Jump to content



Sign in to follow this  
valleyfan

Old dirt track by Cape Cod?

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, valleyfan said:

Thank you, it was driving my dad nuts.

More than you do? ūü§£

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chatham Speedway I believe ran as a oiled dirt track for a year or two before becoming a 1/5 mile paved  oval. It only ran for a few years after that. Dan Meservey then promoted Golden Isles Speedway (AKA Lakeville). IIRC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It annoys me that there is no dirt racing in most of New England. whenever I take a vacation to the ocean, I have to go without. Or even worse ... go to a paved track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GasketCase said:

It annoys me that there is no dirt racing in most of New England. whenever I take a vacation to the ocean, I have to go without. Or even worse ... go to a paved track.

go on vacation without the ocean

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GasketCase said:

It annoys me that there is no dirt racing in most of New England. whenever I take a vacation to the ocean, I have to go without. Or even worse ... go to a paved track.

Seekonk is great racing.  Can’t wait to get there this month for the Haunted 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been past it but wouldn't go because I thought the admission was outrageous for a paved track. I always expect it to be half of a dirt track, but it's double. Never understood that because it costs far more to maintain a dirt facility.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leroy said:

go on vacation without the ocean

That's almost as bad as going without racing. ... Okay ... I'm being a drama queen. I'd give up the ocean long before I'd give up dirt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across an old CRC Series schedule from 1977 or 1978. I don't remember the details, but I swear I saw a listing for a dirt track in Maine, of all places, holding a series race.

Is Barnyard in Rhode Island still running? (They used to run Enduro cars something like 20 years ago, I remember Guy Smith doing a writeup in AARN. He was not impressed but thrilled to add a new track.)

Too bad Keene, NH couldn't get going again ... Bear Ridge seems to be hanging on pretty well and the tracks seemed to be a good local circuit when they were both running.

While I'm not a pavement fan, I'm glad there are few tracks like Star and Seekonk hanging on, even though that's definitely not my thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keene? Is that Monadnock now? If so, it went to pavement. Looks like a nice little track but doesn't look like it's worth the astronomical admission price. ... I can't think of any other track in that area except Claremont, which was also ruined with pavement. 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GasketCase said:

It annoys me that there is no dirt racing in most of New England. whenever I take a vacation to the ocean, I have to go without. Or even worse ... go to a paved track.

Vacation at Point Pleasant Beach NJ, New Egypt is only 33 miles away (and Wall Stadium is only 8 miles.).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GasketCase said:

Keene? Is that Monadnock now? If so, it went to pavement. Looks like a nice little track but doesn't look like it's worth the astronomical admission price. ... I can't think of any other track in that area except Claremont, which was also ruined with pavement. 



 

Don't give up on pavement tracks. Thunder Road in Barre, VT. and Stafford Motor Speedway in Stafford Springs, CT. put on terrific racing programs. I hadn't been a fan of asphalt racing aside from watching Richard Petty a few times a year on CBS back in the day until I went to these two places. I'll grant you it's a long haul from a salt water beach. but the racing is great (and now over for the season.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thompson’s World Series is a great weekend of racing but it happens to be the same weekend as SDW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillSmith said:

Came across an old CRC Series schedule from 1977 or 1978. I don't remember the details, but I swear I saw a listing for a dirt track in Maine, of all places, holding a series race.

Is Barnyard in Rhode Island still running? (They used to run Enduro cars something like 20 years ago, I remember Guy Smith doing a writeup in AARN. He was not impressed but thrilled to add a new track.)

Too bad Keene, NH couldn't get going again ... Bear Ridge seems to be hanging on pretty well and the tracks seemed to be a good local circuit when they were both running.

While I'm not a pavement fan, I'm glad there are few tracks like Star and Seekonk hanging on, even though that's definitely not my thing.

Beech Ridge in Maine was dirt(technically oiled clay) until the end of the 1985 season.  It was the first track I went to as a kid since my dad was a Late Model crew member there before he switched to Oxford instead.  Although dirt, Beech Ridge ran the same divisions and essentially same rules as the surrounding pavement tracks  They kind of had co-headline divisions with Supermodifieds which were later replaced by Modifieds along with Late Model Sportsman.  Many of the top guys ran both the open wheel division along with the Late Models.  And oddly enough even though they were running NASCAR style pavement Modifieds weekly on the dirt, there were a few seasons where there was a Super Dirt Week Syracuse Small Block qualifier race.  I think a couple guys showed up with dirt style cars to try to win that, but they burned their tires off pretty quickly on the oiled clay.  Obviously it  would have made more sense for the track to have a Pocono Race of Champions qualifier like every other Modified track in New England instead.   Not sure how as a kid I figured that out, but no one from Beech Ridge\Super Dirt Week\Race Champions could not. Insert other media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GasketCase said:

Keene? Is that Monadnock now? If so, it went to pavement. Looks like a nice little track but doesn't look like it's worth the astronomical admission price. ... I can't think of any other track in that area except Claremont, which was also ruined with pavement. 



 

Manadnock is a great track. I was looking to go there in July but I’ll agree the schedule and pricing was a bit odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PatsJags14 said:

Manadnock is a great track. I was looking to go there in July but I’ll agree the schedule and pricing was a bit odd

You can literally stand in the parking lot and watch the races. I said there for about 10 minutes to check it out. For pavement racing it wasn't bad. Beautiful ride to get there too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaRooster said:

Vacation at Point Pleasant Beach NJ, New Egypt is only 33 miles away (and Wall Stadium is only 8 miles.).   

You think like I do. The last two times I stayed in New Jersey I went to New Egypt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GasketCase said:

You think like I do. The last two times I stayed in New Jersey I went to New Egypt

I've had Pt Pleasant locals tell me to set up a beach chair at the Rt. 34 traffic circle on Sat nite and I'll see a better show than at Wall.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Art Roraback said:

Don't give up on pavement tracks. Thunder Road in Barre, VT. and Stafford Motor Speedway in Stafford Springs, CT. put on terrific racing programs. I hadn't been a fan of asphalt racing aside from watching Richard Petty a few times a year on CBS back in the day until I went to these two places. I'll grant you it's a long haul from a salt water beach. but the racing is great (and now over for the season.)

 

I gave up on pavement when Cale Yarborough was still racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monadnock has been pavement forever, it's a lot further north. I remember seeing photos in Gater from it in the 1970s.

Keene, NH is down in the southern end of the state. I know it had both a dirt track and a pavement track at the same site. It shut down a few years ago, but used to partner with Bear Ridge. 

I think there is another dirt track in New Hampshire, called VFW or something like that (don't know if it is still in operation but was running a few years ago). All I know is that they had the SCONE 360 Sprints there a few times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

19 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

Monadnock has been pavement forever, it's a lot further north. I remember seeing photos in Gater from it in the 1970s.

Keene, NH is down in the southern end of the state. I know it had both a dirt track and a pavement track at the same site. It shut down a few years ago, but used to partner with Bear Ridge. 

I think there is another dirt track in New Hampshire, called VFW or something like that (don't know if it is still in operation but was running a few years ago). All I know is that they had the SCONE 360 Sprints there a few times a year.

Bill I think you are thinking of canaan fair speedway.  It had a quarter mile dirt track which ran Fridays and a 1/3 mile pavement track run Saturdays. Rumor has it was bought up by a road racing enthusiast and they put in a road race course.  I was told the dirt was fairly successful and the pavement track struggled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

I think there is another dirt track in New Hampshire, called VFW or something like that (don't know if it is still in operation but was running a few years ago). All I know is that they had the SCONE 360 Sprints there a few times a year.

You’re thinking of Legion Speedway, which I believe closed last year. Was one of a I believe 3 dirt tracks left in New England, with Bear Ridge and Devils Bowl obviously being the other 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a dirt track in NH called legion speedway in Rumley NH.  They ran Sundays for awhile with sportsman mods and mini sprints.  They may have been sold and reopened as Rumtown Speedway in Wentworth NH.  I believe it is the same location and configuration as Legion.  The speedway sits between Rumley and Wentworth.  I know the SCONE sprint series used to be a frequent visitor of the facility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
















×