Sign in to follow this  
DaRooster

Bridgeport downsizing to 1/2 mile. Huh?

1 hour ago, DaRooster said:

I read the article 2x, but no reason given.  What's up.......600 feet less is going to improve profits?

They are trying something to improve the racing, which yes if it works should improve profits. I haven't read the article but i saw it mentioned that they are adding banking too but i can't confirm that.

Bridgeport's 5/8 track was just too big.  It was a legitimately long and wide track.  There was never any side by side / wheel to wheel racing there and that's a lot of track to illuminate which they did not do well.  They are shortening to less than 1/2 mile, supposedly adding some banking and relocating the existing lighting to illuminate the smaller track.  They have a nice large grandstand, big midway, and covered picnic area where they often have live music.  It's a good setup but the racing itself was never really that compelling.  Hopefully, it will work out for them.  Although I live in Jersey it's a long haul to get there but I'm intrigued and look forward to checking it out.  Grew up going to Flemington but having traveled to a ton of tracks in my adulthood I've come to appreciate the smaller tracks for weekly racing.  

• Like 2

The only article I found from a quick google search was a change of ownership announced in March.  I read that article and the new owner said the intent is to make Bridgeport speedway bigger and better.  Perhaps he meant smaller and better. There was another line in which they said they are the only track to offer big block Modifieds in NJ.  I thought New Egypt went back to Big blocks?

I am a firm believer smaller tracks provide better racing.  I have only been to Bridgeport a couple of times and thought it was too big. It looks bigger than a 5/8th. The change will probably entice some of the lesser dollar teams to race there feeling they arent at such a disadvantage anymore.  Didn't they just put in a 3/8th speedway within the last couple of years utilizing the front stretch.  Are they abandoning the 3/8th all together and just making a half mile.  3/8 isnt much different then 1/2 mile.  

1 hour ago, csg said:

I am a firm believer smaller tracks provide better racing.  I have only been to Bridgeport a couple of times and thought it was too big. It looks bigger than a 5/8th. The change will probably entice some of the lesser dollar teams to race there feeling they arent at such a disadvantage anymore.  Didn't they just put in a 3/8th speedway within the last couple of years utilizing the front stretch.  Are they abandoning the 3/8th all together and just making a half mile.  3/8 isnt much different then 1/2 mile.  

That 3/8th track provided arguably the best WoO sprint race of the year. 

9 hours ago, csg said:

The only article I found from a quick google search was a change of ownership announced in March.  I read that article and the new owner said the intent is to make Bridgeport speedway bigger and better.  Perhaps he meant smaller and better. There was another line in which they said they are the only track to offer big block Modifieds in NJ.  I thought New Egypt went back to Big blocks?

New Egypt allows BB and SB combos but the ticket there is the SB with sail panels. You won’t find a whole lot of big blocks running there for that reason but one can run one if they choose. 

As for the change are Bridgeport, I think it’s a great move. It’s big money to run there and the track is tough on motors. Guys are pretty much flat footing it around the track. The racing on the 3/8ths was better, IMO, which likely is prompting the move along with driver support. They’ve done a great job with the facility and I think this will continue the tradition of valuable upgrades and edits to the facility. 

I’ve had two trips to Bridgeport and I will say I loved the speed and the big size of the track. However, it’s been all Pauch Sr. both times I’ve been there.

It stinks the 5/8ths is completely going away as it’s a unique setup there, but they do have to do what’s best for business and keeping the place open and “affordable”.

1 hour ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

I’ve had two trips to Bridgeport and I will say I loved the speed and the big size of the track. However, it’s been all Pauch Sr. both times I’ve been there.

It stinks the 5/8ths is completely going away as it’s a unique setup there, but they do have to do what’s best for business and keeping the place open and “affordable”.

Never been there. But thinking it does suck the big track is going to be done.   I like it that all tracks are not the same. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:44 PM, con7 said:

That 3/8th track provided arguably the best WoO sprint race of the year. 

If anyone wants to get an idea of what the plan is for Bridgeport and you have Flo, tonights USAC race is at Lawrenceburg and that layout is the plan (as of today) for the new track.

Here's video of WOO from earlier in the year.

4 hours ago, chas71 said:

If anyone wants to get an idea of what the plan is for Bridgeport and you have Flo, tonights USAC race is at Lawrenceburg and that layout is the plan (as of today) for the new track.

Here's video of WOO from earlier in the year.

So is the “new” track the 3/8ths version? The reason I’m asking is because  Lawrenceburg is not a 1/2 mile. 

38 minutes ago, con7 said:

So is the “new” track the 3/8ths version? The reason I’m asking is because  Lawrenceburg is not a 1/2 mile. 

Right now the plan is slightly less than a 1/2 mile. They have changed their minds a few times already (now doing away with the 3/8) so I guess time will tell.

It's a smart idea. I've been calling for Lebanon valley to do it for years. Bigger is not better with high powered dirt cars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, GasketCase said:

It's a smart idea. I've been calling for Lebanon valley to do it for years. Bigger is not better with high powered dirt cars.

And Commander hasn’t listened to YOU ? Simply unacceptable!

One of the scariest things I've ever done was shoot video at the end of the back stretch outside of turn 3 at Bridgeport. I shot at ground level with my tripod legs tight up to the outside wall. I'm trying to remember if this was a World of Outlaw Late Model show or if it was a Modified Super Dirt Series event with Late Models on the card.

I've smartened up some since then and don't think I'd do it again. Not without smoking weed, I wouldn't. Come to think of it, that's probably how I got convinced in the first place.  :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Danny said:

And Commander hasn’t listened to YOU ? Simply unacceptable!

Right? That's what I'm saying.

My guess is that’ll end up as a 4/10. That’s the trendy size these days. 

4/10 = 2/5. Just saying.

I believe the plan is for CNYRP to be 5/8's as well?  Someone should tell Donnelly before track construction gets too far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, BobMiller said:

4/10 = 2/5. Just saying.

Oh I know, it’s just the trendy size these days, they call it 4/10 because it makes the lap times that more impressive. Or in the case or Rome down in Georgia, allows you to call yourself a half mile. 

4/10 "sounds" bigger than 2/5. Lots of people can't do fractions anymore. :)

47 minutes ago, BillSmith said:

4/10 "sounds" bigger than 2/5. Lots of people can't do fractions anymore. :)

Most tracks are overblown as far as size. Most 1/4 are slightly smaller than a quarter, most 1/3 and 3/8 are actually 1/4, most 4/10 are actually 3/8, and most  high banked half miles are 4/10. 

The only tracks that tend to be 100% accurate are fairgrounds half miles. 

11 minutes ago, Josh Bayko said:

Most tracks are overblown as far as size. Most 1/4 are slightly smaller than a quarter, most 1/3 and 3/8 are actually 1/4, most 4/10 are actually 3/8, and most  high banked half miles are 4/10. 

The only tracks that tend to be 100% accurate are fairgrounds half miles. 

I think Fulton is the exact opposite. Supposedly a 3/8. If it is then it was measured along the apron.

53 minutes ago, Sicklajoie said:

I think Fulton is the exact opposite. Supposedly a 3/8. If it is then it was measured along the apron.

Back when I was hitting mod tracks regularly, Fulton was billed as 1/3. 

Rolling Wheels always billed itself as 5/8.  No way you can not tell me that track is bigger than PMS.  Which claims to be 1/2?  5/10?

Canandaigua I think has been advertised as 1/2?   You can also fit that entire track in the infield at PMS