Sign in to follow this  
Art Roraback

Why do supposed race fans simply come here to complain?

I've been a registered user of this site dating back to the days when it was Fire on Dirt. Since I didn't have

any inside information to offer I generally was/and am  a lurker. In recent years it has been getting painful

to follow most of the topics as they predominantly consist of people bitching about everything imaginable.

I just don't get how people can maintain such constant negativity.  If I was a non racefan and happened to

find this forum I'd think twice about going to my first race. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind it if the complaint is legitimate and the same person is just as quick to point out positive things that happen. I do get your point though. I'm of the contraian mind set if posters pile on too much, I won't listen. I.E. this track is bad because of this call or that call don't go there, I will go there. I wish OFCS was closer to me for example cause I'd be there. Again though I understand the just of your post.

• Like 2

I used to check posts on the site at least 12 times a day and look forward to finding out information about drivers, tracks, events. While I am still here a few times every day it isn't as fun or informative as it used to be. I tend to gripe a lot but generally with my racing buddies and in private, not in a public forum. It's just a sad commentary on society in general in that we all like to complain about everything but in my experience the ones that dish it out the most couldn't take the heat if they were the ones being constantly maligned. Thankfully the racing life is still fun and I look forward to seeing my friends at the Valley for every event. While helping Lisa sell 50/50 tickets I hear from a lot of DTD users complaining about all the people that complain. It's really a shame as this is a remarkable outlet for information and you can't beat the cost.

• Like 1

Art, 

i think by coming on here and voicing their thoughts and opunions(complaints) it make them feel like the promotor can’t use the excuse well I didn’t know. 

And promotors like Paul Cole and Bill Shea have had the decency to respond when other blow it off . 

If you can’t take the time to address issues your in the wrong business!!!!

• Like 1

Haha I have been thinking about this very topic! I don’t get it really if everything about Modified  racing is all bad from the body styles, Big Block/Small Block engines, any series race in Canada or outside New York State for that matter, races being fixed (in terms of who wins) and promoters, race officials, owners who cant do anything right leaves you upset, depressed, or suicidal why bother continuing to following the sport?

another thing that always gets me is these weird childish names that people on here come up  with for NASCAR, don’t get me wrong I am not a huge fan of asphalt racing in general  but why make up these weird ass names for NASCAR? Everyone on here knows the racing is terrible and the organization is in disarray  and it is what is nothing we can do about it! Also who the heck cares how long it’s been since you last watched it, this is not a “local support group” that gives out chips based on how long in which you have gone with out watching NASCAR.  

Another thing that has always intrigued me is since this message boards inception the general consensus was the racing at the Moody Mile was boring and a waste of time! But the minute it was closing it was complete anarchy on here, some of the same people who for years absolutely hated the place and said they needed to stop running  SDW there were now completely distraught and in shambles about the closing of the Moody Mile .....wait didn’t you hate that place anyway???

And what happened to the days of, if you even so much had a negative thought about Fonda or OCFS and posted on here you were crucified???? Lol ok that was something that I always found so funny when this board started up!

That’s all I got I just except racing for what it is, nothing in life is perfect no matter how hard we try to make it, so why expect racing to be perfect?

Lets just go to the races and enjoy what we have and not bitch and moan about every single little detail! 

• Like 2

Art, I was a member of the old fire on dirt as well.  Complaining has become a way of life unfortunately.  It used to be constructive criticism on message boards and an outlet for the fans to voice an opinion.  No longer, its become an avenue for faceless people to find the smallest flaw and turn it into a forest fire.  People need to check out raceny to see what negativity has done to a site that was really popular 5 years ago. Find the positives people PLEASE!😁 

• Like 2

There was a lot less BS and complaining before social media.

Was that because people complained as much in private and now it's out in the open?

I find it hard to believe that there is a larger percentage of society in general that complains more. There are more people so there will be more complaints (but the % should be similar) and DTD, Facebook, etc are just showing us what people were really thinking.

• Like 3

I find social media in general to be about complaining.  There are very few people that are positive on Twitter and Facebook.  It's a way to feel important to me.  If you can cut someone else down while making yourself feel good, well that's the way things are now.  It's just sad.  I don't read facebook or twitter for anything more than race results.  For all the good they do, there is the constant bitching and complaining.   

Our wish here that it isn't about complaining, but more about talking racing and having a place to do that.  I don't think things are as bad here as they are on the other social media platforms.  It isn't perfect, but at least here we have people pointing out the positives.

• Like 2

Have you ever gone to Yelp or TripAdvisor to look at restaurant reviews? It’s worse there than anything on DTD and newcomers are far more likely to look at restaurant reviews before eating there than some racing newbie is to look at some random message board before going to his first night of racing. 

Frankly racing can suck from time to time and there should be an outlet for those to constructively criticize. Of course you have the trolls but there aren’t that many here and they’re usually called out fairly quickly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eagleonemotorsports said:

Art, 

i think by coming on here and voicing their thoughts and opunions(complaints) it make them feel like the promotor can’t use the excuse well I didn’t know. 

And promotors like Paul Cole and Bill Shea have had the decency to respond when other blow it off . 

If you can’t take the time to address issues your in the wrong business!!!!

Complaining about complainers is the worst!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Many of us have been around long enough to have seen a much better era of racing, much more competitive and much more popular. It’s extremely disappointing to see how far modified racing in a lot of areas in the northeast has fallen.,.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Art Roraback said:

I used to check posts on the site at least 12 times a day and look forward to finding out information about drivers, tracks, events. While I am still here a few times every day it isn't as fun or informative as it used to be. I tend to gripe a lot but generally with my racing buddies and in private, not in a public forum. It's just a sad commentary on society in general in that we all like to complain about everything but in my experience the ones that dish it out the most couldn't take the heat if they were the ones being constantly maligned. Thankfully the racing life is still fun and I look forward to seeing my friends at the Valley for every event. While helping Lisa sell 50/50 tickets I hear from a lot of DTD users complaining about all the people that complain. It's really a shame as this is a remarkable outlet for information and you can't beat the cost.

How ironic... you are complaining that this site isn't as fun or informative as it used to be. Lol.  If you take a hard look you will find that there are several topics on this board where people are debating racing and not complaining. People have different opinions and will point out both the good and the bad or the positive versus the negative.  Society in general loves to complain. Its reflected on this site and many others. I don't think its fair to shine a light on this site as far as complaining is concerned. Just my opinion.  Take a look at the world we live in. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, chas71 said:

There was a lot less BS and complaining before social media.

Was that because people complained as much in private and now it's out in the open?

I find it hard to believe that there is a larger percentage of society in general that complains more. There are more people so there will be more complaints (but the % should be similar) and DTD, Facebook, etc are just showing us what people were really thinking.

There was just as much complaining and BS in 1978 as there is now. It was done in person or over the phone.

• Like 2

If I complain about the complaining does that said complaint count as complaining again ?
If it is my own complaining that I complain about in response to when I complain, does that qualify as conjecture  ?  
I am really befuddled by this one.

There isn't nearly the amount of complaining, fighting, etc., on this board as there was like 13-14 years ago. I think it is quite civil today, I don't know what those people are talking about.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, Danny said:

If I complain about the complaining does that said complaint count as complaining again ?
If it is my own complaining that I complain about in response to when I complain, does that qualify as conjecture  ?  
I am really befuddled by this one.

I'm filing a complaint about this post.............

The internet ... what it was ... what it is ... and what it will become ... is a mirrored reflection of the real world that we live in.  There aren't any more (or any less) of any kind of person on here than there are in the real world.

It's just that, in the real world, we are in our living room, and they are in theirs. Because we don't see them, we forget they are out there, and they cease to exist in our world.

The internet has made the world smaller. We are more exposed to what each other think and feel ... ... rather than getting Walter Cronkite's, Tom Brokaw's, or Katie Couric's version of how others think and feel.

The rest of the world is far more tolerant than we are because we are far more insular than they are. We tend to surround ourselves with people who think and feel the same way as we do. It gives us that warm, fuzzy, false sense of security.

It's not the internet. It's the world we live in. Sorry guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GasketCase said:

The internet ... what it was ... what it is ... and what it will become ... is a mirrored reflection of the real world that we live in.  There aren't any more (or any less) of any kind of person on here than there are in the real world.

It's just that, in the real world, we are in our living room, and they are in theirs. Because we don't see them, we forget they are out there, and they cease to exist in our world.

The internet has made the world smaller. We are more exposed to what each other think and feel ... ... rather than getting Walter Cronkite's, Tom Brokaw's, or Katie Couric's version of how others think and feel.

The rest of the world is far more tolerant than we are because we are far more insular than they are. We tend to surround ourselves with people who think and feel the same way as we do. It gives us that warm, fuzzy, false sense of security.

It's not the internet. It's the world we live in. Sorry guys.

So true...