tirade, I probably would have laughed my ass off. The crowing thing wasn't funny.

cleo....

I feel better today than I did any of the 16 days I spent combined in either of the 2 hospitals. I am walking stable and without the need of my cane, although it is nearby. I am not ready to run the Boston Marathon yet, but I think I could walk the length of the driveway to get the mail. Later this week I might try that. 

As it stands right now, I am taking all kinds of oral meds, and shooting myself up with a potent antibiotic through a PICC line and I have a visiting nurse. I have lost 28 pounds since I first was admitted to the hospital. And for the first time in about 8 months, I can sleep laying down without feeling like I'm suffocating..

This situation didn't happen overnight and I don't expect it to go away overnight either. But I really want to work The World Finals because I need that money for winter firewood. I need to be well enough for that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

The nurse told me that the chicken incident was a woman with a strange case of Tourettes. If she had awaken me with a cussword tirade, I probably would have laughed my ass off. The crowing thing wasn't funny.

cleo....

I feel better today than I did any of the 16 days I spent combined in either of the 2 hospitals. I am walking stable and without the need of my cane, although it is nearby. I am not ready to run the Boston Marathon yet, but I think I could walk the length of the driveway to get the mail. Later this week I might try that. 

As it stands right now, I am taking all kinds of oral meds, and shooting myself up with a potent antibiotic through a PICC line and I have a visiting nurse. I have lost 28 pounds since I first was admitted to the hospital. And for the first time in about 8 months, I can sleep laying down without feeling like I'm suffocating..

This situation didn't happen overnight and I don't expect it to go away overnight either. But I really want to work The World Finals because I need that money for winter firewood. I need to be well enough for that.

So happy to hear of the ongoing improvements...and that you recognize that it will not be an overnight recovery...while it is good to have goals (the World Finals) and I do hope that you make that one... please do not overdo so that all the hard work is undone health wise. Good on the weight loss (not the reason for it but the result is a gift) being able to sleep properly must be wonderful....now..maintain that loss :) . Thanks for keeping us informed ….I will nag you if you do not....have a good day.. :sungum:

Keep fighting the good fight Bob!

Bob, the last time I saw you, you were waving to the camera on the floracing channel from atop the tower of Canadaguia Speedway during a SDS race. I figured they just left your ass up there? But I guess it’s true, you haven’t been your nimble self in a while. So hope you get well soon and climb back up on that roof top!

OK..so it has been a week and time for my nagging for an update from you to kick in Bob....I did warn you :) .... here is hoping that you are improving daily.... give us a wave eh :welcome:

At the risk of not wanting to speak for Bob.

Bob was at the Land of Legends Raceway spectating on 8/31.  He was also there watching  on 8/10.

I did not go Land of Legends on the 17th or 24th.

Update...

I am doing EVERYTHING the doctors have told me to do, right down to the finest detail. This includes using an oxygen generator when I sleep. I am walking as much as I can stand so that I don't have to go through a lengthy rehab process to get strength back in my legs. You'd be surprised how quickly muscle tone and flexibility goes away when you are basically laid up in bed for a month and the only walking you do is to go to the bathroom.

Last Friday I climbed the stairs to the tower at Dundee and sat in the announcers booth all night. Going up the stairs was a challenge because the strength in my legs has been compromised in a big way. The drugs I am on all make me pee every 20 minutes, so I made close to a dozen trips to the bathroom. By the end of the night, I was walking pretty good.

Another small victory came at Canandaigua this past Saturday when I climbed the stairs to the tower. I sat in a chair outside the tower in my old perch with my legs elevated on the railing. It was actually quite cozy. The previous 2 weeks I sat in my mother's van in turn 1. We all have our favorite places to sit and mine is on the judges tower. Several trips up and down the tower to pee got my legs loosened up. Felt good to be back on the tower.

Weedsport on Monday was the biggest challenge. I sat in the production truck all night with my feet propped up on a camera case. It was the walk from the production truck to the concession stands and back that got me. To an able bodied person, that distance isn't all that far. But for someone like me, it was a long way without a place to sit or rest. I got lucky when I went and didn't run into 300 people I knew that wanted to stop me and ask how I was doing. I had to stop in front of the band on the way there and I went non stop the whole way back. And that's my limit right now... however long it is from the production truck outside turn 1 to the concession stand in turn 4. That's as far as I can go without stopping.

This PICC line is a complete pain in the ass. For those unfamiliar what a PICC line is, it is an IV line that goes into a main artery in your right arm and can be used to draw blood, or to inject medicine from the same spot. But here is the thing... a tube runs through that artery all the way to your heart. This antibiotic I am on is a 20ml syringe that screws into the PICC line. I have to use a stop watch when I inject it at no more than 4 ml per minute only or risk giving myself a heart attack. I have to do this every 12 hours. Also, there are pills I take every morning. High Blood Pressure meds, an assistant to the high blood pressure meds, Lasix to pee and Florestore to keep the good bacteria in my digestive system up to snuff.

On top of that, the antibiotic is so strong that it causes Thrush. Antibiotics kill bacteria. Some bacterias are good, such as the ones in your mouth. Thrush is not enough good bacteria in your mouth and everything tastes like shit. This is the second time I am dealing with Thrush. Everything tastes either extremely salty or sour. The medicine they gave me to combat the Thrush tastes nasty too. I'll skip the part about male yeast infections, but read on...

Now for the worst part of the whole ordeal. I can go a single day without taking a shower, depending on how much I sweat that day. I have had just 3 showers since July 31st because this PICC line can not get wet. It's been sponge baths only and although I know I am clean, it's not the comfort you get from taking a shower. Of the 3 showers I have taken, all 3 were with the PICC line wrapped securely with Glad Cling Wrap and leaked every time. I am just finishing week number 2 of this crap with 2 more weeks to go.

And all of this just because my legs were swollen enough that I can't get compression socks on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good to hear bob that without knowing how to say it correctly but it sounds as thou you are atleast doing ok. And you sound as thou you still have a touch of humor in you( yeast thing). Keep doing what you doing!

Just speaking the truth from experience.

I believe you. Maybe humor wernt right word. Don't any part of what you have wrote with what you been thru sounds any sort of enjoyable at all. 

Sitting further away from the bathroom is a good exercise program. It provides extra motivation to keep going.  I mean moving. Besides every time you pee you get a little better health wise.

The sponge baths,  have your girlfriend give you one and then you give her one.  I think that would make them more bearable. 

• Like 1

Sending positive thoughts  for your healing to continue and your resolve to remain strong.....you have been/are going through a lot and with good care and good luck it will all be a bad memory soon. Thanks for the detailed update Bob. 

• Like 2