Sign in to follow this  
RJO

Tri-City Raceway Park Franklin, PA

Tri-City Raceway Park SOLD to Merle Black & his family of Mercer, PA. The track will once again open its doors for the 2020 racing season. Preparations are currently underway. A schedule of events and announcements will be made public in the coming months. Updates will be made via Facebook and the tracks website. See you in 2020! 

• Like 3

I have yet to get to that track, on my bucket list.

26 minutes ago, jumper12a said:

Nice place saw an allstar show there 5 years ago very racey place from what I recall 

• Like 1

It’s a half mile banked track and not a bad seat in the house. There is nothing on the infield to block your view. The pit area is located off of turns three and four. I saw a hand full of races there. They used to run Sunday’s And it will be interesting to see what divisions they run and what night of the week they run. There are no less then 12 tracks within 100 miles of them. I wish them well.

1 hour ago, RJO said:

It’s a half mile banked track and not a bad seat in the house. There is nothing on the infield to block your view. The pit area is located off of turns three and four. I saw a hand full of races there. They used to run Sunday’s And it will be interesting to see what divisions they run and what night of the week they run. There are no less then 12 tracks within 100 miles of them. I wish them well.

Seriously?  Not disputing you Ron . But would I like to know more about these 12 tracks

12 hours ago, jumper12a said:

Got there in 95...ESS and NRA had a combo race.  Unfortunately that is where Billy Bradshaw had his bad accident,  Just a freak deal.

Back then was a very nice facility and they do carry some speed there. 

More news on Tri-City

MERCER, Pa. (EYT) – After sitting idle this past season, there is finally some good news from one of Western Pennsylvania’s most popular race tracks. Merle Black of Mercer has purchased Tri-City Speedway, also known as Tri-City Raceway Park and has plans to bring weekly racing back to the famed dirt oval for the 2020 season.

Despite running special shows during past seasons, the track has not operated on a weekly basis for a full season since 2010. 

Black indicated his tentative plans are to bring back the popular 410 sprint cars on Sunday nights to compete for a competitive purse. They will be joined by the 358 modifieds and another rotating division. He would like to start at 6:00 p.m. so fans and racers can be on the road and home in a timely manner. This was the blueprint that worked so well for former owners Roger Crick and Mike Graham during their successful run as owners from 1996 through the 2000s.

Originally opened in 1954 as a quarter-mile dirt oval, the track operated in this configuration until 1968. 

In 1969, the track reopened as a half-mile oval where it held races until closing in 1981 after a fire destroyed the main concession stand and most of the bleachers. 

The newly renovated track reopened in 1985 under the ownership of Bob Mauersberg and family but shut down after the 1987 season due to local amusement taxes.

The track sat idle once again until 1996 under the ownership of Crick and Graham who again made many improvements to the track and brought it to its current configuration. Since then the track has experienced varying levels of success with special only schedules under several different owners. This also included weekly Friday racing featuring late models which lasted less than a few months. 

Over the years the track has seen some of the biggest names and sanctioning bodies in the country compete. Names like Jeff Gordon, Kenny Wallace, Steve Kinser, Ken Schrader, and Dave Blaney are just a few of the stars that have graced the clay at the Venango county oval. The World of Outlaws late models and sprint car series have both made visits to the track along with the All-Star Circuit of Champions where the sprint cars always bring a big crowd. 

Everyone is hoping Merle Black can bring life back to Tri-City Speedway and will be able to make weekly racing thrive at the track once again. A track rich in racing history is ready to bring local racing back to loyal fans of the area and a new generation of fans.

15 hours ago, RJO said:

I think Hidden Valley is closed but...way to be on your toes saw your post about how many tracks with in a 100 miles thought someone might call you out on that lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Racerfan2003 said:

I think Hidden Valley is closed but...way to be on your toes saw your post about how many tracks with in a 100 miles thought someone might call you out on that lol

Hidden Valley reopened this year and did very well. 

Mckean, Marion Center are not operating 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jodyr said:

Hidden Valley reopened this year and did very well. 

Mckean, Marion Center are not operating 

Love there Ranch Dressing.

• Like 1

Last I heard, it’s going to be a three division show on Sunday nights. 410s, small block mods, and undecided at this point for the third division. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh Bayko said:

Last I heard, it’s going to be a three division show on Sunday nights. 410s, small block mods, and undecided at this point for the third division. 

Black indicated his tentative plans are to bring back the popular 410 sprint cars on Sunday nights to compete for a competitive purse. They will be joined by the 358 modifieds and another rotating division. He would like to start at 6:00 p.m. so fans and racers can be on the road and home in a timely manner. This was the blueprint that worked so well for former owners Roger Crick and Mike Graham during their successful run as owners from 1996 through the 2000s

I made one trip there. Parking is less than desirable if it’s wet,but the track itself produced good enough racing. 

2 hours ago, RJO said:

Black indicated his tentative plans are to bring back the popular 410 sprint cars on Sunday nights to compete for a competitive purse. They will be joined by the 358 modifieds and another rotating division. He would like to start at 6:00 p.m. so fans and racers can be on the road and home in a timely manner. This was the blueprint that worked so well for former owners Roger Crick and Mike Graham during their successful run as owners from 1996 through the 2000s

They ran big blocks instead of small blocks back then. There really aren’t many small blocks left in the area these days, that move is kind of a head scratcher. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 9:29 PM, Dean Reynolds said:

Got there in 95...ESS and NRA had a combo race.  Unfortunately that is where Billy Bradshaw had his bad accident,  Just a freak deal.

Back then was a very nice facility and they do carry some speed there. 

Hello Dean,

That was actually 1997. While much of our family's only experience at the speedway was awful, we still recall Tri-City Speedway as being an awesome track. 

I wish the new owners much success.

-Geoff Bradshaw

On 10/3/2019 at 10:54 AM, bradsh98 said:

Hello Dean,

That was actually 1997. While much of our family's only experience at the speedway was awful, we still recall Tri-City Speedway as being an awesome track. 

I wish the new owners much success.

-Geoff Bradshaw

Thanks Geoff, I should have dig in deeper on the year.  It was a tough time for your family but it was good to see Billy bounce back and enjoy racing some again.  Hope everyone is doing well.