Sign in to follow this  
JAR1972

DIRT week long term

here is an update I found while scrolling through Twitter on the long term future of SDW in CNY. The State has authorized money to be used until 2025 to help subsidize holding the event in CNY. After 2025 though...who knows...

The state entered into an agreement with the World Racing Group in 2014 for Super Dirt Week to stay in Central New York for 10 years.

Since 2015, World Racing Group has chosen Oswego Speedway for the location of the race. The state has provided money for the races at Oswego Speedway.

At the Sept. 19, 2019 Empire State Development board meeting, the board approved an agreement for Empire State Development — the development agency of the state — to provide a grant of up to $3,629,000 to be used for the cost of facility conversion and expansion to support Super DIRT Week through 2025.

https://www.nny360.com/sports/recreationalsports/talks-underway-to-bring-super-dirt-week-to-oswego-for/article_f9ca2a0d-1f06-5e88-b820-deff017c5919.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

• Like 1

Damn that's a lot of money.. wasn't the first year only like $800K how the hell is it up to 3.6 million? As a tax payer I'm not happy about that.

The original money was suppose to be for upgrades and to prepare the track. 

• Haha 1

Oh Glenn can't be happy reading that!

A new camping area is part of the upgrade.  Hopefully finish replacing the rusted sections in the back stands along with a new restroom in back are part of the upgrades also!

23 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

Damn that's a lot of money.. wasn't the first year only like $800K how the hell is it up to 3.6 million? As a tax payer I'm not happy about that.

The original money was suppose to be for upgrades and to prepare the track. 

That grant would be allocated some place, regardless of the track. It’ll be spent no matter what. I’d rather it be spent upgrading Oswego Speedway, than something else.

• Like 3

Plans are to harvest all the top soil out of the green lot and the speedway has put in requests across the state to get as much road grindings as possible to cover the entire field. 

10 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

here is an update I found while scrolling through Twitter on the long term future of SDW in CNY. The State has authorized money to be used until 2025 to help subsidize holding the event in CNY. After 2025 though...who knows...

Say it with me now... CHARLOTTE. The World Finals basically is SuperDIRTWeek, just three days. Combine that with the World Short Track races the week before and you have a combined 9 days that offers more racing than SDW ever had.

8 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Say it with me now... CHARLOTTE. The World Finals basically is SuperDIRTWeek, just three days. Combine that with the World Short Track races the week before and you have a combined 9 days that offers more racing than SDW ever had.

They already have them, why would anyone in their right mind eliminate their biggest event of the year??? They’re already doing all 3 successfully, it ain’t gonna change.

22 hours ago, WheelsUpHammerDown10 said:

The state entered into an agreement with the World Racing Group in 2014 for Super Dirt Week to stay in Central New York for 10 years.

Since 2015, World Racing Group has chosen Oswego Speedway for the location of the race. The state has provided money for the races at Oswego Speedway.

At the Sept. 19, 2019 Empire State Development board meeting, the board approved an agreement for Empire State Development — the development agency of the state — to provide a grant of up to $3,629,000 to be used for the cost of facility conversion and expansion to support Super DIRT Week through 2025.

https://www.nny360.com/sports/recreationalsports/talks-underway-to-bring-super-dirt-week-to-oswego-for/article_f9ca2a0d-1f06-5e88-b820-deff017c5919.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Wow...Cuomo doesn't look half bad at this point.  Where's that F*ck Cuomo sign now?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HowieTheHat said:

Wow...Cuomo doesn't look half bad at this point.  Where's that F*uck Cuomo sign now?

Hopefully the sign is hanging in Albany......over the Legislative Building......LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seemed like if it does leave Oswego weedsport may be where it goes. If land is acquired around the speedway which is a possibility and track would be lengthened. That’s what I read anyways 

33 minutes ago, GoFast39Fan said:

Seemed like if it does leave Oswego weedsport may be where it goes. If land is acquired around the speedway which is a possibility and track would be lengthened. That’s what I read anyways 

Where did you read that Weedsport was going to be made bigger lol? If that was going to happen, it would have been done long before the upgrades.

• Like 1

Ok as I went and read it New York is not paying this money up front. WRG has to do the work and then they are paid after.  

37 minutes ago, Jack Brady said:

Ok as I went and read it New York is not paying this money up front. WRG has to do the work and then they are paid after.  

"after" is the correct word....after WRG kicks back a good sized chunk to that scumbag in Albany!

Right, and when NYS stops reimbursing them for all the work, will Oswego still make financial sense, or would it make more sense to, at that point, put all your eggs in one basket down South?

When we were running the Mile Labor Day, July and SDW with Glenn at the helm everyone thought, "but it's a success, ain't gonna change."

And here we are...

8 hours ago, jumper12a said:

Where did you read that Weedsport was going to be made bigger lol? If that was going to happen, it would have been done long before the upgrades.

It was in the area auto couple weeks ago. READ IT. Phelps said it was possible in future to hold SDW but everything would have to be made bigger including the track. He sure didn’t rule it out. Like I said READ IT. 

This is what it said exactly. “As a track operator at Weedsport we’d love to have it here. But we’d need more land and more racetrack. Never say never depending on what happens with the surrounding properties, but it would be long term not short term” said Phelps leaving the door open. 

13 hours ago, westracing01 said:

SDW is the crown jewel northeast modified event.....held yearly in the heart of northeast modified racing....it was to be held somewhat close to Syracuse because of the centralized location to most all that race these cars, along with the fact dirtcar and dirt week originated here. Why would we not only change a great event at Charlotte, but diminish what prestige dirtweek has. No matter what purse or event name you put on the modifieds in Charlotte, we are a 3rd string, support class. That will not change. It would be logistically terrible for tons of people who attend dirt week here, but may not be able to make the trip to Charlotte, that goes for lots of teams as well. Compared to hosting dirtweek in CNY,The event in Charlotte would lose money,prestige and participation.

• Like 3

I’m having a hard time picturing Weedsport being made big enough to host it with the boundaries they have on both sides of the track in the thruway, train tracks and road all right there.

dont get me wrong, id love to see it happen at Weedsport if Oswego isn’t feasible once/if the State stops helping pay for it, but just question how it could really happen there, especially with all the work that has already been done there....

Bunch of us were sitting around and talking about this during dirt week. A buddy of mine brought up instead of dumping all this money into Oswego and and basically taking a dirt track and turning it into pavement for the week. Why not run a week long series at a different tracks each night? Mix it up a little. Overall winner of the money has to average out the best finishes. It would hard on race teams and I personally thought it was a crazy idea. But a thought. 

12 hours ago, GoFast39Fan said:

This is what it said exactly. “As a track operator at Weedsport we’d love to have it here. But we’d need more land and more racetrack. Never say never depending on what happens with the surrounding properties, but it would be long term not short term” said Phelps leaving the door open. 

Kind of hanging your hopes on something nowhere close to definitive?

Super Dirt Week at Oswego Speedway was an excellent idea. The car count increasing each year along with the campers and fans is very impressive. It had to be close to a sellout this year as both the grandstands looked to be at maximum capacity. 

The parking has improved as well as the camping. With the upgrades in the making for the campers it's going to be even better next year. Free fan parking across the street from the speedway is awesome. The walk to the speedway is shorter than many tracks offer. There are many choices for food in walking distance to the speedway including grocery stores and restaurants. 

Oswego welcomes race fans like no other area. I'm glad it's in Oswego and hope it remains for many many years.

• Like 6

Seriously, DIRT cannot move SuperDIRT week out of NY state. Where else would they draw the fans and cars? If they tried to hold it in Central PA or Eldora or Charlotte, the grandstands would be much more sparse than NY. And NJ or Eastern PA is a possibility, but likely they would rather insist on their rules, not DIRT. So SuperDIRT Week is going nowhere ... while it is nice to see NY state supporting racing, the fact is, the event is not going to be a success anywhere out of this area, so I really wonder if spending tax dollars on that is wise.

On the other hand, I'd totally love to see the NY Racing Association (horses) gutted and get no state money. Total waste of money for a barbaric "sport".

Oswego is perfect for the race for 1 simple reason just like Syracuse was... Its neutral ground. No one has the advantage of racing there all year, because the racing there all year doesn't apply. Forget any of the camping etc... just that alone makes it the right thing. I'll be honest, at this point, I think Oswego is still viable as an asphalt facility because of SDW, and SDW is viable because of Oswego... Its a win win, and state money or not, Oswego loves its racing, they love the influx of tourism dollars, and they support the event as a community. By the time that money runs out I can only imagine what the upgrades to the facility will be like as every year they have made significant improvements. The green lot year 1 was an epic disaster... now, its only partially a disaster, and we (the fans camping there) as a whole have pretty much figured out how to handle it...last year the pits were beyond a disaster... this year? again improving significantly (and from what Mr Carter had to say, they didn't even accomplish all of the pit stuff they intended to this year as resources were diverted because the work they did this year took more than they had planned for it to be) Imagine what another 6 years will bring???

Like it or not...right now it’s the only thing we have.   I would think improvements will happen after each year. As far as the track, would track conditions get even be better if they get the dirt down even earlier, then maybe run some event week or two before SDW. Or open testing?