Sign in to follow this  
jsw14886

Favorite 3+ day race event

What’s your favorite big race weekend to go to? My brother and I are looking for a big race to go to next year. We’ve done the world finals, super dirt week, and the Outlaw/Victoria 200. Now we’re looking for something new. Something where we’ll be there for at least 3 days if not more. What are your thoughts? 

If you like sprint cars, Knoxville Nationals is by far my favorite. Kings Royal weekend is also fun and closer.

• Like 1

Never been. But someday I want to go to the Four Crown at Eldora.   As con7 mentioned Knoxville Nationals and Kings Royal also on the bucket list.

I have also heard great things about the National Open in Williams Grove which I believe is this weekend. But never been to that either.

Go to Boone. When you leave there you will be sick of so much racing. Before I croak I'm gonna go. 

3 hours ago, leroy said:

Never been. But someday I want to go to the Four Crown at Eldora.   As con7 mentioned Knoxville Nationals and Kings Royal also on the bucket list.

I have also heard great things about the National Open in Williams Grove which I believe is this weekend. But never been to that either.

Neither one of those are 3 days or longer (4 Crown or National Open), which is what he asked recommendations for.

This is easy, the Chili Bowl is the greatest race on the planet. Do yourself & your brother a favor, go!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In my mind, there is only one answer. 410 Sprints, Open Late Models and Northeast Modifieds on the same card, at what might be the absolute best dirt track racing facility in the country... The World Finals in Charlotte. It is also has the best dollar value for tickets in racing period. There is no contest. I have been to every World Finals event since it was born, plus the preliminary event at Volusia the year before the World Finals started and have no plans of stopping. There are other bonuses that dovetail into this event...

Charlotte/Concord North Carolina area is among the fastest growing areas in the country. That means there are hotels and restaurants galore. If you are into NASCAR at all, you can spend days visiting all of the race shops as most are within a 50 to 60 mile radius of each other.

And just when I thought The World Finals couldn't get any better, they added a second event the prior weekend called The World Short Track Championship that brings in all of the undercard classes we see at our local speedways across America. It includes Late Models, Crate Late Models, UMP/IMCA style Modifieds, UMP Street Stocks, DIRTcar Pro Stocks, Front Wheel Drive 4 cylinder stocks, a Rear Wheel Drive 4 cylinder stock class that would be more appropriately called 4 Cylinder Late Models (I love this class) and our very own DIRTcar Sportsman. If you went both weekends, you would see 6 solid days of racing. The 4 off days between events allows sight seeing time for race shops and whatever.

Tickets to both events per person would be $159. But the best part about them is they not only guarantee you a seat, they also allow you to free roam and cruise the pits if that's more your thing.

• Like 1

Hard to top Miller's layout. That's the most bang per buck I've ever heard of in racing.

I couldn’t agree with Miller more as it pertains to the “best” 3 day show. You see the top 3 classes in the entire US FOR $100 ! Gorgeous facility, friendly people and the weather is usually better than what we have around here during that time of the year.

That being said, you’d have to take me at gunpoint and force me to go for both weekends. I rarely stay at my local tracks to watch many of the support classes. I’ll watch the sportsmen if the 358’s are the top class....the sbm’s if big blocks headline, maybe even late models or sprints if they are the only support class. To have to sit through ALL of these support classes sounds like pure torture !

• Confused 1

Hard to disagree about the World Finals, however the original poster said he’d already been there and was looking for new ideas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, con7 said:

Hard to disagree about the World Finals, however the original poster said he’d already been there and was looking for new ideas. 

One of the things I like the most about dirt track racing is hitting a 'new' event.  Or better yet a 'new' track.  

I have yet to get to a new track this season.   But still very much hopeful it can be done. 

1 hour ago, Uncle tom said:

... I rarely stay at my local tracks to watch many of the support classes. I’ll watch the sportsmen if the 358’s are the top class....the sbm’s if big blocks headline, maybe even late models or sprints if they are the only support class. To have to sit through ALL of these support classes sounds like pure torture !

Pure torture? What an insult to those trying to get to headline status.

• Like 1

The best 3 day show in my area is the Thompson World Series.  It has around 17 divisions spread out over a 3 day weekend.  Includes ISMA, NEMA midgets, Whelen Modifieds, SK mods, ACT late models, Pro Stock/Super late models, street stocks. Pretty much any pavement race car division racing in the Northeast will be in attendance.. It is almost too much racing. 

• Like 1

Eastern states 200 is always a good weekend

1 hour ago, BobMiller said:

Pure torture? What an insult to those trying to get to headline status.

I was referring to your post regarding all the classes running at the Dirt Track at Charlotte, the week prior to the World Finals. Although I could say the same thing for the tracks that run 5-7 classes on a weekly basis.

This year makes the 4th running of the Short Track Championships. This will also be my 4th year steering a video camera for their internet broadcast. All of the cars in attendance are the cream of the crop at their home tracks, there is no junk here. Every car in every class is painted up shiny and new, just like they did at Super DIRT Week in Syracuse. Everyone is proud to represent their home tracks on a national stage and they race accordingly. 

Just my opinion, but short track racing across the country needs this event. Sitting in the stands are potential sponsors, car owners, writers for national publications and talent scouts from bigger divisions. Keeping their interest is how we generate national sponsors.

My favorite is the Firecracker 100. Just one of these years if it could get decent weather it would be even more amazing. 

1 hour ago, Josh Bayko said:

My favorite is the Firecracker 100. Just one of these years if it could get decent weather it would be even more amazing. 

LMAO... fat chance in that. Been there several times for TV over the years and I don't think it was dry the whole weekend any time we went there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobMiller said:

LMAO... fat chance in that. Been there several times for TV over the years and I don't think it was dry the whole weekend any time we went there.

I can remember just one year where weather wasn’t really an issue. It was one of the first five years when it was still just two days. 

Kokomo Smackdown should definitely be on everybody's bucket list 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tygarl said:

Kokomo Smackdown should definitely be on everybody's bucket list 

That’s on my list. Kokomo is in my top 5 tracks I’ve been to. 

• Like 1