Sign in to follow this  
DaRooster

Too freekin' bad, aint it?

Obviously, we are all race fans on here. But the reality is that racing until 1:45 a.m. is always going to make enemies of non race fans. Williams Grove and Lincoln are two other places that used to run several early morning shows each season due to rain, and neither of them do it much (or at all) anymore because of the backlash from residents.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FightForTheRail said:

Obviously, we are all race fans on here. But the reality is that racing until 1:45 a.m. is always going to make enemies of non race fans. Williams Grove and Lincoln are two other places that used to run several early morning shows each season due to rain, and neither of them do it much (or at all) anymore because of the backlash from residents.

I think based on recent post by management ....This complaint by town officials and people near track would fall under the classification as BOORISH behavior which will not be tolerated .....

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FightForTheRail said:

Yea, you're right......the residents of Middletown would much rather see and hear the more familiar sights and sounds of heroin addicts and gunfire that time of the night than race cars and engines.

15 minutes ago, DaRooster said:

Yea, you're right......the residents of Middletown would much rather see and hear the more familiar sights and sounds of heroin addicts and gunfire that time of the night than race cars and engines.

If you think taking the stance that running until the wee hours of the morning is going to endear the track to local residents because the alternative is urban decay, that is a losing a strategy. Again, there is a reason other places that used to wait out the rain until the wee hours of the morning don't do it anymore. 

Heroin addiction or gunfire may not be possible for the residents to eliminate, but a dirt track running  until the wee hours sure can be eliminated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaRooster said:

No wonder some drivers were edgy at Rain Gate they were kept up all nite before  because of gunfire and pushers trying to sell drugs at there RVs.....Was this considered by management before penalties were handed out ??..... And thank you for this info ......I won't be at ESW for sure ......

I can understand finishing the race after the rain stopped. From everything I saw posted if they wouldn’t have wasted so much time and started on time they would have finished before the rain hit. But shooting off fireworks at 1:30 in the morning is really asking for trouble. Why didn’t they just do the fireworks when they were getting the track back into racing condition after the rain stopped. Sounds like Mr. Larson is going to have to grease some palms.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RJO said:

I can understand finishing the race after the rain stopped. From everything I saw posted if they wouldn’t have wasted so much time and started on time they would have finished before the rain hit. But shooting off fireworks at 1:30 in the morning is really asking for trouble. Why didn’t they just do the fireworks when they were getting the track back into racing condition after the rain stopped. Sounds like Mr. Larson is going to have to grease some palms.

and he's good at greasing palms....just ask Andrew Cuomo.....LOL

• Haha 1

I mean to be fair I don’t think anyone in attendance really wants to still be there at 130am either. I can’t really blame Middletown on that one

• Like 1

A solid majority of the Facebook comments supported the track tho.  Here's a few:

• Diana Christine
    Last Saturday, around 1am, I let my dogs out for the night and I heard a distant, quiet hum. I knew it wasn't the train tracks a half mile from my home, they're always way louder at night. I listened for a minute and then brought my husband outside to listen too. It sounded like racecars. We were both shocked and elated the anniversary $100k race didn't rain out. We both smiled knowing racers & fans from all over the north east came to Orange county for this historic race, and even though it was a late night, they still ran it. Our home is in blooming grove on the goshen boarder. It was a very happy thing to hear the light hum of high RPM motors for such an important and historic race. As Penny Chenery once said during another historic race (Secreteriat's Triple crown win) "Let em run!"
  • Mike Consales
    It was a 100 year celebration people. You won't even be alive for the 200 year one. It's over so shut up.
  • JoAnne Shea
    That track is one of the Best parts of Middletown,brings big business in,so do the concerts.Put some earplugs in your ears.
  • Eddie Junior
    If that track wasn’t there, Middletown would continue to deteriorate. Your firefighters are drug dealers, and you’re worried about fireworks and race cars that bring hundreds of people and revenue to the area more than this

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FightForTheRail said:

If you think taking the stance that running until the wee hours of the morning is going to endear the track to local residents because the alternative is urban decay, that is a losing a strategy. Again, there is a reason other places that used to wait out the rain until the wee hours of the morning don't do it anymore. 

Heroin addiction or gunfire may not be possible for the residents to eliminate, but a dirt track running  until the wee hours sure can be eliminated.

Look, it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal.  I'm just sick of ineffective politicians picking the low-hanging fruit.   

ocfs management should keep the local race fans informed of any town hall meetings which might have an effect on speedway operations regarding noise regulations and curfews.  i'd go to these meetings and voice my support for the track and i'm sure other fans would as well.  what better sound is there in the world is 30 big blocks firing up together on pit road? sweet music to my ears...noise NOT!!! again though this is why starting the racing program on time is an issue that would benefit the fans racers and the track.  some fans and teams have a long ride home already so thats one issue.  and who wants to be out on the roads @ 2am on the way home after tossing back a couple @ the 31st lap? 

If I was not a race fan and I could hear racecars at 1:45 in the morning, I would be pissed.

Come to think of it, if I hear racecars at 1:45 in the morning, in most instances, I will be pissed as well.

• Like 1

Don’t buy a house near a racetrack....it’s real simple....the people bitching about this particular instance, bitch about the track regardless. This time there is tiny bit of legitimacy to the complaint so they will blow it up and run with it....kind of like the assholes next to Fulton speedway, not one of those idiots lived there prior to the racetrack opening, so they all purchased a house knowing there was a loud dusty track next door, then bitched. They sound just as foolish as people living below sea level do when they flood.

• Like 2

Or the folks that buy a house next to a farm then bitch constantly cause it smells like shit and lots of flies. Hey geez you didn't notice all them cows and the big ole barns when you looked at the place you idiots!

1 hour ago, rpm72x said:

Don’t buy a house near a racetrack....it’s real simple....the people bitching about this particular instance, bitch about the track regardless. This time there is tiny bit of legitimacy to the complaint so they will blow it up and run with it....kind of like the assholes next to Fulton speedway, not one of those idiots lived there prior to the racetrack opening, so they all purchased a house knowing there was a loud dusty track next door, then bitched. They sound just as foolish as people living below sea level do when they flood.

I understand so well. The people in the town of Malta buy houses in the winter then comes spring and holy crap theres a racetrack... people should look around the area before buying a house

• Like 1