Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts


54 minutes ago, racermurray said:

Not a rumor per AARN page 5

Hey ... you're ruining our flow ...

Sanchelli Vanilli

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the real slim shady please stand up...…..

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering if all these years Mike has been working at OCFS practicing to be a politician?:)) mike is definitely not perfect but his heart is into racing. Just need to find where the balance point is of things you can let him do is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Name game fun aside, as I stated in the other thread, this was a perfect storm of bad judgement and bad decisions...and it's unfortunate for all involved.

Based on what's been reported/discussed...the only viable option (hindsight here) IMO would have been to literally 'wipe out' the first 12 laps, allow ALL teams to work on their cars, and restart from the beginning once the track was ready after the rain.

In situations like this, you'll NEVER please everyone and someone's going to feel like they got screwed...you do the best you can, but once you make and announce a decision, you can't really 'take it back'.  That would be like announcing a race is cancelled because it's raining...but it stops 30 minutes later and you come out and say 'well, it's not raining, we're back on'...not gonna work.

Again, IMO...a Race Director needs to have control over a situation...and no decision should be announced unless everyone involved is on the same page...I don't know the circumstances in this case and I'm certainly not throwing shade at anyone, just stating what should be obvious based on experience.

Let's look forward...who will take the reins now and what level of authority/accountability will that person have?  How will decisions made affect upcoming events, including Eastern States Weekend?  What happens long term, going into 2020 and beyond?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallguy said:

Name game fun aside, as I stated in the other thread, this was a perfect storm of bad judgement and bad decisions...and it's unfortunate for all involved.

Based on what's been reported/discussed...the only viable option (hindsight here) IMO would have been to literally 'wipe out' the first 12 laps, allow ALL teams to work on their cars, and restart from the beginning once the track was ready after the rain.

In situations like this, you'll NEVER please everyone and someone's going to feel like they got screwed...you do the best you can, but once you make and announce a decision, you can't really 'take it back'.  That would be like announcing a race is cancelled because it's raining...but it stops 30 minutes later and you come out and say 'well, it's not raining, we're back on'...not gonna work.

Again, IMO...a Race Director needs to have control over a situation...and no decision should be announced unless everyone involved is on the same page...I don't know the circumstances in this case and I'm certainly not throwing shade at anyone, just stating what should be obvious based on experience.

Let's look forward...who will take the reins now and what level of authority/accountability will that person have?  How will decisions made affect upcoming events, including Eastern States Weekend?  What happens long term, going into 2020 and beyond?

Paul...I would allow all teams to work on their cars and remain in the position they were in a lap prior to the incident. That way you're not penalizing a team that moved up in those 12 laps. In my opinion that would've been the only fair thing to do once you allow teams to make repairs and still retain their spots.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scott Friers said:

Paul...I would allow all teams to work on their cars and remain in the position they were in a lap prior to the incident. That way you're not penalizing a team that moved up in those 12 laps. In my opinion that would've been the only fair thing to do once you allow teams to make repairs and still retain their spots.

Scott....that's IF they only repair what is damaged by the accident....I was told that some even changed headers that were undamaged looking for an advantage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smallguy said:

Based on what's been reported/discussed...the only viable option (hindsight here) IMO would have been to literally 'wipe out' the first 12 laps, allow ALL teams to work on their cars, and restart from the beginning once the track was ready after the rain.

That's exactly what I thought they should do. But I also realize that you and I have the luxury of hindsight and don't have 40 race teams and 4000 fans breathing down our necks for an instant solution.

I agree 100% about overriding Sanchelli's decision. If you have hired someone to make these decisions, you should stand behind them. Part of good leadership is picking the right person for the job and trusting their judgement.  Sanchelli's decision pissed off a few people. Okay. deal with it.

Gurda's decision seems to have pissed off the world.

I don't know Gurda or Sanchelli, and I don't have a horse in this race, but I've seen similar situations played out before ... the race director taking the fall for the promoter's bad judgement.

If I was Gurda, I'd make a series of public apologies to everyone ... drivers, fans, owners ... whoever  ... meet privately with Matt and anyone else who was directly affected to work out something that they can all live with ... and simply accept the blame for the debacle.
 

20 minutes ago, Scott Friers said:

Paul...I would allow all teams to work on their cars and remain in the position they were in a lap prior to the incident. That way you're not penalizing a team that moved up in those 12 laps. In my opinion that would've been the only fair thing to do once you allow teams to make repairs and still retain their spots.


That would probably have been the most fair solution.  There would still be unhappy people, but there'd be less of them than there is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, racer80 said:

Scott....that's IF they only repair what is damaged by the accident....I was told that some even changed headers that were undamaged looking for an advantage

If they are legal headers, what's the difference? They still have to pass tech at the end, and everyone else had the same opportunity to switch headers. If they didn't have the other headers with them, they wouldn't have been able to start the race with them either ... so it's moot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GasketCase said:

If they are legal headers, what's the difference? They still have to pass tech at the end, and everyone else had the same opportunity to switch headers. If they didn't have the other headers with them, they wouldn't have been able to start the race with them either ... so it's moot.

 

My point is: How would it be fair if someone involved in the wreck changed shocks, torsion bars, gears or ANYTHING not damaged in the lap 12 wreck to improve performance & then go back to their spot?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, racer80 said:

My point is: How would it be fair if someone involved in the wreck changed shocks, torsion bars, gears or ANYTHING not damaged in the lap 12 wreck to improve performance & then go back to their spot?

Revert to the lap before the rain. Let everyone work on anything

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Devin Willis said:

Revert to the lap before the rain. Let everyone work on anything

Exactly what I said..... Once the decision was made to allow those involved in the accident to work on their cars and retain their position; the only fair thing was to allow ALL drivers to work on their cars. That way there is no unfair advantage given to the teams who were in the accident and granted the opportunity to work on their cars. They tried to make amends for their mistake and it made things worse. Like gasket said some would still be unhappy but it seems that would've been the fair thing to do.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Devin and those who say revert to the previous lap, anyone can work on anything while the red is out.

The thing is, this was not a "racing accident" -- it was an accident caused by the track not throwing the caution because it was raining. Look at the video -- it was a skating rink. It was not driver skill that determined if you were in the accident, it was where you were on the track. That's not fair.

So go back a lap, fix your cars and go racing. Make a call and stick with it. Once the race official has announced the decision, it is binding -- you can't go back and penalize guys after the fact after you have told them it was okay and they wouldn't be penalized -- that is just nonsense.

As a track owner, if you disagree with the race director's announced call,  if you can't IMMEDIATELY reverse it, you grit your teeth and let it stand for that event, have a meeting and announced a revised policy after the fact. That is the only fair way to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were no cars behind pit wall that werent in that wreck. All others were on pit road.  Had they not allowed cars to fuel during that time the race would have been dramatically different.  And Yes Suitcase Quit. I dont blame him 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll never please everyone no matter what you do. Just for grins if memory serves me Ransomville restarted from the previous lap before the rains when they had their issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


















×