Sign in to follow this  
JAR1972

DIRT week long term

SDW is by far the biggest draw Oswego has as a facility....the classic brings people and some extra cars but the normal racing there sucks....tax money or not, it is better for the track to keep sdw. The property needs to be reconfigured to hold the amount of teams attending, the constant moving stuff in and out if the infield would help move the show along, and it would also help with pit traffic, just lining the equipment up constantly to move it in and out of the infield jams everything up. I always thought putting a hot pit or a staging area up off of turns 3/4 kind of like Charlotte would be a good idea, that hill is basically useless for parking and the equipment parked there could sit elsewhere....unless one of the horse tracks in the area (Vernon downs or canandaigua) wants to attempt the event Oswego is the only place for it at this point.

I think the staging isnt bad at if they fixed one thing... THE FANS... I walking the bridge that crossed by the "tech tent" so people leaving the stands weren't walking in front of cars would significantly improve everything... that by far is one of the absolutely biggest pains in the ass of the whole thing... There are people with no business being around an active pit area walking from the stands to catch the tram or back to the their campsites that pay no mind or attention to what is going on around them...

51 minutes ago, rpm72x said:

SDW is by far the biggest draw Oswego has as a facility....the classic brings people and some extra cars but the normal racing there sucks....tax money or not, it is better for the track to keep sdw. The property needs to be reconfigured to hold the amount of teams attending, the constant moving stuff in and out if the infield would help move the show along, and it would also help with pit traffic, just lining the equipment up constantly to move it in and out of the infield jams everything up. I always thought putting a hot pit or a staging area up off of turns 3/4 kind of like Charlotte would be a good idea, that hill is basically useless for parking and the equipment parked there could sit elsewhere....unless one of the horse tracks in the area (Vernon downs or canandaigua) wants to attempt the event Oswego is the only place for it at this point.

I have not been to Oswego to see the supers  in a bunch of years now.  But I figure the racing would improve if they took the wings back off.  Part of the appeal of going there when the cars did not have wings was that they would break loose and slide the rear off the corners

It is very congested and virtually impossible to separate the fans and the cars, there’s only so much room and a lot of people and cars there....I just see no need to constantly swap teams into and out of the infield....if they are going to have people walking amongst cars lining up in the pits, they may as well allow guys to just run everything out of the pits just like every other race during the season....allow teams in the infield for features only...

I will say if the numbers of up towards 4 million dollars spent upgrading the facility is true, they could have bought Fulton , made it bigger, upgraded the facility added grandstands and had a park next door that certainly accommodates tons of camping. 

12 minutes ago, leroy said:

I have not been to Oswego to see the supers  in a bunch of years now.  But I figure the racing would improve if they took the wings back off.  Part of the appeal of going there when the cars did not have wings was that they would break loose and slide the rear off the corners

Dirt cars slide the rears off every corner. I’ve been twice in the last 10 years....both times there was more excitement across the road in Walmart’s parking lot. I was in amazement watching the fans that were there stand up when they thought somebody might pass a car....those people apparently don’t know what real racing is. They probably shit down their leg when they seen how much passing takes place on dirt. For as boring as the 200 was a couple weeks back, compared to an asphalt race there....it was an edge of your seat, nail biter of epic proportions. 

• Confused 2

I think others have said this before or some where ,Rolling Wheels would as is Weedsport better idea than Oswego is now for SDW. I rather go to Oswego to see the ROC pavement modified or the Wheelen tour. 

I would rather see BOTH Weedsport & The Wheels utilized.....camping at either track....run a 100 laps at the Wheels & a 100 laps at the Port....combine finishes & determine the finishing order on points

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Friers said:

I see A LOT of wishful thinking in some of these posts.

I think the money spent at Oswego could be better spent at place like Rolling Wheels,yeah it be wishful. 

• Like 1

Guys, let go of Rolling Wheels. DIRT sold the thing and they have no interest in buying it back nor does the current owner have any intention to do anything there other than grow weeds. 

You'd be better off petitioning NY's worthless governor to rebuild the mile.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

Guys, let go of Rolling Wheels. DIRT sold the thing and they have no interest in buying it back nor does the current owner have any intention to do anything there other than grow weeds. 

There is a rumor out there that Corcoran is leasing the Wheels for special shows next year & he has been spotted doing some work there

9 hours ago, HowieTheHat said:

Kind of hanging your hopes on something nowhere close to definitive?

Not hanging my hopes on anything. Just stating what was reported. I will go wherever SDW goes. Been going since 86 don’t plan on stopping 

9 minutes ago, racer80 said:

There is a rumor out there that Corcoran is leasing the Wheels for special shows next year & he has been spotted doing some work there

Not for nothing, but unless I hear this from Jeremie himself, it's nothing but rumor and a tough one to swallow at that. When Jeremie and Lori were there the last time, let's just say they weren't treated very well. Sometimes regretful things are said at the heat of the moment, but if what they were saying was true, they vowed never to get involved there again. 

Just now, BobMiller said:

Not for nothing, but unless I hear this from Jeremie himself, it's nothing but rumor and a tough one to swallow at that. When Jeremie and Lori were there the last time, let's just say they weren't treated very well. Sometimes regretful things are said at the heat of the moment, but if what they were saying was true, they vowed never to get involved there again. 

Like I said, just a rumor but I sure hope it's true

12 hours ago, rpm72x said:

It is very congested and virtually impossible to separate the fans and the cars, there’s only so much room and a lot of people and cars there....I just see no need to constantly swap teams into and out of the infield....if they are going to have people walking amongst cars lining up in the pits, they may as well allow guys to just run everything out of the pits just like every other race during the season....allow teams in the infield for features only...

I will say if the numbers of up towards 4 million dollars spent upgrading the facility is true, they could have bought Fulton , made it bigger, upgraded the facility added grandstands and had a park next door that certainly accommodates tons of camping. 

1 - I agree that the swapping in and out sucks but how else are you going to do it. The way you mentioned would not work in my opinion. Once the race starts the infield becomes a hot pit. This would be way too dangerous for a driver to be ripping around in the tight pit space at Oswego.  This would also mean they'd have to do some modification to the wall to keep both the exit and entry open at all times.  Although I did see a woman almost get taken out Sunday on the infield when she was walking across with her dog where the drivers come into the pit on the backstretch. Not the drivers fault. 

2 - when was Fulton for sale? 

5 hours ago, inthecuse said:

1 - I agree that the swapping in and out sucks but how else are you going to do it. The way you mentioned would not work in my opinion. Once the race starts the infield becomes a hot pit. This would be way too dangerous for a driver to be ripping around in the tight pit space at Oswego.  This would also mean they'd have to do some modification to the wall to keep both the exit and entry open at all times.  Although I did see a woman almost get taken out Sunday on the infield when she was walking across with her dog where the drivers come into the pit on the backstretch. Not the drivers fault. 

2 - when was Fulton for sale? 

I know teams need to use the infield on race day, imo it’s just a huge waste of time swapping all week prior to the features. Fulton is not currently for sale, John has said numerous times he would sell it if the correct offer came in, which is nowhere near the government money figure. He didn’t pay near that much for Fulton and brewerton.

55 minutes ago, dingwallmotorsports said:

build a tunnel

Not really a viable option, turns 3 and 4 were built on fill to begin with... That would be a nightmare... 

If you were on a crew that was stuck in the infield the first year and left to roast in the sun, having to haul 3 times as much stuff in because you couldn't get back to your trailer, the way they do it now is a godsend!.

Honestly tho, to make it smoother would be to just do some work routing the fans thru the pit area to the stands a little better... Right now those fans and the cars end up occupying the same space at several occasions, primarily at the "point" where the roads Y (by the Hoosier and VP trucks) and where they come down the ramp by the tech tent....Load in is pretty straight forward, its the load out, with fans leaving the stands, or the lining up as fans are headed to the stands where it gets congested and well, pretty stupid.... The general ticket does NOT get you access to the infield.. so anyone in theory, should have a pit band, and have a clue...

11 minutes ago, The Rabbitt said:

Not really a viable option, turns 3 and 4 were built on fill to begin with... That would be a nightmare... 

What about in the center of the backstretch, where the crossover gate is now?  

Not saying its still not a viable option because i'd imagine the cost to do so would be extreme, but it would allow teams / fans / media the ability to get in and out of the infield (at least on foot) without having to wait until the next time they load cars in and out. 

There is no way to do that without some kind of deal between the Toresse Brothers (track owners) and DIRT to do the work in the off season. DIRT cannot build a tunnel in the month they have control of the track.

If it's going to be Oswego beyond 2025, then I'd say OK, let's get everyone together and sit down to make a plan that benefits everyone. Oswego builds the tunnel (and paves the track while they're at it) in exchange for DIRT rebuilding the Green Lot so it's not a quagmire. It's a win for both, can be utilized by both and will make a lot of people happier on both sides.

But, there has to be a longer term deal and even more cooperation between the two parties than there is now. No one is going to make that kind of financial investment into the facility for only 6 years... Which I'm sure if we could see the fine print, DIRT has an out within that time frame should a venue more viable become available.

22 hours ago, westracing01 said:

I did not know these facts. Sure puts different thought on things.

I can't see SDW going to any other venue at this time. Oswego has room (barely) for approximately 800 campsites, over 300 pit spots and still have some room for parking plus the large amount of seating capacity, I don't know of any other facility in the area where modifieds are run that can handle that many people and equipment, at least one where there isn't already a major event for modifieds. The community loves the event, and the Oswego mayor this year has said he'll do what it takes to keep the event there long term. From what I've been told by the WRG officials, they like having the race there also. It's an iconic race track, and no one has any home track advantage. Yes there are still issues that need to be addressed, but there has been a noticeable positive difference in the facility and how the event is run since the first SDW event there.

Personally I think the next change that needs to be made is to schedule as much as possible at night. They need to get away from the Syracuse mindset and truly embrace this race for what it now is, a classic short track dirt race, which are all run at night!  If they still want to run the satellite shows, run them Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday and leave the rest of the week for racing at Oswego.  

• Like 9