Sign in to follow this  
GasketCase

Shepard Banned From OCFS For Remainder of 2019

6 hours ago, racer80 said:

I don't think they can ban him from a STSS series race....John Wight was not legally able to stop him from running SDS at his tracks

They can ban him from whatever they want. It's their track. 

Also, I don't believe OC has clarified what "not welcomed back" means. 2019, forever, who knows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rmitchell said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't blame the rain as the main factor as much as I am wondering where or when the yellow came out or when the call came on the radio?

I will blame the first few cars on the rain but the last few cars were still coming in hot. 

As bad as the red flag and working on cars, and giving cars on pit road a chance to top off there tanks, I was watching Pauchrs daughter video today and she mentioned that drivers maybe allowed to use back up car. 

• Like 1

They wanted to make this an event to remember. Well.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, no rain said:

As bad as the red flag and working on cars, and giving cars on pit road a chance to top off there tanks, I was watching Pauchrs daughter video today and she mentioned that drivers maybe allowed to use back up car. 

and keep their spot in line too!  😄😂

30 minutes ago, chas71 said:

They can ban him from whatever they want. It's their track. 

Also, I don't believe OC has clarified what "not welcomed back" means. 2019, forever, who knows.

I think as a full-time racer, the "right to work" statute applies here

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, racer80 said:

I think as a full-time racer, the "right to work" statute applies here

Employment laws regarding right to work do not apply to independent contractors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

while there was a lot that could and did go wrong there's a few things not being pointed out. the group I was with looked at the radar prior to the race and it wasn't supposed to hit at that time, was looking to be in the clear or at least maybe halfway point of race at worst case. it was a few drops/sprinkles when they started, I was out in the open on the backstretch and could feel it. lastly the announcer kept saying to get lining up for close to 20 mins or more and no one moved from their haulers to get lined up, so yes they knew it was coming but not a single car moved for quite some time after about 3-4 times of them announcing to get lined up

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, leakin_fluids said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I don't blame the rain as the main factor as much as I am wondering where or when the yellow came out or when the call came on the radio?

I will blame the first few cars on the rain but the last few cars were still coming in hot. 

The last cars "coming in hot", in my opinion, was because they couldn't stop or steer clear of it. My kid who started 33rd, and is usually adept at avoiding trouble, came into the 1st turn and was one of the last cars into the mess. I was shocked that it appeared he made no effort to avoid the wreck and headed straight toward it. Only then did I realize it was raining.

• Like 1

Whether they attempted to screw Matt Sheppard or not....whether they were right or wrong....Matt’s outburst is one of the very reasons I’m not a huge Matt fan.....he is supremely talented and I have the upmost respect for him as a wheelman, but Brett hearn, billy decker, Alan Johnson, jack johnson, Steve Paine, Kenny Tremont would not have that type of tantrum in that public of a setting. Bob mccreadie would have said his peace, calmly told them get my check ready and went out and put on a clinic winning after feeling screwed....or he simply would have loaded up and left. No live feed meltdown.....I personally seen Brett hearn go ballistic on Glenn, in the dirt office at Weedsport for a call made at a racetrack. Nobody but those involved knew about it, because he had an image and a brand he wanted to protect. None of those guys I stated would have had the tantrum in victory lane when Danny beat them at Weedsport....none of those guys would of wrecked and went after another driver on the racetrack just because they weren’t going as good as they thought they should be. Being considered the best is not , imo , just based on statistics....there is a level of professionalism that must be met as well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Whether they attempted to screw Matt Sheppard or not....whether they were right or wrong....Matt’s outburst is one of the very reasons I’m not a huge Matt fan.....he is supremely talented and I have the upmost respect for him as a wheelman, but Brett hearn, billy decker, Alan Johnson, jack johnson, Steve Paine, Kenny Tremont would not have that type of tantrum in that public of a setting. Bob mccreadie would have said his peace, calmly told them get my check ready and went out and put on a clinic winning after feeling screwed....or he simply would have loaded up and left. No live feed meltdown.....I personally seen Brett hearn go ballistic on Glenn, in the dirt office at Weedsport for a call made at a racetrack. Nobody but those involved knew about it, because he had an image and a brand he wanted to protect. None of those guys I stated would have had the tantrum in victory lane when Danny beat them at Weedsport....none of those guys would of wrecked and went after another driver on the racetrack just because they weren’t going as good as they thought they should be. Being considered the best is not , imo , just based on statistics....there is a level of professionalism that must be met as well. 

You are very niave if you think those guys didn't all throw tantrums like that back in the day. The difference is there weren't cameras in everyone's hands capturing it all 

• Like 9

No they didn’t....that tantrum was child like....the one on victory hill was worse imo....the fight with Larry was rediculous....and piss poor to watch....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

No they didn’t....that tantrum was child like....the one on victory hill was worse imo....the fight with Larry was rediculous....and piss poor to watch....

How long you been going in the pits involved with a race team? If you have been going for any significant amount of time you would have seen all of those drivers act childish at some point in their careers. I'm not saying what Matt did was right wrong or indifferent, but all drivers loose their shit at some point. It's the adrenaline and desire to win. Seen it many times from lots of the driver's you listed. Not as many cameras back then and no social media so the incidents get lost to memory. Those guys were/are all legends, but they were by no means perfect, just human. Believe what you want. Not a huge Sheppard fan myself either.

19 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

Does Hearn throwing stuff at DJ count?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GasketCase said:

I was floating in the middle of my lake in June. There was no chance of rain and nothing on the radar. Within 5 minutes, a small grey cloud turned into a large black cloud and burst into a torrential downpour. A half hour later, the sky was blue, the clouds were white, and it was as if it never rained. ... You can't always go by the radar.

This line of showers was coming.

1 hour ago, leakin_fluids said:

Once it started to downpour, there is absolutely NO way of stopping.  I witnessed a very similar event on a Friday the 13th at Ransomville...notice the 72 who was just about the last car to get to Turn 1, sliding down the track like he was on a sheet of ice.  That rain came down HARD like a switch was flipped.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Williams said:

Does Hearn throwing stuff at DJ count?

I have no problem with a driver losing their shit when they have good reason....not getting your way isn’t exactly the same thing....getting beat , not the same thing....not winning when you feel you should, not the same thing....Saturday night went from voicing displeasure to full blown tantrum. If he was on the other side of that decision, he would have been losing his mind that they were giving guys there spots back, but yet says he’s very disappointed in the other drivers that had a problem with a completely stupid initial decision.

• Like 1

I see in AARN where Larsen says the drivers bullied Sanchelli and should have been professional and not ask to work on their cars.

Maybe a more "professional" way of handling this would have been for all the impacted drivers to pull out on the track bumper-to-bumper side-by-side and then sit on their roofs and not say anything.

"You wanted a protest!? Well now you got 'em four abreast!" 😂

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

I have no problem with a driver losing their shit when they have good reason....not getting your way isn’t exactly the same thing....getting beat , not the same thing....not winning when you feel you should, not the same thing....Saturday night went from voicing displeasure to full blown tantrum. If he was on the other side of that decision, he would have been losing his mind that they were giving guys there spots back, but yet says he’s very disappointed in the other drivers that had a problem with a completely stupid initial decision.

You might have felt that it was a completely stupid decision, but you know what? They made it. It was stated by numerous officials numerous times that it was ok. Then it was reversed. Don't blame the drivers for their reactions. They got screwed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a Race Fan, i was always under the impression, you wreck and go to pits, you go tail. You dont wreck and go to pits, you go tail. Reguardless of what a official says. 

Im sure someone will give me plenty of examples in history where this impression i have is wrong.... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, inthecuse said:

I see in AARN where Larsen says the drivers bullied Sanchelli and should have been professional and not ask to work on their cars.

That's ridiculous. The call was made right away, before all the cars were stopped and drivers were still in their cars. You put the guy in charge, he made a decision. You stick by and support your employees. If you don't agree with what they did you address it after the fact in private so they understand what you want them to do next time.

1 hour ago, racefan11 said:

Once it started to downpour, there is absolutely NO way of stopping.  I witnessed a very similar event on a Friday the 13th at Ransomville...notice the 72 who was just about the last car to get to Turn 1, sliding down the track like he was on a sheet of ice.  That rain came down HARD like a switch was flipped.  

Except it was raining while they were racing up to the wreck. Sure the hard stuff just started but racing in the rain for any amount of time is stupid for this exact reason

Rpm are you even reading what your typing??? No reason for losing it?? Let me see you are told by The Tracks Official, It’s announced over the Track PA, and it’s stated so on the Tracks Live Broadcast that drivers can work on their cars and they get their spots back. Oh wait we changed our minds or one of the tracks sponsors that has a car running up front complained so forget what we said your going to the back. I can’t see why anyone would be upset for having to start in the back of the pack and possibly get caught up in another accident instead of starting in the top 5!! Not sure whose butt your trying to kiss but your not very honest!!

So let’s say you work on a production line and get paid by the piece. You did your part of the job right but someone else messed it up before the part got finished. The foreman says it was a mistake on our part because the machine was malfunctioning. You guys will still get credit and get paid. Owner says your not. You wouldn’t be mad??

Drivers are responsible for the crews correct? Why shouldn’t Tracks be accountable for decisions that Their Officials Selected By Them Make??? Next it looked like mr Gurda came down to pit lane? So Matt didn’t go storming up to the tower or out on the track and make a scene , he expressed his displeasure with him right there on pit lane. And there was other just not as vocal. What did Mr Gurda expect these guys to do after reversing something that was told to them by The Tracks Official??? Hey, it’s ok we don’t mind going to the back and by the way want to come over for Thanksgiving dinner???:) 

If the Track sticks to what was told to drivers and announced the confrontation never happens.  Am I wrong?

Chris Larsen has pumped a lot of money into racing! And I for one want to thank you !! And I’m sure he didn’t like looking like the Captain on a ship of inexperienced workers. Why start a race when everyone has a radar pic with rain that close?? If the yellow is thrown for your spinning car you should go to the rear. Guy running 3 at Volusia spun , did a 360 , and keep going but because the caution was iniatiated because of him spinning he went to the rear Saturday night. The best thing Chris can do is clean house of the people in charge at OCFS right now! Hire Brett Hearn to run the place and let him run it and not micro manage!! And lastly instead of Stewie running OCFS rent him and Ixfinity ride . Owners cars running at their own tracks is controversy just waiting to happen weather there is merit to it or not!

If Matt is banned the true losers are the fans and the track! The fans don’t get to see one of the greatest drivers of all time race and if the track loses say 300 people at $100 that’s $30,000 plus all the bad press . 

And yes I am a Matt Shephard fan:) But I’m also a Matt Williamson, Brett Hearn, Danny Johnson, Marc Johnson and about 200 other drivers fan. I’m a race fan and I’m not looking for some phony put on act . Matt takes his racing seriously. That’s why he has over 30 wins! Tonight I was watching race monitor hoping Lance Willix pulled off the win at airborne. 

But to think you have the right to suspend somebody because they screamed at you after you started the race when you shouldn’t have then tell them one thing and change your mind sounds wrong. In life if we make mistakes that costs others we better expect to hear about our mistakes. 

And before someone says I’m hiding behind a screen name, 

David Surace

By the way, Chris thank you for trying to put on what should have been a race that would be remembered in history of dirt racing. Hopefully things can get worked out . And I think a big part of it has to come from the track admitting and becoming accountable for the mistakes that were made. 

• Like 2