OK, I understand the "Live" pit stop argument, but it ain't like we don't change tires during a regular Saturday race if we have a flat. That's a helluva lot more hectic than a planned stop you can prepare for. The only difference between a mad scramble Saturday night stop and a planned stop is putting in fuel. 

If you run all 200 laps as green laps, then you can't lose a lap under yellow in the pits, which means you don't need the quick fill. All you need is a fuel jug, funnel and screwdriver, which is exactly what we have every Saturday night. 

That would keep your pit stop strategy, reduce the specialized equipment, get the entire team involved (you need 4 or 5 guys to do two tires and fuel) and make it generally safer as you won't have to hurry like a bunch of mad bastards to stay on the lead lap. Start running 200 lappers in this fashion and I see no reason to shorten the race. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Racerfan2003 said:

1AC7DFC2-0562-4794-A6EE-854B210596B7.jpeg

That's cold. 2 years ago, ESPN did a 30 for 30 special (or one of those specials) on the Bills inability to win any of the 4 super bowls they were in. They interviewed Scott Norwood, he was almost in tears (to this day)  relating how by missing the FG,  he feels like he let so many people down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chas71 said:

That's cold. 2 years ago, ESPN did a 30 for 30 special (or one of those specials) on the Bills inability to win any of the 4 super bowls they were in. They interviewed Scott Norwood, he was almost in tears (to this day)  relating how by missing the FG,  he feels like he let so many people down.

I saw that it was pretty interesting special 

Live pit stops are not a part of regular modified dirt track racing. The showcase event should showcase what teams have been doing all year...

That being the case, then we should run a 30 or 35 lap feature because that's what we do all year.

• Like 2

The rules for the 200 lap race at SDW state that you can't go a lap down under caution.

Track conditions this year were not ideal for passing like they were in the past in the 200, it's great for everyone when it's sunny and relatively warm, but it's not good for the track when a majority of the racing takes place during the day. BTW the track crew did a great job for the amount of laps on the track and the weather conditions.  

Live pit stops present a challenge to teams that gets everyone involved on the team. Deciding strategy, being on the crew that goes over the wall, and talking to the driver on the radio all help determine how well the team does. I believe crew members like having that responsibility.

I have never run a lap in a race at Oswego that I was just biding my time or trying to save something. It's generally not hard on tires and you will need fuel regardless, plus you usually can pass there. so there's really no reason to conserve. 

I like the way the race is, my only suggestion would be to move the racing to night time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gary tomkins said:

The rules for the 200 lap race at SDW state that you can't go a lap down under caution.

Track conditions this year were not ideal for passing like they were in the past in the 200, it's great for everyone when it's sunny and relatively warm, but it's not good for the track when a majority of the racing takes place during the day. BTW the track crew did a great job for the amount of laps on the track and the weather conditions.  

Live pit stops present a challenge to teams that gets everyone involved on the team. Deciding strategy, being on the crew that goes over the wall, and talking to the driver on the radio all help determine how well the team does. I believe crew members like having that responsibility.

I have never run a lap in a race at Oswego that I was just biding my time or trying to save something. It's generally not hard on tires and you will need fuel regardless, plus you usually can pass there. so there's really no reason to conserve. 

I like the way the race is, my only suggestion would be to move the racing to night time.

yep I agree, dirt tracks and daytime sunshine are a terrible mix

• Like 1

So years ago after Labor day every track had a 200 lap with pitstop race. Dirt car should buy the wheels and return it to glory. 3 races a year like the fairgrounds....It would be a perfect spot for it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, westracing01 said:

I laugh when everyone says DIRT should by The Wheels... They're the ones who sold it in the first place!

10-4 on that!😀

Back to the original topic, I’m surprised Mahaney wasn’t suspended. Whether justified or not, you simply shouldn’t be allowed to get out of your car and attack someone else. The risk of injury is great and I just don’t see why this went unpunished 

8 hours ago, JohnyC said:

Back to the original topic, I’m surprised Mahaney wasn’t suspended. Whether justified or not, you simply shouldn’t be allowed to get out of your car and attack someone else. The risk of injury is great and I just don’t see why this went unpunished 

I like Mike... known him since he first started racing. But after seeing this video and seeing another where he took out Brett Hearn intentionally earlier this year, one would understand a suspension.

• Like 1

After what happened at Canandaigua a few years ago.  We definitely should not have drivers exiting out of their cars on a hot track.  Anyone dispute this?

On top of that.  On the video I watched, Mike ends up falling on his ass with cars driving by at a fairly fast clip.   Mike absolutely should have been penalized.

No clue why Dirtcar stuck their heads in the sand on this one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobMiller said:

I like Mike... known him since he first started racing. But after seeing this video and seeing another where he took out Brett Hearn intentionally earlier this year, one would understand a suspension.

I like him too. But that’s about as straightforward a suspension as I can think of. Just a real stupid move. But an even worse reaction (as in none) by the governing body

• Like 1

He ran over to Larry's car too when they had their incident between 1 and 2 Brewerton. If Larry was on the wing he might've helped him off.  It didn't go that far tho.  Just Mike voicing his displeasure of Larry not having brakes. 

2 hours ago, JohnyC said:

I like him too. But that’s about as straightforward a suspension as I can think of. Just a real stupid move. But an even worse reaction (as in none) by the governing body

No argument from me, I agree completely. As I said, I like Mike. He did apologize on Mandee's video, but he had to. Now it's the sanctioning body's turn.  You can't "selectively" hand out penalties based on who the participants are.

• Like 2

I’m not sure why they wouldn’t suspend him other than not wanting to stop a guaranteed car at Charlotte from going. He isn’t a huge dirtcar name, isn’t running for any points title, so car count purposes would be my only guess. 

Remember when it seemed most tracks made rules about not ever exiting your car on the track (unless on fire) after the LoL incident but now it may still be rule at most tracks but seems it's not enforced.

I like daytime 200's myself, (as long as it isn't rough), it is a totally different thing than the norm.