Sign in to follow this  
MHL941

Small block racing in the big block event at super dirt week

Is it required that a small block has to put the quick fill in if running the big block race?  Just wondering if this is a requirement since it is now a rule they don’t run them for the small block race.  

8 minutes ago, CNDDIRTFAN said:

As of last year quick fills were not mandatory for the BB race. Mat Williamson ran without one

How long does it take to fill it the standard way versus a quick fill? 

27 minutes ago, inthecuse said:

How long does it take to fill it the standard way versus a quick fill? 

Ever seen a nascar pit stop? Then imagine jumping on the back opening the cell the  funneling in the fuel out of a 5 gallon can. You could go a lap down of you arent careful

27 minutes ago, Devin Willis said:

Ever seen a nascar pit stop? Then imagine jumping on the back opening the cell the  funneling in the fuel out of a 5 gallon can. You could go a lap down of you arent careful

Yes I envisioned that as I was typing my question (the jumping on the back with the can and funnel).  But sometimes you get 12 caution laps without losing laps so that's another factor. 

It made me wonder tho because if Williamson didn't have one last year and finished 8th, how much did it play a factor?

I totally understand that every driver is looking for every advantage possible during a pit stop and not ways to go a position or lap down. 

Your stop will definitely be slower but you won’t lose a lap.   Nobody loses a lap on pit road under caution unless that rule is changing this year? 

9 minutes ago, 22racingteam said:

Your stop will definitely be slower but you won’t lose a lap.   Nobody loses a lap on pit road under caution unless that rule is changing this year? 

I was pretty sure we could loose laps under yellow last year but if you cant you're still coming out of the pits last cor sure. Can you do it without one, sure but it's not going to do you any favors

Rules are posted on the SDW website:

• If the Caution Flag is displayed and you enter the pit, you will not lose a lap in the pits under that caution period UNTIL another Green flag is displayed AND a Green Flag lap is then scored completed. You may also lose a lap on the racetrack under green flag conditions.
  • A.) In any event that requires a pit stop and/or refueling, the use of two (2) dump/refueling cans at the same time will not be permitted. Only one (1) dump/refueling can, which may not exceed 12 US Gallons in capacity, will be permitted at one time.
  • For all events that require a fuel stop the quick fill connect must be located in the upper corner of the left rear quarter panel. The maximum filler spout size is 4-1/4 inches outside diameter by eight (8) inches long, then tapering over the next 8.5-inch to 3-inch diameter extending to an overall length of 18 inches. The filler tube must take a straight and direct route to the fuel cell from the quick fill connect with one 90-degree bend allowed. Quick fill tubes constructed of aluminum a maximum 3 inches in diameter will be permitted. A minimum of six (6) inches of 3-inch maximum inside diameter flex hose must be used between the end of the filler spout and fuel cell neck. Only one fuel filler tube is permitted with a maximum outside diameter of 3 inches. When a quick fill device is utilized there must be a vent line with a maximum inside diameter of 1.25 inches. The fuel vent line must take a straight and direct route from the fuel cell to the quarter panel and must be able to accept a catch-can with a one-way check valve. The one-way check valve must be a standard manufactured product available to everyone. If the check valve is not listed in a catalog with a part number and price it is not legal. The fuel vent line must positively fasten to the left rear corner of the rear panel.
  • And from the BB rule book - N. For any cars entered in the SDW Big Block Race the Quick Fill System must be installed for inspection prior to race.

I don't see where it says you must run a quick fill, unless you interpret the final line as requiring a quick fill since it *must* be installed prior to the race.