I’d like to address the incident with Matt Sheppard and clarify the position of OCFS. At this time Matt Sheppard’s privileges to race at OCFS are suspended indefinitely.

I take full responsibility for fully enforcing the existing rules at OCFS and over riding Mike Sanchelli’s verbal instructions and for suspending Matt Sheppard. 

There are many factors that led to these decisions, however at no time did anyone act with malice or not have fans, drivers and the tracks best interests. 

The start of racing was advertised at 5:30 for hot laps. However it was determined based on the previous two nights that starting closer to sundown would result in better track conditions and racing. Time trials, qualifying heats and consolations resulted in over 100 laps of racing and further track preparation and watering was necessary before starting the centennial race. At that time the chance of no rain was 50% and we were cognizant of complaints about dust. OCFS adjusted the schedule adapting to track conditions in the best interest of the fans and competitors to have a track surface worthy of a race that occurs once in a lifetime. The race took 1:45 minutes. So it’s highly unlikely that the sudden down burst that occurred wouldn’t have happened anyway towards the end of the race with similar effects if we indeed just stuck to the schedule.

At the time of starting the centennial race a higher probability of rain was forecasted. OCFS was faced with the option of starting the race and hoping the showers passed or cancelling for the night. It was determined that if we raced and re-sealed the track and rain started we could yellow/red flag and still recover the track but if we didn’t start and it rained we probably couldn’t recover the track and we’d have to postpone to Sunday. At that time Sunday’s forecast was 90% rain between 2:00pm and 6:00pm and more than likely the event would be cancelled. Bearing in mind the safety of the competitors and fans and cognizant that many fans travelled from far away to attend a historic event we optimistically proceeded with the event. Everyone did their best to make good decisions in a bad situation and only a Monday morning quarterback makes the right decision every time, in this case it was damned if you do - damned if you don’t. I can only imagine the reaction if we canceled.

Soon after the start it was not raining, sprinkling, misty depending on where you were or your interpretation of moisture. A lightning strike was detected 8 miles away and in accordance with safety protocols the camera men were removed from the man lifts. Moments later a sudden downpour hit the western end of the track resulting in the infamous accident involving about 20% of the field of cars. The Race director, flagger and cornermen are all very experienced and competent race officials. At no time would they race under dangerous conditions. The flagger and race director do not need confirmation from anyone to throw a caution light. Obviously the suddenness of the downpour caught everyone by surprise. The fact that 80% of the field was unaffected is a tribute to their quick action.

I think Michael Sanchelli has done a good job at OCFS. He has never spoken a malicious word about any competitor and truly performs his job to the best of his ability always. He owns what he does and in the world I come from that means a lot. I believe his intentions are good. However at OCFS the race director does not have the authority to change the rules. Our rules are very clear that you cannot work on your car on the track during a red flag and if you pull into the pits you lose your spot. I acknowledge Sanchelli’s verbal directions but they were a mistake in direct contradiction of the rules. When I became aware of the situation I immediately ordered that Sanchelli’s mistake be corrected. Regardless of the consequences I believe a known mistake should be corrected and I have no problem owning this decision. Everyone that started the race were equally exposed to the weather and downburst. Everyone was allowed to refuel before restarting. Everyone ran 12 laps packing the track and caution laps counted. Everyone was level with fuel. Enforcing the rules is the only way everyone is treated fairly regardless of luck. I can only imagine the outcry if Mat Williamson ran out of fuel and a car that was worked on behind the wall won or if a backup car won. 99% of drivers expressed their concerns respectfully albeit passionately but in the end there was no way of avoiding some being happy and some not. Mike Sanchelli offered his resignation and I accepted it on the spot. I wish Mike good luck on his future endeavors and thank him for all his hard work at OCFS.

Matt Sheppard’s Racing privileges are suspended at OCFS. His actions put me in an untenable position. I understand where he was coming from and respect his passion but his language and level of disrespect to Mike Gurda was unacceptable. This level of behavior was not displayed by any other competitor and will never be tolerated at OCFS. I know Matt feels bad about his language and has apologized to his fans and I hope in the future we can find a way for him to have a choice to compete at OCFS.

Mike Gurda displayed great composure rectifying the Race Directors mistake. He would have been in his rights to immediately suspend Sheppard. 

Mike inherited a situation from the previous promoter that left the track without any capital improvements made in years and drastic decline in attendance. The fact he has kept this place going astounds me. Mike works hard, long hours and has my full confidence. With Mike as General Manager OCFS has the highest car counts, annual attendance and biggest races in the Northeast. I doubt anyone from the past could be as effective as they were or as Mike is in today’s market. I can’t thank Mike enough for the job he’s done.

The biggest bias Halmar Racing gets at OCFS is first dibs on parking in the pits. Anyone that actually watched the race realized the late caution caused when Friesen hit the wall took away any chances he had to win. Jerry Enright Who does a fantastic job clearly saw how hard Friesen hit the wall and anticipated the car bouncing into traffic and instinctively threw the yellow. However Friesen kept control despite hitting hard enough to bend his front axle and drove on. All the yellow did for Friesen is take away his momentum and put Matt Sheppard on his bumper. Stewart Friesen and for that matter any of the top drivers don’t need help from anyone. They win because they work hard on their cars and they have talent. Anyone suggesting any driver wins because of track bias insults every driver. No driver has ever complained that OCFS is biased to Halmar Racing Team Driver’s, and I’m very proud of the professionalism and integrity of my race team. If someone wants to question my integrity than man up and do it to my face and be ready to stand your ground.

Anyone that buys a ticket to OCFS is entitled to their opinion. No one is entitled to slander someone else without consequences. No one that watches from across the street or up on a hill or that doesn’t even attend is irrelevant. What you post you own, and the language and content is usually a reflection of yourself. Vulgar and petty comments are ignored but constructive comments are welcome.

In my world you say what you mean and do what you say. You’re respected by what you accomplish. Im very proud of what I and everyone at OCFS has accomplished. See you at the races

-Chris Larsen

• Like 6

How much time passed from when the drivers were told they could work on their cars and retain their position to when they said they would have to go to the rear of the field?

We're race teams and fans made aware of the schedule changes for Saturday?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott Friers said:

How much time passed from when the drivers were told they could work on their cars and retain their position to when they said they would have to go to the rear of the field?

We're race teams and fans made aware of the schedule changes for Saturday?

No we were not informed of schedule changes as we sat in our seats wondering what was going on , very unprofessional and disrespectful .

Sounds like a good spin piece.

Is there any video of the rain caused accident, I haven't seen it?  I wasn't there so I wont comment further.

At the end of the day, you have to applaud them for putting on an event with this type of purse.  It doesn't sound like it will happen again with a quote like "once in a lifetime event"  I quickly added up Saturdays purse and it was something like 248k.  Add in Thursday and Friday there was some serious money put up by OCS for this event.

20 minutes ago, csg said:

Is there any video of the rain caused accident, I haven't seen it?  I wasn't there so I wont comment further.

At the end of the day, you have to applaud them for putting on an event with this type of purse.  It doesn't sound like it will happen again with a quote like "once in a lifetime event"  I quickly added up Saturdays purse and it was something like 248k.  Add in Thursday and Friday there was some serious money put up by OCS for this event.

I think what Chris meant was since it was a "Centennial" race that's usually a once in a lifetime event for most people

I believe this thing was done as a literal one time only deal. 

I'm going to refrain from saying what I really think since the internet sleuth's might level some sort of draconian penalty upon me for potty mouth and hurt feelings. Regardless, everything I really wanted to say about Gurda, Larsen and OCFS are in the other threads on this topic.

2 hours ago, csg said:

If anyone hasn’t watched the OCFS Centennial documentary episode 10 on YouTube I’d advise you to watch it. I posted it on another thread. It has footage of the cars piling up when the rain hit, Sheppard’s tirade, interview with Gurda and Sheppard, Hearn and others about the contradictory announcements post accident, Friesen’s hitting the wall on lap 157 and even footage of a member of the Behrents team complaining about Friesen not going to the rear after bringing out the caution,

3 hours ago, B-Train said:

If anyone hasn’t watched the OCFS Centennial documentary episode 10 on YouTube I’d advise you to watch it.

Thank you for mentioning it again. I missed the first time you did. It was worth watching. Lots of things got lost because of the chaos surrounding the big race.  Will, Buzzie, and Gary pacing the field. How do you top that?

Mr Larsen you mention how experienced your flag men are and they dont need help on when to throw a yellow but in fact they did screw up. It's ok to admit that. And Stew is a favorite of mine but that 'yellow' did NOT take away any chance Stew had of winning the race. The 'yellow' was his only chance of winning because he lost so much ground to Williamson his only way to have a chance was a yellow to put him side by side one more time. When you make outrageous statements I dont think it helps your cause. But thanks for at least trying to clarify the situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, J. Downing said:

I’d like to address the incident with Matt Sheppard and clarify the position of OCFS. At this time Matt Sheppard’s privileges to race at OCFS are suspended indefinitely.

I take full responsibility for fully enforcing the existing rules at OCFS and over riding Mike Sanchelli’s verbal instructions and for suspending Matt Sheppard. 

There are many factors that led to these decisions, however at no time did anyone act with malice or not have fans, drivers and the tracks best interests. 

The start of racing was advertised at 5:30 for hot laps. However it was determined based on the previous two nights that starting closer to sundown would result in better track conditions and racing. Time trials, qualifying heats and consolations resulted in over 100 laps of racing and further track preparation and watering was necessary before starting the centennial race. At that time the chance of no rain was 50% and we were cognizant of complaints about dust. OCFS adjusted the schedule adapting to track conditions in the best interest of the fans and competitors to have a track surface worthy of a race that occurs once in a lifetime. The race took 1:45 minutes. So it’s highly unlikely that the sudden down burst that occurred wouldn’t have happened anyway towards the end of the race with similar effects if we indeed just stuck to the schedule.

At the time of starting the centennial race a higher probability of rain was forecasted. OCFS was faced with the option of starting the race and hoping the showers passed or cancelling for the night. It was determined that if we raced and re-sealed the track and rain started we could yellow/red flag and still recover the track but if we didn’t start and it rained we probably couldn’t recover the track and we’d have to postpone to Sunday. At that time Sunday’s forecast was 90% rain between 2:00pm and 6:00pm and more than likely the event would be cancelled. Bearing in mind the safety of the competitors and fans and cognizant that many fans travelled from far away to attend a historic event we optimistically proceeded with the event. Everyone did their best to make good decisions in a bad situation and only a Monday morning quarterback makes the right decision every time, in this case it was damned if you do - damned if you don’t. I can only imagine the reaction if we canceled.

Soon after the start it was not raining, sprinkling, misty depending on where you were or your interpretation of moisture. A lightning strike was detected 8 miles away and in accordance with safety protocols the camera men were removed from the man lifts. Moments later a sudden downpour hit the western end of the track resulting in the infamous accident involving about 20% of the field of cars. The Race director, flagger and cornermen are all very experienced and competent race officials. At no time would they race under dangerous conditions. The flagger and race director do not need confirmation from anyone to throw a caution light. Obviously the suddenness of the downpour caught everyone by surprise. The fact that 80% of the field was unaffected is a tribute to their quick action.

I think Michael Sanchelli has done a good job at OCFS. He has never spoken a malicious word about any competitor and truly performs his job to the best of his ability always. He owns what he does and in the world I come from that means a lot. I believe his intentions are good. However at OCFS the race director does not have the authority to change the rules. Our rules are very clear that you cannot work on your car on the track during a red flag and if you pull into the pits you lose your spot. I acknowledge Sanchelli’s verbal directions but they were a mistake in direct contradiction of the rules. When I became aware of the situation I immediately ordered that Sanchelli’s mistake be corrected. Regardless of the consequences I believe a known mistake should be corrected and I have no problem owning this decision. Everyone that started the race were equally exposed to the weather and downburst. Everyone was allowed to refuel before restarting. Everyone ran 12 laps packing the track and caution laps counted. Everyone was level with fuel. Enforcing the rules is the only way everyone is treated fairly regardless of luck. I can only imagine the outcry if Mat Williamson ran out of fuel and a car that was worked on behind the wall won or if a backup car won. 99% of drivers expressed their concerns respectfully albeit passionately but in the end there was no way of avoiding some being happy and some not. Mike Sanchelli offered his resignation and I accepted it on the spot. I wish Mike good luck on his future endeavors and thank him for all his hard work at OCFS.

Matt Sheppard’s Racing privileges are suspended at OCFS. His actions put me in an untenable position. I understand where he was coming from and respect his passion but his language and level of disrespect to Mike Gurda was unacceptable. This level of behavior was not displayed by any other competitor and will never be tolerated at OCFS. I know Matt feels bad about his language and has apologized to his fans and I hope in the future we can find a way for him to have a choice to compete at OCFS.

Mike Gurda displayed great composure rectifying the Race Directors mistake. He would have been in his rights to immediately suspend Sheppard. 

Mike inherited a situation from the previous promoter that left the track without any capital improvements made in years and drastic decline in attendance. The fact he has kept this place going astounds me. Mike works hard, long hours and has my full confidence. With Mike as General Manager OCFS has the highest car counts, annual attendance and biggest races in the Northeast. I doubt anyone from the past could be as effective as they were or as Mike is in today’s market. I can’t thank Mike enough for the job he’s done.

The biggest bias Halmar Racing gets at OCFS is first dibs on parking in the pits. Anyone that actually watched the race realized the late caution caused when Friesen hit the wall took away any chances he had to win. Jerry Enright Who does a fantastic job clearly saw how hard Friesen hit the wall and anticipated the car bouncing into traffic and instinctively threw the yellow. However Friesen kept control despite hitting hard enough to bend his front axle and drove on. All the yellow did for Friesen is take away his momentum and put Matt Sheppard on his bumper. Stewart Friesen and for that matter any of the top drivers don’t need help from anyone. They win because they work hard on their cars and they have talent. Anyone suggesting any driver wins because of track bias insults every driver. No driver has ever complained that OCFS is biased to Halmar Racing Team Driver’s, and I’m very proud of the professionalism and integrity of my race team. If someone wants to question my integrity than man up and do it to my face and be ready to stand your ground.

Anyone that buys a ticket to OCFS is entitled to their opinion. No one is entitled to slander someone else without consequences. No one that watches from across the street or up on a hill or that doesn’t even attend is irrelevant. What you post you own, and the language and content is usually a reflection of yourself. Vulgar and petty comments are ignored but constructive comments are welcome.

In my world you say what you mean and do what you say. You’re respected by what you accomplish. Im very proud of what I and everyone at OCFS has accomplished. See you at the races

-Chris Larsen

So MS is suspended for his language meanwhile the very person who has issued this suspension also goes on to say that if anyone cares to question his integrity than to man up and do it to his face and be prepared to stand their ground.....

This folks is the very definition of irony 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, csg said:

Yep all that money was like waving red flag in front of biggest bull with horns around .......This guy spends money like no one seen in my lifetime in Northeast .....Just remember 1 thing Everything was fine until he admits he over ruled his own people .....He owns it , and owns what came next ...yesterday is gone richest person on earth  can't  bring it back ....He has best competent people around but every track in America you bring out caution waved by great flagger you stand by that man also , don't over rule him ....If leading race by half a track leader spins out 2... 360's but no other cars involved and field has not caught does he keep lead ? Or go to back ? After caution waves for this .  IDK if he says you keep lead I guess it's Gospel......This is I guess is  a highly educated business man who builds America and an old fool like me I guess can't question his moves or motives ....If he says its so I guess it is .....Sheppard pulled $47,000 out'a this mans business in 4 races .....Call it a year and move on ....1 thing I would like people to read is Ken Bruce's August 19th DTD article POST  IT....If I knew how I would , older fella says there's 3 sides to most stories ......yours , there's and the truth......On to HC's MR DIRT .....he will have to try hard to out do this drama.....

8 hours ago, racermurray said:

No we were not informed of schedule changes as we sat in our seats wondering what was going on , very unprofessional and disrespectful .

Can you image going to a Yankees game thinking the game was going to start at 1pm but they change that to 4pm without informing anyone prior to or while sitting there waiting for the game to start? I'd be pissed as all heck and never go back. 

• Like 1

Ya ok so they made a decision to start later but did they tell anyone? And he said the rules are the rules and that's it. Except when the yellow flies for one of his cars then you keep your spot??? Where is that rule? Fans dont like anyone coming off holier than thou but then contradicting themself.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, happyracer said:

Can you image going to a Yankees game thinking the game was going to start at 1pm but they change that to 4pm without informing anyone prior to or while sitting there waiting for the game to start? I'd be pissed as all heck and never go back. 

If your policy is never to go back to a racetrack that deviates from their own schedule or starts late, you will find yourself without a lot of options to attend. Just sayin'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It was determined that if we raced and re-sealed the track and rain started we could yellow/red flag and still recover the track but if we didn’t start and it rained we probably couldn’t recover the track and we’d have to postpone to Sunday.

I call BS on this one. Re-seal the track? From what? The 5ft next to the wall that he lightly touched up? The track had been raced on all day and only the very top MIGHT not have been sealed. Like csg said, a good spin piece.

Larsen hasn't addressed why the racing program starts late almost every saturday night, not just Centennial weekend.  sprinkles of rain were hitting the track about the same time the green was dropped...i was there.  so Mike Gurda's feeling were hurt...big deal...how many $60k + race cars were tore up that night?  Was Matt out of line for getting upset....yeah probably..so what? Looks to me like this is a big smokescreen to keep Matt from winning Halmar cash...eliminating the 9s increases the odds in Stewies favor.  Larsen oughta invite all parties involved to the 31st lap for a few brewskis and get over this.  This isvone thing i dislke most about ocfs....way too much drama and not enough racing.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

If your policy is never to go back to a racetrack that deviates from their own schedule or starts late, you will find yourself without a lot of options to attend. Just sayin'.

I believe happyracers point refers to the fact the stands were filled with spectators for the scheduled 5:00 start time for Time trials . At 6:30 we were all still sitting there waiting and not one word was said over the PA system that there was going to be a delay/schedule change.

Your correct that many times race tracks have delays but all tracks I have been to other than OCFS have the courtesy to keep the fans informed/updated ........ Not a very good way to introduce new fans to there facility.

I backed Matt's position that it was totally unfair to tell drivers they could work on their cars without penalty; I absolutely think he was out of line in how he handled it, but I can't blame him for losing his mind. You can't change a decision 30-45 minutes after the fact and then decide to penalize people after you are told you wouldn't be penalized.

I believe telling the drivers they could work on their cars without penalty was the RIGHT call under the circumstances -- the accident was not a racing accident, it was a direct result of continuing to run the race while it was raining. The video clearly shows the the track was a skating rink and it was not the drivers' fault that they could not control their cars. The call was as close to a "make good" as the track officials under the circumstances. I absolutely believe it was the only right and fair call -- the fair call was to let everyone go to the pits and work on their cars and line up the field as they were running the previous lap.

Now, the "Stewie caution" -- it was the absolute right call to throw the caution to prevent a larger accident, the flagger assumed the car would be crippled and everyone behind would pile in. He made the right call in the interest of safety and calls like that need to be made in a split-second.

In the end, it was an unnecessary caution, Stew was able to continue with no problem. So, the caution was thrown in error, it was a mistake, and so Stew was rightly and correctly allowed to maintain his position. I consider it a no-harm/no-foul situation -- it was a caution thrown in error in the interest of safety, but much like a debris caution, no one driver should be penalized for it.

I have no defense of why OCFS, which ran like a well-oiled machine under Will Cagle and Jay Castimore, has managed to become a track that can't stay to a schedule, that changes qualifying procedures several times in a season (after abandoning the DIRT system of handicapped heats and features which has worked for decades) and that despite an enormous amount of invest comes across as a place where nobody really knows what is going on.

I wish Mr. Larsen all the best and I admire his ambitions and he is putting a lot into local dirt racing ... but I hope he manages to get his team on the same page and focus on having a well-run, professional, consistent operation. With 100+ teams in the pits every week, you can't make it up as you go along -- you need to be consistent and predictable and fair. If you have a good team, consistency and run a good show, the business side will come together.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, atlkevin said:

Larsen hasn't addressed why the racing program starts late almost every saturday night, not just Centennial weekend.  sprinkles of rain were hitting the track about the same time the green was dropped...i was there.  so Mike Gurda's feeling were hurt...big deal...how many $60k + race cars were tore up that night?  Was Matt out of line for getting upset....yeah probably..so what? Looks to me like this is a big smokescreen to keep Matt from winning Halmar cash...eliminating the 9s increases the odds in Stewies favor.  Larsen oughta invite all parties involved to the 31st lap for a few brewskis and get over this.  This isvone thing i dislke most about ocfs....way too much drama and not enough racing.  

Well according to Brett Hearn it was not raining when the race started.   Both of you can not be right.

We get  it by now. from your numerous negative posts that you do not like OCFS.

Million dollar question is .....why do you keep going there then?

• Thanks 1

why is Mike Gurda over-ruling Sanchelli in the first place? Sanchelli was the race director Gurda isn't.  i have a hunch Gurda was over-ruling Sanchelli on rules for quite some time.  instead shouldn't Gurda and/or Larsen should be concerned with making sure the event schedule moves along as planned? i saw time trials listed as starting @ 4:30...not 5:30.  i see what Sanchelli was trying to do...ocfs screwed up by not dropping the yellow quick enough so he wanted to try to make up for it by letting wrecked cars not lose track position.  

31 minutes ago, leroy said:

Well according to Brett Hearn it was not raining when the race started.   Both of you can not be right.

We get  it by now. from your numerous negative posts that you do not like OCFS.

Million dollar question is .....why do you keep going there then?

lol...so here we go again...sprinkles...errant raindrops were beginning to fall...nobody said or suggested the race was started during a downpour. Unlike Brett, i was outside not buckled into a racecar or wearing a helmet and i felt the drops on my face.  Brett's a smart guy...he doesn't wanna add anything to the controversy and thats a good move. ok...i get it leroy...anyone who criticizes the way ocfs runs the place shouldnt go.  maybe thats why the stands arent even half full saturday nites...or why attendance for the Midway race was poor.  ESW attracts alot of the top dirtcar drivers...now why wouldn't i go to that? and Matt is one of those drivers.  i think its a better race with him in it. 

• Like 2

Another ironic statement from Chris at the end of his letter is this,  'In my world you say what you mean and do what you say.'

Is that entirely true?  OCFS is your world and you put people in charge to direct the race.  Sanchelli said that they can work on their cars and maintain position (say what you mean) but then OCFS says if you work on your car you lose your position (well you didn't follow thru with doing what you say).

On the positive side,  I think Chris does love racing and wanted to do something really great for the modified world.  If he didn't put his heart and soul into this event (I think he did) ,  he definitely put his wallet into it.  A lot of time, effort, and details went into making the event special.  Overall,  I had a great time that day, a lot of fun, and thought the racing was great once the show was on its way. 

I can only hope,  for everyone's sake,  that OCFS gets more organized so that it will be around for years to come. 

1 hour ago, leroy said:

Several hundred of us sitting in the half covered felt and saw it raining at green flag .