Sign in to follow this  
csg

dirt mods on Thompson CT pavement

I found this on youtube tonight.  I know they tried Dirt mods on asphalt at Albany Saratoga and it didn't work out. The Dirt mods ran walls turkey derby for a few years. There was a one off dirt sportsman race with Pass late models at Stafford several years ago.  It was not well attended by racers or fans. Is it the cost or just not much interest?   It looks like they had a good field and crowd for this one. I found it very entertaining.  I was surprised how close the Dirt mods (110mph) times were to Asphalt mods (116mph) the same year.   

• Thanks 1

I liked The DIRT/Asphalt Challenge Series even though many people  did not.   I went to three. Cayuga , Nazareth ,and Oswego.  Would of liked to check out more including Thompson

2 minutes ago, no rain said:

Look for the Dirt Mods at Flemington Speedway they where faster then the paved Mods  

No doubt.  Remember Ray Evernham raced the division on Saturday nights.

Back in I think 2012 the dirtcar 358 mods started running airborne as the headliner. Seeing 30 plus dirt mods go into turn 1 was one if the most violent things I have ever witnessed. Like nothing I will ever see again. When a wreck would occur the results were not pretty. They appeared to go so much faster than the mods on dirt at airborne.  Boy did they go through a lot of tires. Crazy!

This was when dirt promoters felt the only way to grow their product was to race on asphalt. WoO sprints followed suit a few years later. How times have changed.

There is no reason to screw up a perfectly good product like dirt modified or sprint car racing by putting it on pavement. 

46 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

There is no reason to screw up a perfectly good product like dirt modified or sprint car racing by putting it on pavement. 

I don't think the WoO should do it, but I've seen a ton of good sprint car races on pavement.

i was at the Thompson race.. it was a warm day and they made the mods wait until late in the day as everyone was concerned with tire failure ...

8 hours ago, rpm72x said:

I guess one thing would be you wouldn't have people incessantly complaining about dust????

12 minutes ago, Jetmech63 said:

I guess one thing would be you wouldn't have people incessantly complaining about dust????

That is true....

9 minutes ago, Jetmech63 said:

If I remember right , that was part of how the DIRT/Asphalt Challenge  was being promoted by Glenn.  Way before the days of SYNDI,  he had on his mind a way to get more people coming to the races.   

I saw them at Sanair (QUE) and it was a pretty good show. The 358s at Airborne were pretty thrilling, but it was frightening at times because impacts were just a lot harder.

Glenn's thinking (as I remember reading) was he wanted to make the Modifieds go into a major league type series with big television coverage and all of the biggest tracks, biggest grandstands were pavement -- so he was shooting for Cayuga, Oswego, Stafford, Thompson, Flemington (Which had a Truck race at the time), Sanair, Nazareth, etc. At the time there was talk of all kinds of new racetracks, too -- a big paved mile in Ontario, repurposing the old Air Force Base in Plattsburgh into a big roval type course for Indycars, you had Indy at the Cleveland Airport, NASCAR was talking about trying to build a track in the NY Metro area, Pocono ... 

The problem was that, race car engineers and mechanics being what they were, it didn't take long for specialty cars to come along that made it so that a Saturday night DIRT car was just uncompetitive. 

Airborne had a good 5-6 years with Mods on pavement ... it lasted longer than I thought it would. Guys were building cars that were totally DIRT legal but they designed specifically to perform well on pavement, so you had cars that dominated on one track, so nobody from the outside would come in, while they couldn't/wouldn't take their cars to a dirt track because the cars would be so off. At least that's how I had it explained to me.

I for one thought that the D/A mods were an excellent division, especially at Flemington, where they put on some highly entertaining 30 lappers. Our mods make for great looking race cars on the asphalt too, all cleaned up and shiny with rims, (no wheel covers). Again, I thought they were a terrific division, certainly as likable as USAC sprint cars or crown cars on pavement. 

• Like 2

I went both years they ran @ Thompson. Geoff Bodine won the first year, Reggie Reggiero won the next.